back to article Verizon to launch less than brill billing service

US operator Verizon will allow online retailers to add to the customer's mobile phone bill, providing just the kind of out-of-channel security that's proved so unpopular this side of the pond. The service, which will be launched this spring, is based on BilltoMobile and allows a Verizon customer buying something on a website …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pirate Peter
    FAIL

not on my phorne

so what is to stop a member of the family who is on pay as you got borrowing my phone which is contract, getting the text message code and charging things to my account (being family they will know the poost code / zip code)

not enough security for me, same as contactless credit cards and wave the phone at a pay point

big fail

peter

1. NightFox

@Pirate Peter

And how is that any worse than a credit card?

2. Paul_Murphy

Please call me when

mobile phones have a fingerprint scanner or similar - maybe a 6-digit pin or some other way of making sure it's me thats doing the purchase.

They are just too likely to get lost or stolen, and I don't want mine to be used by anyone else but me.

ttfn

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

too much hassle?

I know it does not seem like much, but its several separate steps... put in your number, twiddle your thumbs / look for your phone, get the text, find the website has timed out, go to your email to be able to log in, put in your code....

Just let me pay on the computer in one step, thank you.

I am in a diminishing minority who likes me phone as a phone, i've got the other stuff covered thanks.

4. Al Jones

Credit Cards companies cut?

What, the mobile phone companies are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts?

From what I've heard, the "processing fees" for any premium SMS based payment schemes make Credit Cards look like a bargain. 70c fee for a 1EUR transaction type of thing.

5. davenewman

Catching up with Kenya

where people have been able to transfer money via mobile phones for some time.

6. fcheung

Greedy network operators

The pay off from £1 text message is something like 60-65p. 17.5% of that is VAT, but the network operators take a big slice (and virgin used to take enormous amounts). Last time I looked payforit wasn't any better in that respect.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like