back to article Apple's Mac - the ghostbuster's choice

Apple's Mac has long been the go-to machine of choice for creative designers and photographers. Scientific apps such as A/G Blast contribute to our understanding of the world around us. And now a tip from MacDailyNews points us to another creative realm in which the Mac is expanding human knowledge: investigation of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm a Mac

And so are the voices I keep hearing.

'Nuff said.

2. LuMan
    Coat

Lady Gaga??

If her deceased aunty lives inside her, would this be a bad (nec)romance??

Yep.. getting it now..

3. Sean Timarco Baggaley
    WTF?

So this article can be summed up as:

"Guy Uses Computer Shock!"

"Apple in Genuinely Useful, Non-Shovelware Software Bundle Horror!"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Mystery alright

It is a mystery to me why so many people pay 3 times over the odds for a glorified PC!

( Before you start I own 4 of them, I just can't understand how I got sucked in! )

1. Mick F

Another Mystery

I also got suckered by the Apple BS.

Happily back on W7 now but keep my MacBook Pro as it is the best Windows gaming laptop I have seen.

1. Marvin the Martian
        Troll

So you're trying to say...

It's not overpriced hence? Hm.

5. Christopher Rogers
    Pirate

I bet...

Derek Acorah uses a Mac too, and he's also full of shi....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

on the plus side

Since they are made of metal, they can be used to smack morons around the head...

(Plus they are resistant to windoze users drooling on them... (drooling from desire or just because they are windoze users is left to the choice of the reader.))

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They'd need to be

Splash resistant that is, to stop the fanboi ejaculate getting in the works whenever your lord Jobs announces a new piece of squeeeee.... Not that i'm suggesting Apple fanbois are tossers or anything you understand....

1. Andrew Newstead

oh?

Yes you are...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clearly they've been speaking to the wrong spirits

Surely at least one would have mentioned audacity. Maybe Stallman has to die first or something for them to hear about open source.

8. Neil 6
    Megaphone

Listen carefully...

....Mary loves Dick

9. Daniel 1

I suppose this goes to show...

Even paranormals have slow news days.

May I inquire who, at the Register, subscribes to the "Paranormal Daily News", and why?

1. Euchrid

As the article says...

"May I inquire who, at the Register, subscribes to the "Paranormal Daily News", and why?"

As contained in the story, the link to Paranormal news was posted on MacDailyNews - like the bulk of Mac-related news reporting on El Reg, stories originate from other sites.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

And don't forget ...

The iPad is released on Easter Monday - the day after He as risen ...

My vestments are big enough to have an inside iPad pocket ...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

What the hell is this all about eh?

I read the article. OK, some dude uploads videos to you tube and uses the software bundled with his mac. OK.

What's the story again?

1. Stone Fox
      Flame

the story?

Someone has found a use for a mac that DOESN'T sound like them trying to justifying the extortionate price.

Admittedly he's about as sane and truthful as your average mac fanboi...

2. Adrian Jones

Some people are never satisfied!

Usually the complaint about Odds & Sods articles is "Where's the IT angle?"

This is in Odds & Sods *and* it has an IT angle.

12. windywoo
    Jobs Horns

I'm a PC

And oooooooeeeeooooo I'm a oooooooooooooooooo Mac.

13. Elmer Phud
    FAIL

money, money, money

We'll , with all those con artists that call themselves 'mediums' (but some are rather large), 'ghosthunters' etc. etc. they would be able to afford Macs as they are happy to con/scare people out of millions.

It's all a load of Ghoulies!

14. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge

Garageband?

Recorded some ghostly voices? Can't quite make out what they're saying? First, you need to set them to a bossnova beat....

15. Samwise
    Alien

Still a ways behind the BBC Micro ...

Think Apple has a long way to go to catch up to Acorn's BBC Micro from the 80s.

In 1984-87, Ken Webster in Dodleston, UK, believed himself to be in contact with someone called Tomas Harden from the 16th-century, along with other characters including some claiming to be from the future - one of them being known as 2109 (or 2105). The messages are purported to have been left - somehow through the space-time continuum - on a humble BBC Model B fitted with an Acorn DFS upgrade. They were found on the editing screen of the ROM-based word processor EDWORD and within EDWORD files created on disk (or appended to them). Ken detailed the curious case in his now out-of-print book The Vertical Plane [1989 Grafton Books, ISBN: 0-586-20476-8], two episodes of a BBC 1 documentary series presented by Carol Vorderman [Out Of This World, 20 August 1996 & 27 August 1996] and in a Fortean Times article, [The Vertical Plane - FT108].

