back to article PS3 will outsell Wii by 2013

Sony's PlayStation 3 will become the world's most popular gaming platform - but it'll take three more years to get there. So says Strategy Analytics analyst David Mercer, who recently blogged that, by 2013, consumers will by buying more PS3s than Xbox 360s and Wiis. By the end of 2010, Mercer forecasts, Nintendo will have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 15

Yes, but...

Yeah the PS3 will outsell the Wii and 360 by 2013 but by then the Wii HD will be way ahead of any of them and the 720 will be on the horizon if not out!

1. Calaerial1
      Jobs Horns

O RLY?

I'd be very suprised if new hardware was being touted in 2013.

All 3 major manufacturers seem to be suggesting that the current crop will be with us for quite a few years yet, even though some of them (Wii and 360) are beginning to look a little long in the tooth.

Personally, i have all 3 systems and i have to agree wholeheartedly that the novelty is worn off the Wii, for me it went a long time ago.

The 360 to be honest gets the most play, but going forward im getting more and more irritated by it. It feels like every single feature on the 360 is an advert for them to peddle tat like avatar baseball caps or overpriced DLC crap.

1. Neil 6

all your base

of course they are suggesting they will be around for a long time....they still want people to buy them.

Successors will be well in development by now, I wouldn't be surprised if the 360 successor is announced in early 2011 once christmas is out of the way.

2. YARR
        Thumb Down

Xmas 2012 watch this space

I'd be very surprised if there *wasn't* new hardware out from at least one of the big three by 2013.

They may be predicting 10-year life cycles for the current generation, but that doesn't mean the next generation wont overlap by 2-3 years like with PS/PS2 and PS2/PS3. The 360 has nearly been out longer than the original XBox now and is showing it's age compared with low-end PC gaming tech. Also there's only so many potential price cuts left.

I think we might see a smaller, cost reduced 360 released with Natal, to coincide with the mid-point of it's predicted 10-year lifespan. We're also approaching the time where flash will make hard discs redundant for games consoles.

It will be interesting to see how many full (non-stream) CPU cores they have in the next generation as the 360 was pushing it at 3 cores in 2005.

2. Marco Alfarrobinha
    WTF?

Three letters:

lol

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

haha

Wii HD... same system, upscaled crap

4. Vitani

Reminds me of this

http://www.paulkramm.com/junkdrawer/duhlines.gif

It's based on a Sony announcement in 2008 I believe.

See also: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/Slavik81/May_Since_Nov062.jpg

Real Sony graph: http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20080520/ProjectedConsoleChart_v1_460x323.gif

1. Gareth.
      Thumb Up

Interesting...

The 3d link is an interesting one - does anyone know if the sales figures they predicted for 2008 / 09 close to the actual sales?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like