back to article Mozilla births first Thunderbird 3.1 beta

Mozilla has released the first Thunderbird 3.1 beta for Windows, Mac and Linux. Codenamed Lanikai, version 3.1 of Mozilla's open source email and news client is built atop Gecko 1.9.2, the same rendering engine at the heart of the new Firefox 3.6. According to a Mozilla blog post, the first "stable" Lanikai release includes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SimonF
    FAIL

Shared Contacts

Why,in the name of all that's Holy, can't Thunderbird do shared contacts?

All the effort that's wasted making it do things that other software does better could easily give small businesses a real exchange killer.

Sad.

1. Tom Samplonius
      Stop

Re: Shared Contacts

The hard part with shared contacts, is where to put them. There are a number of Calandar protocols now (CalDAV, iCal, etc.), but nothing popular for address books. Funambol and SyncML are options, but you are unlikely to have a server that supports either. So how can Thunderbird implement shared contacts without this?

There are a number of Thunderbird plugins, which sync your Thunderbird to a proprietary mail systems. Zindus supports syncing your address book with Gmail, for instance.

2. frank ly

Exchange Killer ?

Thunderbird will access LDAP servers (according to the appropriate page in its Options), but I've never tried that so can't comment on it.

Thunderbird is an e-mail client, not an e-mail server, hence it could not be an 'Exchange Killer' but may be an 'Outlook Killer' in the right circumstances.

I've used Thunderbird/Lightning (2.0.23) on all my PCs to replace Outlook and am quite happy with it so far, but it does seem slow to draw pages (when switching from Mail view to Calendar view for example). However, this may be because I store the mail and calendars on my home network NAS box, which is not the fastest NAS box around.

3. Ian Yates

Title

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2533 ?

Okay, it's not built-in, but it works (for me, at least).

2. Miek
    Linux

It does, with extensions

I have been using AddressBooks Synchroniser, but there are a few others

http://tinyurl.com/yjynk4f

3. Tom Chiverton 1

Thunderbird do shared contacts

I've no idea what you really mean, but it supports LDAP lookup fine.

4. Sam Liddicott

I'm being forced to evolutio

Thunderbird 3 spends so long working out what to index, indexing and having a grey-screen while it does so that it's useless for me!

I'm being forced to use evolution (which can at least sync with my phone) but ubuntu doesn't yet have the patches for alternate IMAP namespaces (grrr).

Thunderbird is the "almost there" that we all love.

Evolution is the "almost there" that we don't all love - it may be sluggish but at least it responds.

5. Natalie Gritpants
    Dead Vulture

Stop verbing nouns or I will death you

It's not births, it's delivers. Consider that a lesson I have gifted you.

1. Laie Techie

Birth is a verb and a noun

The dictionary says birth can be used as a noun.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/birth

1. Kamal Hashmi

verbification

Yes, it is a noun.....

However, I believe the poster objected to it being verbed.

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Gecko engine?

Forgive my ignorance, but why is an email client build on an html rendering engine?

I thought email was a text medium :)

1. Bilgepipe

HTML

In the late 20th/early 21st century, HTML will be (optionally) used for email. Even Outlook will be able to do it.

1. Keith Oldham

Re :HTML

Do you mean "Unfortunately Outlook will do this"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like