back to article Dell intros restyled biz laptops

Dell has introduced a set of new Vostro notebooks, pitching the products as "a range of new thin, lightweight and durable laptop computers". The line-up comprises the 3300, 3400, 3500 and 3700, each with a 13.3in, 14in, 15.6in and 17.3in - as you might guess from the second digit in each model number - screen. Dell Vostro …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave 64 Silver badge
    FAIL

"Aberdeen Silver"

Nobody from the Dell marketing department has ever been to Aberdeen methinks

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

lmao

Thats true - although

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8557971.stm

2. Mark Lockwood
    FAIL

Biz?

Anyone who orders a business laptop in beige needs a good talking to with a cattle prod

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

Awesome

Diet soda through BOTH nostrils at near supersonic speeds all over my keyboard... Cattle prod... hahahahahahaha

3. Anonymous Hero
    Happy

Linux too but no Windows 7 Ultimate

Looking at the 3700 tech specs show Ubuntu Linux available as an OS option in April which should please some folks.

The OS options on this model are a bit wierd compared to the old 1720 which had the option of Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate. It's a bit of a retrograde step I think.

Some folks give the Vostro's a bit of a slagging but I've had a 1700 for nearly a couple of years and it's been a sterling workhorse for VS 2008 development when on the road.

I also have a couple of 1720's (one running Citrix XenServer 5.5) and the other Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and again great workhorses and quite nippy.

The 1920x1200 displays are also nice as well.

It's just a shame they won't put a DVI connector on them, but then I guess no-one would spend money on the more expensive models which do have them.

All in all I think these machines are pretty good value for money, and if you can pick them up from EuroPC.co.uk you can often get a decent length on-site warranty as well.

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

A little lacking

The dell UK lists Ubuntu as being abailable in April for at least the 17in Model.

Why was this not mentioned in the article?

Fail for obvious reasons (the reporting that is)

5. dogged

Hot.

Got a link?

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Did anyone else read this as "recycled"?

I did not even notice whether there are tablet PCs here, better go back and look again.

Why do business computers need to be "styled"?

7. David Austin

Vostro 3400

Just Spoke to my account manager at Dell:

For the moment, the Vostro 3400 is a US-only Model, and isn't currently available to the UK.

Shame, as 14" widescreen seems about the sweet spot between cost, function, and price.

8. Hywel Thomas
    Jobs Halo

Thinnest ?

Thin, though it looks quite chunky (way to go Dell designers). Not quite as thin as a MacBook. Thicker again than a MacBook Pro. Both 13", both with optical drives.

Do they just mean the thinnest Dell ?

9. Craig Foster

Business *NEEDS* Windows Home

Microsoft Volume Licensing and Schools Agreements are an UPGRADE. Every machine we load a VLK/MAK on requires a copy of Windows be purchased for the machine beforehand, then we can load whatever takes our fancy - including when we have a Office site VLK.

Win Home is the cheapest copy of Windows required to fulfil our contract obligations.

We're also required to purchase Win 7 home for our bootcamp Macs to be covered :S

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like