back to article US National Broadband plan goes to Congress

All Americans will be entitled to 4Mb/sec broadband, and America will have the fastest mobile network in the world, under the FCC's plan for the future of internet access. The Federal Communications Commission today presented the plan to Congress. The rest of us will have to wait until tomorrow to get the details, though a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eddy Ito

log 10 please

"setting the pace by extending the Universal Service Fund to pay for every American to have 4Mb/sec "actual download speeds"."

We can only hope it scales with the log of the speed. Given the current speed, 2.4kb/sec, covered by the Universal Service Fund is roughly $10 per line making a linear scaling over $15,000 a pop.

2. Mike Flugennock
    Thumb Down

Bigger, faster, more heavily censored/filtered?

No, thanks, I'll stick with my perfectly OK $60/month entirely-not-fucked-with broadband.

3. fishman

Costs

As the US deficit goes out of control, these bozos are continuing to spend like crazy.

4. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    FAIL

Party like it's 1999

4Mbps? At best this will be a few billion dollars spent cleaning up the splices of ancient telephone wires. Very little of the effort for this initiative will be of any use towards the future 50Mbps goals.

Can you hear that? That's the sound of modern nations laughing.

5. Quxy
    Thumb Down

Nice wish list, Julius...

...but there's no way Congress is ever going to allow most of this, given the huge amount of money that Verizon, SBC, and Comcast pay them to block anything that upsets the status quo. A bunch of legislators that can't pass even the most watered down health care reforms aren't going to tackle this.

And the "fastest ... wireless network of any nation"? In a country with 1/16 the population density of South Korea? Puleeze...

6. Bardlee
    Coat

And the money?

I thought America was broke? Bailing out the auto companies and spending billions on Healthcare.

Wait they will just print more money. My bad. Have at 'er. Recession again? Here we come!

Flameproof helmet please.

7. Nexox Enigma

Hmm...

@Bardlee:

"""I thought America was broke? Bailing out the auto companies and spending billions on Healthcare."""

Just because we have no money doesn't mean we can't spend it. Credit and Debt are pretty much the American way these days.

All I can think is that if any of this goes through, Congress is really just going to be paying for a massive scale-out of various botnets...

And as far as I can tell Comcast, ATT, etc will be plenty excited about this, since those billions of dollars will be going straight to them, with just a couple mid level bureaucrats checking the receipts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like