back to article Super Micro to launch AMD render cloud

The conceptual render cloud that Advanced Micro Devices was showing off a little more than a year ago at the 2009 Consumer Electronics Show is going commercial this year. Back in January 2009 AMD was still a maker of CPU and GPU chips and had teamed up with Otoy, a Sherman Oaks, California developer of 3D rendering software …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. b166er

Title

Nice!

Can we have a Win icon? (I know you're determined to keep the 3x12 grid)

Oh and by-the-way, the tab order is wrong on this comment form; going as it does, from 'Email' to 'Want a password reminder?' to 'Password'.

2. Paul Anderson

What About Lag ?

I've heard of this before and it's interesting, but one big question remains - how on earth will it cope with lag ? Won't gamers' control input suffer enough of a delay between their, say, pressing the fire button and the shot going out, to actually render such a platform unsuitable for gaming ? It's bad enough having 100ms lag in a multiplayer game between my own console and the game host. What would it be like if it's between me and the hardware I'm using ?

3. Eugene Goodrich
    Paris Hilton

Skin-diseased animal CPU?

[[AMD's imminent "Mangy-Cours" Opteron]]

Surely this should be "Magny-Cours"? Thank goodness that "a" didn't get altered into the bargain...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Obligatory comment...

But it still won't have enough power to run Crysis...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

This has got to be a joke

Of course it runs Crysis, they demo'd it on that iPhone.

So now we are going to have to pay for higher speed internet AND recurring costs for a game you used to have to pay for once. I'll believe it when I see it, and even then I won't pay for it.

2. b166er
      FAIL

Fail

RTFA, it did, to the Jesus Phne

5. Reg Sim
    Thumb Up

I suppose it depends...

To convert a game like Crysis I suspect would cause a few issues, and to be fair games that are already out more or less do not need this tech atm, as they have steam for the most part to advertise and control content provision.

However, consider games like Eve-Online, where there is one big sand pit, or even WOW with its dungens. Games that use this tech and are subscription based may well have an intresting future.

Consider being able to login and Play Wow when your on holiday using your netbook? or the local internet cafe. Or in Eve's case fly your ships and trade whilst on the bus to school or work.

(notice I have not mentioned any PvP as I still think atm connection reliability would be an issue).

For MMO's I think this tech has a very bright future, and I would not be supprised of you ended up with a hybrid, where if your on a fast PC you can DL the WOW or EVE client, where as people on crap hardware or mobile devices like the.... ipad, can use a cloud subscription or a 'delux' package to gain access to the game on these devices.

Remember most of these games have to be carful when they upgrade there graphics engines and up hardware specs, as some users old hardware will not support it, not only that, but if you say do a PC client you can do a 'web' client for all other device users (such as Mac's and Linux boxes).

These games will I suspect not suffer lag issues like a pure FPS would, however a FPS designed to work with cloud or cloud and clients need not be more laggy than you pressing fire and you game sending a packet that needs to be sent to 64 other clients all managed by a game server, rather than 64 virtual clients all on the same local hardware(ie in the cloud). In this case your down load data would not increase no matter how many ppl were shooting rockets at you and strafing you with air craft, and only your actions would affect the upload (which should'nt be any higher).

I think this should be quite intresting. (and give the service providers a new tool to promote them selfs over there rivals).

6. Neal 5

@anon coward 00.44

Unfortunately, that is what it does take to run crysis, so now your options are, either park you car in the street so as to have enough storage in the garage to get your gaming rig in, or just don't buy crysis. Option is yours, but as you already mention, it is still a possibility it won't run Crysis.

I think I'll wait for a review from someone who'se tried the rig out, it might just work in single player mode.

7. Bill Neal
    Pint

AT LAST!

This is what so many have been waiting for. Even if it requires further development, this kind of technology being created by companies too large to comfortably consume (like AMD) creates a new battleground for those who love a more proprietary world. I for one welcome any challenge to the traditional gaming business. Keep 'em working hard to compete!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like