back to article Micron to make even teenier NAND dies

Not content with shrinking its NAND flash process to 25nm, Micron is heading below that level next year. We don't know exactly how small the NAND dies are going to get but DigiTimes reports Micron will get there next year. The company hasn't even started mass-producing its 25nm product yet and it's pretty advanced. As Micron …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Ahhhhhh....

"It says its 25nm, 8GB flash product could store 2,000 songs or 7,000 photos."

Really? In theory it could store 10's of thousands of 6px X 4px "photos" or substaianly less if using Hasselblad's monster H4D-40 at full whack...

Bit like saying, the new hardback book can contain 10,000 words....

1. Piro Silver badge

I'm not fond of those "x number of x" marketing lines, either

Because they tell you nothing. Just give us the size, and be done with it. Especially on El Reg, I can't imagine there are many people who look at an 8GB drive, with a puzzled looked on their face, until someone says "it can hold TWO THOUSAND MP-THREES" and then suddenly, enlightened, they are satisfied that they understand

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      FAIL

Not just photos.

Those songs. Are we talking sub three minute pop muzak numbers stored in MP3 format at some shitty bitrate or something more like "Crossing the Line" performed live in Paris by the Go band, preserved for posterity in FLAC?

2. Robert Ramsay
    Joke

old joke

"Our new 8GB flash chip can hold up to TWENTY-FIVE progressive rock songs!"

3. James O'Brien
    Paris Hilton

I curious what will happen here

Last I recall wasnt there a debate over how small the dies could be made without comprimising the pathways? Isnt this starting to push that limit to the breaking point where the barriers between the electrical paths are going to start running the risk of jumping from one to the other? Just a thought.

4. dezz
    WTF?

nm is not referring to the die size!

"We don't know exactly how small the NAND dies are going to get"

The dies itself doesn't shrink too much... It's the stuctures (transistors, etc.) that shrink. More tiny the structures -> more of them can be fitted on the more-or-less the same sized die. It's the width of the most tiny parts of these structures made on die that the nm is referring to.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like