back to article AMD: OEMs primed for Opteron 6100s

This being the week when Intel is rolling out its six-core Xeon 5600 processors for the workhorse two-socket server market, it's a little tough for rival Advanced Micro Devices to get some attention. But the "Westmere-EP" hubbub is starting to die down, and AMD thought this was a good time to remind everyone that it has its own …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

it'd be a disaster for intel

It'd be an anti trust disaster for intel if AMD lost the tier 1s, Intel can't afford to lose AMD as a competitor.

2. Nexox Enigma

SuperMicro

"""For some reason, Super Micro was left off the list of server makers supporting the chips, which is odd given that Super Micro is the king of the whitebox server makers and is no doubt ready to go with Opteron 6100 systems."""

As far as I know SuperMicro is an Intel shop - a brief perusal of their website shows nothing but Xeons (and the occasional Atom?)

I'd love to see SM throw a single 12 core Opteron into a 1U and use their UIO card magic to get 3 pci-e slots in there. It'd be a nice upgrade from our dual Xeon 5400s, and probably wouldn't have quit as many cooling problems (FB-DIMMS are evil.) Unfortunately the 12 cores and the G34 socket are apparently just for dual and quad socket boxes, so if you want 8-12 cores, you have to waste motherboard / chassis space on a second socket. Crappy if you ask me.

1. Wallyb132
      FAIL

RE: SuperMicro

Either youre blind or we "peruse" different SuperMicro websites, because i did a quick perusal of their site as well and came up with 32 1u server, 12 2u, 10 4u, 3 blade severs and 1 mid tower server all based on AMD.

I'm sure you'll see a few Magny Cours boxes pop up in the near future.

3. Captain TickTock
    Headmaster

Mangy Cours..??

Let's wait at least until the reviews are in before we start calling them mangy ;-)

( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/17/amd_mangy_cours_partners/ )

4. the_leander

RE SuperMicro

They might be intel only now, but once upon a time they did a sterling trade in multi socket AMD boards, indeed they were one of the only places you could get a dual socket AthlonMP (the multi processor variant of the AlthonXP) board from as a consumer. Likewise they used to do a number of Opteron boards too.

It's a shame that now, finally AMD seem to be getting their act together, there is no one left to buy their gear...

1. Wallyb132
      WTF?

Please do not feed the Trolls and Retards

"They might be intel only now, but once upon a time they did a sterling trade in multi socket AMD boards, indeed they were one of the only places you could get a dual socket AthlonMP (the multi processor variant of the AlthonXP) board from as a consumer. Likewise they used to do a number of Opteron boards too."

Unless something has changed in the last 3 minutes*, since i was last on SuperMicro's website, It would seem that there are some inaccuracies in the above statement...

1. "They might be intel only now" - Epic Fail

2. "but once upon a time they did a sterling trade in multi socket AMD boards" - They still do!

3. "Likewise they used to do a number of Opteron boards too." - They still are and complete servers too!

4. "It's a shame that now, finally AMD seem to be getting their act together, there is no one left to buy their gear..." - Really?

There will always be a generation of us who, no matter the merits of their hardware, will never buy intel gear, never, ever again! after all the years of abusing thy customer (dating back to the early 90's for me) , this customer found an alternative and never looked back!

*Please see the following website to validate the above statements:

http://www.supermicro.com/aplus/

5. JF-AMD
    Stop

wrong!

First, tier 1 support will be there at launch. Secondly, SuperMicro has been showing product since November. Thirdly, SuperMicro has been showing a 1p G34 for a while now.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

SOracle are already lining up

Bud do they still count as teir 1?

7. SFC
    FAIL

Supermicro isn't intel only

Supermicro isn't intel only and never has been, you just need to learn to use a web browser.

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like