back to article Dell Vostro V13

You know where you stand with business-oriented laptops. They're chunky, dull-looking machines with all the pizazz of a rainy afternoon in Chester. Dell's Vostro range has been a case in point: a collection of low-power, low-charisma laptops likely to appeal only to the most frugal of IT department bean counters. Dell Vostro …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

meh

Wont be giving up my Macbook Pro 13"...

2. Not Invented Here

"We couldn't figure a way to get the bottom plate off"

It's a Dell business laptop - the service manual is on the Internet:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vosV13/en/sm/TD_Bottom_Base.htm

3. DM2
    Thumb Up

Acer Timeline 8371

I would take a look at the above (or 8471 if you want a DVD drive). Battery life is great, the specs are better and the price is lower. Importantly, it comes with w7 pro - the Dell comes with Home edition which I think excludes it from being classed as a business machine especially when doing comparisons.

4. spegru
    Linux

These laptop reviews are all very well but....

They're all saddled with the same windose OS.

It must be really hard for the makers to differentiate themselves with that.

Why dont you do a bacl to back review of same or v.similar laptops with Different OS on board?

Yknow: XP/Vista/Mac/Ubuntu/Fedora, and/or MSoffice/Openoffice?

Then the performance differences could be interesting!

5. Stephen Lindsey

Vostro

I went to check on the new Vostro 3000 at Dell. Starting at the base model i changed the OS from win32 to win64 at which point I got a warning telling me that, and I quote, "A 64 Bit Operating System requires a Minimm of 6144MB of Memory." (spelling error is theirs). As if this wasn't bad enough they don't offer that amount of memory on the base model. I used dell chat to try and tell them but I couldn't get them to understand

6. b166er

DVD

i installed Windows 7 on a Presario in 12 minutes the other day, from boot to desktop, using a USB key. Why the hell would I want to use a DVD drive for this purpose. Seriously, optical drives are old hat.

I might at a push, have a Blu-Ray drive in the living room, but I'd rather download it (legally) and, using the money saved not buying the physical item (???), to buy extra storage for the media server.

Still, the Vostro is eye-candy I suppose, but a single core sucks.

7. John Square

So...

Why would you buy this when you can get the acer 3810TZ for less?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presumably Dell will be doing one of their external optical jobbies

which it seems every Dell shop has about a bazillion of kicking about doing nothing. I swear, when humanity's time on this Earth is done, it'll be the insects and the Dell optical drives that take the reigns

9. Hayden Clark Silver badge
    Happy

1.4Ghz dual core? 2GB RAM?

That would be ample to run, um, Windows XP :-)

10. David Gosnell

"1366 x 768 resolution is fine"

If it has to be widescreen at all, then 1280 x 800 or no sale, sorry. Unless "business use" has suddenly come to mean watching DVDs on the non-existent optical drive, of course...

11. hj

mmmm

A business laptop with only 130 minutes of battery life does not sound very appealing to me...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mobile Broadband

The V13s sold before end of January did have mobile boradband - like my V13. But it does have problems when the laptop goes into power save modes. Otherwise a great business laptop and it does look expensive :-)

13. nichomach
    Thumb Up

I DO like the look of this...

...and I think they're on to a winner; even the dual core version's really well priced for what you get. Have to say, though, I don't think it's going to do their Adamo sales any favours; perhaps they're worried about machines like the Acre Timelines stealing their lunch money more than that, though.

14. Z80
    FAIL

we couldn't figure a way to get the bottom plate off

RTFM?

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vosV13/en/sm/TD_Bottom_Base.htm

15. Matt 13

horrible...

I on the whole like Dell laptops, they do the job well for the price, but this, like the adamo is just horrendous! yes, it is thin, but it looks awkward from every angle no thankyou!

lack of optical drive? meh, id rather have the space devoted to more battery any day of the week...

and how is a machine geared at cloud computing any use if its barely able to stay up for 2 hours! and thats on the review model without 3G clawing away at the battery!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Better than you think

I use my V13 on 3G and with WiFi and I get 3 hours of use - and I have the most powerful version! And people do comment on the design - in a good way.

16. Sulphur Man

Flawed comparison

Any reason why the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge, an obvious rival at this pricepoint, is not included in the performance comparisons?

17. Tom Samplonius
    Thumb Up

V13 is available with Ubuntu

It is interesting that the Vostro V13 is available with Ubuntu pre-installed, so no Windows tax. At least on www.dell.ca.

The pity is, the Ubuntu editions of the V13 are only available with the Celeron and the Solo CPU options (no Core2 option), and nothing can be customized, not even RAM size.

18. The lone lurker

Almost netbook money?

£422? what the hell happened to 'real' netbooks, you know, the cheap small computers running Linux that were promised to become sub-£100 machines?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like