back to article Google '99.9%' certain to pull China search plug

Google is now "99.9 per cent" certain it will shut down its Chinese search engine, according to a report citing "a person familiar with the company's thinking". The Financial Times reports that the web giant has drawn up detailed plans for closing Google.cn, saying the company's discussions with Chinese authorities reached an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. gollux
    Badgers

Only 3 nines?

Let us know when they get to 5 nines so we can have full reliability.

2. Jolyon Ralph
    Thumb Up

"Do no more than 0.1% evil"

must be the new slogan!

3. tempemeaty
    Big Brother

The hand off...

Yeah but not before Google hands the tech and the mean over to China through a "Chinese company" that will continue to do what Google had been doing after Google has left.

4. Aldous
    FAIL

wait....

the chinese have been abusing human rights? locking up dissidents? when did this happen? its not the whole world told us before we started doing business with them. oh well one day when we can pull out without destroying the stock price we might pull out of the chinese market. see we are real peace loving freedom loving hippie types honest!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

I'm so sad to hear that

Bye, Google

6. Doctor T
    Go

short GOOG?

time to buy BIDU!

7. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Down

"a person familiar with the company's thinking"

Wow, that's even more tenuous than "sources close to" or "an unnamed friend"!

I'm familiar with China's thinking and predict that if this happens, they will stick two fingers up at Google and promote the state-sponsored Baidu search engine instead. They've really got nothing to lose by kicking Google out. Google have everything to lose. Google are probably squirming in embarrassment trying to think of ANY possible way they can gloss over this and continue in the profitable Chinese market.

1. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!
      Go

i wonder...

If the person was named Steve (B or J, take your pick). They'd both have something to gain from any speculation about Google pulling out if it impacted on share prices.

Cynical? Moi?

8. Jim_aka_Jim
    Stop

so Google will push things through courts in the rest of the world...

except for China. This does not bode well for the future.

9. wgae
    Stop

99.9% certain...

...or maybe just "maybe"? Didn't the folks in MV announce back in January that they are likely to pull the plug? And what happened? Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Zip. Nichts.

The Chinese government does not care one yota about Google. Some Chinese may care abotu Google, but not enough to put pressure on the government. So, what's exactly the point of threatening again and again and again?

Please do pull out of China now, and stop the meaningless PR about this.

10. TeeCee Gold badge

Let me rephrase that.

"Google 99.9% certain to keep hyping the Chinese issue as long as it generates headlines".

There. That's better.

11. stupiddairyfarmer
    Boffin

Google bashers, note this

They are taking a stand. Ballmer, OTOH, has simply puckered up and kissed Chinese arse at twice the already heady speed.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Google bashers

I'm 99.9% certain I agree with you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or

Or they're just a tool in US economic conflict.

12. ElFatbob
    Stop

Re: Google Bashers

'They are taking a stand'...

No they're not. 'Taking a stand' implies some kind of moral principle behind the action. They are hypocrites - they talked about 'doing no evil' and being against censorship, but when it came down to it, they cosied up to the Chinese government for the sake of the dollar.

Any they are not alone. Every other company that takes the dollar over it's stated principles is exactly the same.

Google are by no means the only hypocrites, but lets not kid ourselves with the 'taking a stand' bullshit.

13. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

closing everything isn't pulling out?

They are going to shutter google.cn, and close the China offices, but that is not pulling out of China? How does that work?

"They are hypocrites - they talked about 'doing no evil' and being against censorship, but when it came down to it, they cosied up to the Chinese government for the sake of the dollar."

Google is a collective entity -- they DID cosy up (with a perhaps weak argument that they were censoring LESS than the other search engines...), but were (from what I've heard) arguing about it within the company the whole time; and you have to admit, it sounds like they are in fact going to leave despite the dollars they were making (they didn't have a majority of the search engine business there by any means, but still had a decent percentage.)

14. Andy Livingstone

Who cares?

Well?

15. ian 22
    Coat

o noz!

Will this hinder my access to cheap Chinese-made tat?

No? Then here's yer coat, Google.

16. Mike VandeVelde

LOL!

"fearing government reprisals for the closure of Google.cn"

As if they give a flying fornication.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like