16. Robin

GSView

He can even run GhostView under X11 to make it easier.

Is there anything that Mac's _can't_ do?

17. The BigYin

FFS

There are no ghosts, spirits, phantasms, aliens*, alien spacecraft*, no alien abductions or any of that crap. It's all in their head.

Unexplained != Trans-dimensional Beings from the Dark Beyond (or whatever)

I guess if you are deluded enough to believe in that crap, you are deluded enough to pay through the nose for a basic laptop. :oP

*Well, not here anyway

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

And your proof is...?

Your claim that none of that exists is as founded as their claim that it does.

MacBook Pros are far from basic too. Well done on stepping out there and showing what a single-minded muppet some people are. Very brave.

1. The BigYin
        FAIL

There is no proof...

...and we should not leap to some complex and fantastical conclusion when something more prosaic (and as yet, unknown) may be lurking. Waking dreams, weather phenomenon, etc. The universe is strange enough without inventing more crap.

As for the price gibe....you did see the ":oP" didn't you?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

Apologies

I agree with that, but believing in something because of experience is fairly acceptable, even if your senses are being fooled (I have Narcolepsy syndrome and suffer from Waking Dreams and Sleep Paralysis, so I tend to experience some very weird things which my brain tells me are real), or through misinterpretation / lack of education.

Otherwise we're entering the realm of the metaphysical and Descartes, which is for another forum entirely!

And apologies - my sarcasm sense doesn't work in forums, e-mail, IMs, or IRC...! I think it's a lot to do with some in-built smiley filter I seem to have evolved over the years.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Unsurprising Boring Criticisms...

Is there a constructive purpose to claiming Macs are "3 times over the odds", or any other excessive criticism of Mac users?

At the end of the day, everybody has choice, which is great. I would never want to feel coerced into purchasing a product because it's the only real option available - it stifles competition and creates price hikes.

Personally, I use a Mac as my primary home and enterprise machines because it provides me with what I want: an open source and standards-based desktop system with the simplicity and power of a state-of-the-art user-experience. It comes packed with much more than Microsoft Windows does off-the-shelf, and allows me a great deal of freedom on how I manage my personal information and the choice of software I use.

Ironic, I know. I haven't bought an iPhone because I won't get that level of freedom, despite developing on it, and feeling the user experience is highly polished. Plus, I would hate to help encourage Apple to remove support for non-iPhone mobile devices in the future on their desktop OS.

I have over a dozen other OS variations on virtual machines for development purposes, and can honestly say Microsoft Windows 7 is a big improvement (not that Vista set the bar too high, but XP Professional was a decent OS IMO). I still prefer the Mac, despite Windows being my primary OS series for years, and idolizing Bill Gates whilst still at college.

I don't use Linux as my primary OS because I'm tired of the amount of effort I have to go through to perform some tasks, but I like that too. I briefly moved over when Windows was finally annoying me far too much.

The point is, celebrate having choice, and that people are exercising theirs, rather than using every Windows and OS X article to throw jibes over the wall. It's more than a tad boring now.

And I'm posting anonymously for once because of my admission of Gates being my college idol...

Pro-open source.

Pro-open standards.

Pro-competition.

1. The BigYin
      Thumb Up

3 times the price?

Not really. When I looked at them I'd say they were (give or take) about right, but the tag appears to be about 1.5 times the cost of a similar Windows laptop (it will vary from OEM to OEM). You have to consider the build quality (which I am told is good) and thus discount all the low-end makers (e.g. Dell), then you have to consider the nVidia graphics card and other hardware spec (and discount entry-level machines) and finally consider the after sales support (which I am told is good).

So maybe you do appear to pay "over the odds", but you get what you pay for to a large extent I think.

I didn't by a Mac in the end...I decided I didn't need a laptop after all.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

"3 times over the odds"

It's was a joke in context of the article.

I am trying to say, that although I am a serious Mac user and Jobs Evangelist ( you did see the line under my joke about owning 4 of them? ) I am not so far up my own fundament that I can still laugh at myself!

Jeez you lot, lighten up a little!

19. Oninoshiko

hmm...

"GarageBand, another included application, allows you to do almost anything you can dream up with your ghostly audio files."

Anything you can dream up? Like... twitialling around with your audio until you get the results you want?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like