back to article Barclays' chip and PIN readers will work for other banks

Barclays Bank is introducing a handheld chip and PIN card reader for the home in an escalation of its online banking security. Other chip and PIN cards will work with the Barclays device, not just cards issued by Barclays. Barclays has designed its system in accordance with standards issued by payment association APACS. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Colin Miller

Easy way to get two auth codes

Unfortunatly, most people, if presented with a login failed screen, will enter the details again.

By automaticaly failing the first login attempt, this behavour will give man-in-the-middle attacks two authentication codes.

2. Paul Norton

platform independence?

Hopefully this means that we'll be able to use the system from any operating system. If it was a usb plug-in module with only windows drivers available, I'd be trying to avoid it for as long as possible because I'd rather use internet banking from my linux PC than from the family windows PC even with a PINsentry.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gone phishing?

Lets think now. You have to use the PINsentry twice. Tricky one that eh? How could a phisher possibly encourage a victim to use the device twice?

Its a good job they'd never think of a bogus "login failed" message implying that the pin had been entered incorrectly or that the session had timed out and you had to login again.

4. Casper Dik

ABN AMRO two factor authentication

I'd like to correct the misconception about the ABN AMRO two factor authentication; the ABN two factor authentication is required at login and

when finally submitting the batch of transactions you have created.

The man in the middle attack worked by piggybacking a rogue transaction as part of the final submission. The bank now suggests to always verify your balance after submitting the transactions; not that a smart MITM could not subvert that check.

When rogue software on your computer interferes with your webbrowser,

the game is basically over except in those cases were there is an additional out of band message, e.g., an SMS detailing all submitted transactions is sent as part of the verification process.

This topic is closed for new posts.