back to article Google to flee China on April 10, says report

Google may exit China on April 10, according to a report citing an unidentified sales agent for the company. The Shanghai-based China Business News also cites a Google China employee saying that the company will announce its Chinese plans on Monday, March 22. This will apparently include information on how it will compensate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. sandman

Missing a trick

Wouldn't April 1st be more appropriate?

2. Lionel Baden

i wonder what they stole

i mean to piss off google so quickly and so much i cant help but wonder what it was

1. John Lilburne

Well it won't be about stolen IP

Google have never been concerned about stolen IP before. Opps forgot we're talking about 'their' IP.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doubt a full pullout, if at all.

Think of all those billions of super valuable chinese advert clicks.

4. Neal 5

Believe it when I see it.

This is typical Chinese negotiations when things reach the Mexican stand off stage. Barter like f+++ for the hardware until theres no profit, and then the spare parts contract comes up for renewal, which the chinese sign off without looking at, and that's where you make your money, on the spare parts. Google do not need a search presence in China, just Ad brokerage on whatever replaces it.

5. Daniel 1

I find this worrying

Whatever it is fashionable, to think about Google's motives, it is quite legitimate to suspect those motives of Baidu and Tencent (no one does so, of course, because many people outside China are unaware of who Tencent and Baidu even are.) Now Google is walking out of China, leaving the world's largest internet user base in the hands of Baidu, Tencent, and the assorted minnows, who are willing to play at along to Chinese laws, such as Yahoo and MSN.

Most of the things that are written about Google, here on the Register (world's biggest single-ownership network; end-to-end delivery and control of all internet access; active monitoring and reporting of all user activity, and so on) - while possibly NOT true of Google - almost certainly ARE true of Baidu and may be true of Tencent - they're not actually doing evil, you understand: just taking the pragmatic appraoch, required of anyone wishing to do business in th People's Republic.

Two days ago, the Register reported the words of a 'certain network researcher', who estimated that Google was third, in size, behind 'two other network providers' that he couldn't name for 'Commercial Reasons'. Well, I'd like to suggest Tencent and Baidu as two extremely likely candidates - as networks that are far larger than Google.

I would also like to suggest 'Commercial' activities such as the monitoring and restricting of Internet access to Chinese citizens, as exactly the kinds of things that might be, both extremely rewarding, from a financial point of view - but also the sort of work that someone might be a bit shy of naming - if they were to be 'commercially' involved in it, themselves.

Whatever. Phear The Google, if it pleases you to do so: here in the West, we still have to invent our Boogiemen.

1. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge

@Daniel 1

The existence of other search providers out there that are enormous and of dubious morality does not absolve Google. That you are surrounded by sinners does not automatically make you a saint.

I'll go right on fearing Google. I'll simply add Baidu and Tencent to the list.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Baidu

Baidu I suspect are very pleased.

USA government I suspect is very pleased.

Google is likely to be relieved, and will likely get a kick back from the US government for a job well done. While google get back to censoring Australian search results for undesired satire.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Compensation...

I wonder if they will compensate their Chinese employees in the same manner as the Chinese government compensates the people it evicts from housing 'cause it wants the land for something else... ie, sweet F.A.

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

please explain!

Why is getting hacked a reason to stop censoring search result?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

maybe?

maybe baidu wanted to stole an automatic censorship algorithm from google?

2. Simon C

perhaps

am I am just summising here:

perhaps its because when google asked China for help in locating said perpetrators, China turned the other cheek stating quite unequivocaly to Google that their relationship is purely one of take take take.

As a result, Google in its pi$$ed of state decided theyare not going to play ball either.

What follows is probably a long protracted discussion about who f$cked who over, whlst at the same time acting like the proverbial swan as though nothing is the matter.

The result of the discussion is that google has probably tried to dominate somewhere it just isnt welcome and as a result, is leaving.

thats my own take on the matter.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Re: please explain!

See comment: "i wonder what they stole"...

The Chinese hackers must've found something particularly compromising when they hacked Google. Documents that spoiled a Chinese merger, key pieces of Google's search technology, or anything they had to report as stolen to the DoD because of export restrictions.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If

If China wanted to steal these kinds of details they would simply use one of the tens of thousands of Chinese nationals working in these companies. Why go to the hassle of hacking in when you just kidnap a guys grandmother?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

mighty?

the "mighty" google defeated by hackers.

if this is true, the big loser is indeed "google"

1. Ammaross Danan
      FAIL

The true problem

The biggest FAIL I've read about in this whole story is that Google was hacked because its userbase was still using IE6 as an active browser. THEY MAKE CHROME FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! I would have thought their mandate would be "Use Chrome or get fired." Of course, unless their one of those companies using some flavour of software that simply requires IE6 to run properly. Then they just fall into the category of "Why didn't you use Chrome when surfing MyFace and SpaceBook at work???"

Fail to Google and M$ IE6

1. Tom Chiverton 1
        WTF?

Umm

Umm if they didn't have IE6 how would they test with it ?

They've caned IE6 support *now* of course...

11. Beau
    WTF?

Maybe?

Maybe Google has just realized censorship can spread, China today, Australia tomorrow, who next week UK? That would be their whole business model tits up!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Will they stand up for the full game?

So what happens if Google decides that it won't be indexing any of China's companies or any of their products? It would be very hard on China's economy if people have to start looking elsewhere for cheap junk.

13. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Straw that broke the camels back

"i mean to piss off google so quickly and so much i cant help but wonder what it was"

Google is not homogenous -- they were both getting flack from outside for entering into China (and going along with the censorship regime) to begin with, and also from what I've read there was strong dissent *inside* Google about entering the Chinese market for the same reasons. This hacking incident, I don't think that alone was it, but I think being in China was already unpopular within the company, and it was "the straw that broke the camels back".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like