back to article Sony Bloggie

With our lives increasingly being played out on Twitter, Flickr, Facebook and Youtube, the market is awash with pocketable camcorders from the likes of Flip, Kodak and Creative to satisfy this on-line craving. Indeed, just about all the players in this game have released revitalised HD versions recently, with Sony’s Bloggie …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Ducks

....look at the cute duckies...awww....

1. Marvin the Martian
      Pint

A comment as pointless as the device itself.

Excellent, well played Sir.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Well..

Although it's a horribly pointless device, has a typical Sony-small-camera fiddly interface and is accompanied by the most nauseatingly Barleyesque lifestyle PR photography imaginable, the software's crap and produces distinctly mediocre images...

..at least Sony have learned on the memory stick thing! It always takes them years of lost sales- for example, the Walkman digital fiasco with compulsory ATRAC transcoding. However, they are learning. This is good, compact digitals are an insanely competitive market these days, and hobbling youself due to management stupidity is a problem, even if you're the size of Sony.

Good on yer, Sony. You have a very tarnished reputation due to the last few years, maybe this is a sign that some people with clues are starting to make decisions..

3. OldDogNewWalk
    Go

Well, well, well...

In the dim and distant past pretty much every bit of Hi-Fi and consumer electronics I owned was Sony kit.

You paid more but got a top quality product.

In time other manufacturers began to raise the quality bar up to (and beyond) the Sony level, but the Sony *brand* was always more expensive.

Being geared more towards quality than brand loyalty I began to buy a more mixed bag of kit.

Then Sony decided they were big and important enough to force their customers into their over-priced proprietary Memory Stick *standard*. Since then, I haven't bought a single Sony product. Why would I lock myself in?

If their move toward SD continues I might begin to consider buying Sony again. (Although not this particular overpriced piece of poo)

4. The Indomitable Gall

Why do ElReg camcorder reviews...

Why do the Register's camcorder reviews never discuss compression ratios and the potential for editing and processing?

Telling us it's MP4 is all well and good, but how heavily compressed does it go? Will the video degrade into a hellish series of blocks if we run it through Final Cut and reencode it to any form of MPEG? HD's all well and good, but right now I don't know if any given HD device is going to give me better results than an old SD tape camcorder in terms of final picture quality.

I look at the "pocket" HD camcorders and the handheld HD camcorders and despite the big price difference, they seem to have very similar recording times -- are they using the same compression ratios? Are they *good* compression ratios? I don't want to shell out £500 to get superior optics only to find that the software cheats me out of picture quality so that I'd be as well off with a £100 pocket model.

Enquiring minds need to know!

5. A B 3

Re: Sony Quality

If they build it it Japan it is going to be top quality. Nowadays you won't find much difference among the big brands because they are all made in the same chinese factories.

1. Jaques Croissant

err, no.

That logic is bullchips.

THey have made plenty of flimsy, shoddy crap in Japan, too. Hell, the lamentable MDR-V700DJ headphones (those silver ones for the partially deaf to dress like a DJ), which sound like aural rape and often snap at the swivel, were made in Japan for years- and don't seem to have become any better or worse for being made elsewhere.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

YouTuber ?

Ah, Raisa, ze Potato Show ees returning!

7. Bilgepipe
    Headmaster

Eh?

What does "1/2.5in" mean?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Torch

Reminds me of the swivel torches you used to get back in the day. I hated them, so inexplicably I will hate this camcorder...

9. mafoo

The name...

I believe this automatically gets a 0% score for such an awful name.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like