back to article Nominet to release super-short domain names

A host of new, short domain names will be made available under the body responsible for domain names ending in .uk, Nominet. It plans to allow the registration of previously-banned domain names consisting of one or two characters. The non-profit body also plans to allow people to register names consisting of terms that make up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Harry the snot gobbler
    WTF?

What's the point?

Geez, I'm so glad there will be .uk addresses. It takes so much unnecessary effort to type in the .co before it

2. h 2

www.bt.co.uk

It always puzzeled me how BT managed to get www.bt.co.uk through the system. I guess there's rules for us and ther's rules for them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@h 2 - re BT

It was registered before the rule was introduced in '96

3. mccp

hp.co.uk?

"The rules also forbid the registration of two-letter domain names in many of the domains that Nominet manages, though a letter and a number combined is allowed."

Or the letters h and p.

4. Elmer Phud

short names?

Ah, F.UK.IT

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strikes me as pointless

With two character domain names threre will be a VERY limited number of possible domains, they will all be snapped up almost instantly during this "sunrise" period, and most will probably never be used.

People don't have any problem remembering domain names. If they do, they just type what they want onto google.

Hello Solution, are you looking for Problem? I havn't seen him.

No icon because .... meh.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cheesy nips

Anyone think the AA have been lobying Nominet?

1. Kev Jones
      FAIL

Yah but who gets this one eh?...

Automobile Association or Alcoholics Anonomous?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

..and what about JUST .uk ?

..and what about having things ending in JUST .uk like the rest of europe ?

bbc.co.uk -> bbc.uk

?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Any names left after that process"

haha they should be so lucky.

You'll get about 10 thousand smart ass SEO types rushing to register all 52 of the 1 letter domains as their trademark.

You'll get people beating each other to death in the queue outside the IPO.

And with all the effort people are going to devote to getting these domains, I'll bet you a years wages not one of them ends up pointing to a website actually worth visiting.

9. nowster
    Boffin

Last memorial of the JANet coloured books

NRS be gone! Some of us will remember the back-to-front email addresses used in UK academia.

There is a tale of someone sending an email to a computer lab address of dressedinblack@uk.ac.oxbridge.cl, and finding it routed via Chile (manually forwarded by a mail system admin).

1. A J Stiles
      Coat

Made more sense

Actually, addresses like "cbs%uk.ac.aston.kirk::stilesaj" made more sense to me. Start with the country code, then narrow it progressively down as you add more parts.

After all, with phone numbers, you dial the STD code first; and even the first few digits of the number proper usually identify a particular village or a region of a town.

10. Fuzz

bt.co.uk

Seems to work fine.

11. Number6

Reselling

There ought to be a clause added to the sale conditions of these domains that requires onward sale to be at a price no greater than that paid by the purchaser, with automatic reversion back to Nominet if they try. That would stop the inevitable speculators who will be bidding to acquire as many as they can and then offer them on at inflated prices.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More fodder for the godaddy parking lot

Another few hundred domains parked on godaddy.

The rules about ownership of domains need to be looked at again, but it's not going to happen because the leaches that keep profiteering from the existing system are the same bastards that get to make the rules.

13. Jacqui

rules

long time ago we got a two letter .co.uk - and perl.co.uk but some scumbag squatted it when it lapsed (our own fault as we no longer ran perl support and should have transferred it to london-pm or similar.

Jacqui

14. Vince

Straightening out the facts...

@Harry the Snot

No, you're not reading correctly, we're on about the third level. It isn't <something>.uk that is going open, it is <something>.co.uk or <something>.org.uk etc.

@Fuzz

Some 2 letter and even 1 letter registrationed existed BEFORE these rules - they have been allowed to continue. Nominet have detailed this on the web site.

15. url
    FAIL

.gb vs .uk

i'd prefer to have .uk

i'm not sure if I've ever seen a decent/respectable .gb domain.

.co.tld domains are daft

16. Rob 34
    Joke

if only...

... South Korea could do this then you would have billions of script kiddies crawling over each other to register h.ac.kr :|

17. Harry
    Thumb Up

"ought to be a clause added to the sale conditions"

That rule OUGHT to be applied to ALL domains.

Domains ought to be registerable only on a plausible "need to have" basis, and once that need ends the domain should revert to nominet for sale, not held as ransomware to make bogus profit for somebody who probably should never have been allowed to register the domain in the first place.

18. neverSteady

Oh Nominet

"The non-profit body"

Really? So why do they suspend domain names and charge £80 to unsuspend each one, and you still have to pay for renewal on top?

They must have champagne and oysters for lunch every day.

I try to avoid .uk domains, .com's are best always will be, no stupid Paper Certificate sent out for every registered domain. They really must be milking it if they can afford to send out these fancy, but ultimately worthless certs.

This topic is closed for new posts.