back to article Intel shows off 48 cores

Intel demoed its experimental 48 core chip at Cebit this morning as it (almost) nailed down the dates for its latest real world server chips. The vendor has been touting the 48 core part around as part of its vision of massively parallel systems. It describes it as a single chip cloud. An Intel researcher said the part used a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

zzzzzz

How many pins do you need to get reasonable memory bandwidth off this beast, or are most of the cores waiting for memory most of the time? What size heatsink does it need, or is it water cooled? And other little real-world trivia.

You can already get 48 cores in a Proliant of the right flavour, but there aren't that many people interested, because there aren't that many applications that suit the massive-SMP model.

The idea that this is "a cloud on a chip" is laughable - with all those resources in one chip (and presumably one single OS image?) where's the scalability and diversity and resilience which a properly-implemented disaster-tolerant multi-site cluster (that's what they used to be called but most MBAs and Microsoft-certified folk can't string that many words together so "cloud" came in) can provide?

Beer. Liquid cooling. It's the way of the future.

1. Ammaross Danan
      Boffin

heatsink

To answer the question of water-cooled or no, as well as the size of the heatsink, the author did mention that "We'd have shown you a picture of the part, but really, all you'd have seen was a lot of fan"

The keyword is "fan" in case you didn't see.

2. SynnerCal
    Terminator

Oh my god

"The vendor also showcased its latest real world server platform, the 8 core, 16 thread Nehalem EX, with a system supporting a 32GB slice and dice scan through a human corpse."

Don't tell me that Chipzilla's built the first Terminator! Eek!

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

I do hope so.

I quite fancy a future in which disposing of a Terminator is merely a matter of stuffing some handy object into its cooling fan and waiting for the inevitable meltdown.

3. Steve Brooks

Like a One Man Band, only worse!

"Single Chip Cloud" isn't that like a "one man band?" Plays lots of instruments, none of them for very long, none of them particularly well, and people rarely go for second hearing.

Sort of pointless really.

4. David Halko
    FAIL

Intel has been showing it's vaporware off for years

Intel has been showing off it's 48 core designs since Sun had released 32 threaded and 64 threaded chips.

How about something real?

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Intel has been showing it's vaporware off for years

Intel has been showing off it's 48 core designs since Sun had released 32 threaded and 64 threaded chips.

How about something real?

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      FAIL

I believe the fail is yours . . .

. . . David Halko.

2. Idiots _Quotient
      Flame

More Micro$hit & Integer Fails

Gogol Monkeys can t do a Human s Job !

6. cmaurand

16 thread is a fantasy

I haven't seen any performance gains in any "hyperthreading" machine, yet. Give me an 8 core opteron.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like