back to article Street View spymobiles invade CeBIT

As part of Google's hearts-and-minds campaign to allay German fears that it is intent on adding their country to Mountain View's lebensraum, the company has decided to entertain CeBIT visitors with some touchy-feely Street View spymobiles: Google's Street View spymobiles at CeBIT You'll note the Opels are somewhat less …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LuMan
    Headmaster

<pedant>

'Lebensraum'? As in 'Living Room??

Perhaps you meant 'Wohnzimmer'

</pedant>

- Sorry, just got back from my German lesson!

1. JohnG

Lebensraum

No, I don't think he meant "Wohnzimmer" - "Lebensraum" has a different meaning (and history). Google it.

2. Peter Hawkins
      Thumb Down

Not that liiving room...

... as in comfy couch and big screen TV. More like the the sweeping steps of the motherland. Lebensraum was used by the nazis to refer to extra "living space" for Germany offered by those countries conquered by them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebensraum

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah.....

... those who forget history ....

Or even those who have never read it...

1. LuMan
        FAIL

<sheepish>

Crikey! That's me told, innit!

</sheepish>

2. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

One step closer to...

Google uber alles?

3. JasonW
    Boffin

@LuMan

Lebensraum is Environment or Habitat...

4. Charlie Oscar
    Thumb Down

Err

I know Pro Graffiti artists, and they avoid drips like the plauge, on one or two the big blobs maybe, but on everything? No

5. Steve Evans

Are you sure?

Are you sure this was deliberate, they look like they've just been driven out of another unpopular survey by a mob with shares in Dulux! Last time I saw runs that bad was during a bout of the norovirus.

6. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Probably just a co-incidence...

... but the registration starts H2G2...

(Mine's the one with the towel in the pocket)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Looks like

The sort of artwork you get from Clarkson & co on their cars. Now can we see a piano being dropped on them (and Google too for that matter - what a bunch of suck ups)

8. Andrew Moore

The Onion are in fine form again:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/google_responds_to_privacy

9. James 12
    FAIL

Error

If they wanted to woo the Germans they should be in German cars for a start off not opals...

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Err...

Why do you think that the opel tag line is Wir Leben Autos? Also, why do you think Adam Opel (the companies founder) had a father called Wilhelm? Oh yes, because he was scottish.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

Yeah, but...

It's been under GM ownership for 80 odd years... it's not German in the same way as VW. It's about as German and new Minis are British.

2. CD001

ye-es

... except Opel is owned by General Motors at the moment. Maybe they're trying to show some kind of German/American love child can succeed - well, I say succeed - barely avoid going into administration whilst totally fskin the European component of the company up the arse while they're at it?

Actually - maybe it's the ideal choice of motor?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Lebensraum in your Wohnzimmer

You'd think that for their spycars in Germany, Google would be using the Triumph Acclaim. (It translates particularly well into German.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like