back to article Google's AdWords set to face jury for the first time

Google will face another trade mark law suit over its AdWords system after a judge refused Google's request that the case be thrown out of court. The issue will be tried before a jury for the first time. Google has already won suits over its ad system, which allows companies to buy the right to display their advert when a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. tom hall

Google and Apple

They stopped me saying something along the lines of

"compatible with Windows/Apple/Linux"

because of the word Apple.

Why only protect apple?

2. Tom

Not different than other media

If they make advertising on competitors words "bad", they will need to stop those "made on the spot" coupons that are produced at the checkout counter. It has LONG been known that they are mostly for a competing product.

Oh, well. If Google were smart, it should say to the trademark owner, come up with more money, and the words are yours. Until then, be quiet!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Throwing out the bad apples

Apple is a manufacturer, not a product. Therefore "compatible with apple" makes no sense anyway. You should be claiming compatibility with a *specific* apple product or range of products.

4. Ian Damage

Whats the difference

between google and the yellow pages?

If someone opens the Yellow Pages to get the phone number for the American Blind & Wallpaper Factory, they are faced with a couple of pages of ABWF's competitors.

If they want to avoid that, they have to pay to take out a full page ad. Same deal here. If they want the search result to be exclusive, cough up the dosh.

5. Philip Webb

Quoted Searching?

I think the biggest hole in this case will be the difference between searching for

American Blind & Wallpaper Factory

and

"American Blind & Wallpaper Factory"

as an example. Since the intention of Google AdWords is to provide relevant adverts, only for the second search would AWDF's advert be the only one that I would expect to see as the search, in quotes, is for the exact name of the company where as the first one implies that I am searching for factories in America that make blinds and wallpaper. There is a significant difference between the two which I suspect will make up a fair component of the defence put up by Google's lawyers.

6. Tim Bates

What a load of horse turd!

I agree with Ian... It's no different to any other media where an ad appears on the page alongside other things.

The Google ads are a separate part of the page, labeled as an ad, and pretty obviously not related to the actual search results.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like