back to article Aussie hoaxer strikes again

Update: This story has been rewritten to indicate that the blogger-cop exchange is likely a hoax. Our original story assumed it was genuine. An amusing exchange between an irreverent blogger and a humourless cop looks like the latest in a long line in ingenious hoaxes to set the blogosphere buzzing, courtesy of australian …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Hatfield

That is lulzy

That is very funny. I love the other articles too. Conding the use of drugs - what an absurd law! What is going on in Australia? Have their politicians been smoking crack?

2. LinkOfHyrule
    Thumb Up

Ha ha, he he, ho ho, snort snort!

That's all I have to say, nice one!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

David Thorne...

...is fast becoming my idol. Australian authorities really are the most uptight anal people on the planet next to US immigration officers and H&S types.

4. Stone Fox
    Pint

absolutely brilliant!

Can anyone think of a way I can post this man a pint?

1. Jerome 0
      Pint

Pint?

Have a cat drink the aforementioned pint, place the cat securely in a metal briefcase, and mail the briefcase to Mr. Thorne. Job done.

5. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge
    Happy

The real spider-man!

He is my hero. Even though he can't count the legs on a spider...

The copper in question should be at the very least demoted for wasting time.

6. Paul Gomme

Just wondering...

How long before this sort of thing starts happening regularly here in the UK?

7. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

May I recommnend

people read the whole thread ... it's priceless

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correct me if I'm wrong

But am I right in thinking that Australia doesn't have any entrenched human rights laws like the ECHR here or the Bill of Rights in the US.. Not that it doesn't stop cis- and trans- pondian politicos from driving coaches and horses through our rights, but at least we have something to use in defence of our rights in court. I don't think the Aussies have that at all.

9. seanj
    Grenade

Michael Harding

What a humourless, jobsworth waste of carbon. I pity his family for having suffered this moron for whatever his current lifespan is, and I pray to any magical beings that he doesn't have children, with which to pass on his genetic failure.

Seriously, take a length of rope and go out for a one-way trip to the barn, you fucking twat - you are the living embodiment of all that is wrong with power-tripping police officials in this world, so go set an example for the rest.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Uhh...

...you might want to think about rolling up a nice, long, satisfying cat, and relaxing for a while.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

warning

this post condones drugs.

take that, Australia.

11. OzBob
    Coffee/keyboard

U owe me a new keyboard

I had to leave work early today as I was laughing so much.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like Plods everywhere...

... undoubtedly a vital gene missing ...

When you're being deliberately wound up, the only adult thing to do is walk away, preferably having appreciated the joke. This self-important clone couldn't even do that. He probably doesn't get it, even now...

13. weez

have a laugh- but don't take it seriously

I run machinegunkeyboard.com and I'm the one who called bullshit on 27b/6 being suspended. When the site appeared to be suspended, http://www.27bslash6.com/images/briefcase.jpg was still available, putting the lie to anyone's claim that the site was suspended. If the host had suspended the site, nothing would have been available.

I don't mind a good story, nor even a good prank. I found Thorne's bits really quite funny, and rather successful as humour. Where I object is when Thorne tried to convey that an actual threat existed from police to shut down his website over a his pisstake 'Investment Opportunity' where Thorne claimed to want to buy unspecified "drugs" for resale. The threat from SA Police simply didn't happen. There's no "e-crime act 2006" in SA as Thorne claimed he was threatened with, nor any officer in the South Australia Police named "Michael Harding."

As with any good hoax, there's got to be some plausibility. The Australian Federal government and the South Australia state government both have given good cause to have the piss taken out of them of late, with the Feds planning mandatory ISP level censorship of all Australian internet feeds and an ill-conceived SA law which, had it not been VERY hurriedly repealed after a massive public backlash, would have criminalised anonymous political commentary in assorted online fora. Governments in Aus have absolutely invited hoaxes like Thorne's with such absurd, unenforcible and reprehensible actions against online content.

With that said, by all means, read 27b/6 and laugh- Thorne writes some uproarious satire- but don't ever make the mistake that there's anything factual on his site.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like