back to article New robot aircraft eliminates need for fleshy slaves

A robot-aeroplane inventor with successful designs behind him has come out with a radical new kind of skydroid which, he says, offers long range combined with vertical takeoff and landing - and automated ground support as well. Tad McGeer with his Flexrotor. Credit: Aerovel You can take the inventor out of the garage... …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Strange

Anyone else get the urge to yell "neeeeeerd" and steal someone's lunch money when they saw that picture?

2. Red Bren
    Terminator

VTOL copter-plane to reload itself at automated ammo box

Fixed that for you.

Right, I'm off to the bunker...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely the ideal landing pad is...

Surely the ideal landing pad is a bowl near the boat's midpoint, so that whatever the water's like, the point of landing is the same point (ignoring the z coordinate). You could even achieve this with a loose net, if you make sure the rotor has stopped moving before it falls over.

4. lglethal Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Im a little suprised...

that Boeing is allowing this, as this one looks pretty damn close to the one that Boeing bought the rights to and definteily looks like being a potential competitor to their bird.

Actually im probably more surprised that Boeing didnt offer this lad a job, if he's single handedly designed and built something that a behometh like Boeing thinks is good enough to buy then surely he's good enough to have working for you!

5. M Gale

Nice trick, however..

Extra cool points if they get it to shout "I see you" before firing.

6. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge

Talking Robots

[The turrets say this when they see you]

"Hi?"

"Target Acquired"

"Dispensing Product"

"Firing"

"Hello Friend"

"Gotcha"

"There you are"

"I see you"

Etc. etc.

http://www.thecakeisnotalie.com

7. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Heart

Hello, Google? (Breaking my 3 dots and you're in headline protocol.)

When I built the first wireless network in my neighborhood, how i wished for an aerostat of some sort to get line of sight in tree filled towns. As I have often ranted, geographically routed self forming mesh networks can deliver unlimited bandwidth to any node.

During the early formation of these networks, the community would benefit from a few overhead nodes. Once a tipping point is reached in deployment, the fleet could be moved to a new terretory.

Come on, Google, Mesh Networking is the future, buy a bunch of these planes and get a good start on our future.

1. Adam 10
      FAIL

Eh?

"geographically routed self-forming mesh networks can delivery unlimited bandwidth to any node."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Aldous
      FAIL

two stroke

because nimbys are going to love the sound of a two stroke engine at full pelt overhead + what if it crashes WONT YOU THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!

1. John Dougald McCallum
        Flame

AHHHHHHH the smell of a misspent youth

there should be very little sound coming from this engine if the exhaust exits from the tail as I suspect it does,if most of the exhaust is well baffled anyway there will be more noise from that massive prop/rotor.flames cos if it crashes it burns very well

2. I didn't do IT.
        Joke

...Think of the children

Darn right! Those little theiving buggers will swipe that prime piece of tech up before the branches have a chance to break and strip it for parts in seconds flat.

All you'll find is a couple leaves and a few droplets of silicon lubricant (for the plastic gears, you pervs).

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

NOT Google!!

I'm afraid they'd just use it for Street View 2.0. (Skyview?)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

What about love?

Will the next version of the drone place an order for additional fuel when the reserves begin to run low so it can stay up in the air until your bank account is empty?

Will it call me when I'm feeling lonely and ask me how my day was?

10. JWS
    Thumb Up

Ch-Ching

So he's about to make another fortune! Good effort.

11. Wile E. Veteran
    Thumb Up

Coast Guard SAR?

A small fleet o' these beasties flying a grid pattern would not only be good for geomagnetic scans but would be highly effective for Coast Guard Search And Rescue (SAR) missions as well, since it would put a lot more "eyes" (sensors) over the target search area than conventional helicopter and aircraft searches, increasing the chances of finding survivors alive.

1. Charles Manning

Search and Rescue should be obsolete

Personal EPIRB is so cheap and accurate these days that search and rescue should be obsolete. Anyone going to sea without EPIRB is too stupid to contribute to society and is not worth saving.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

yes

Because when I am going for a nice, secluded dip with my girlfriend I really want to have a radio transmitter strapped to my pale naked ass.

12. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

@Chales Manning

"Personal EPIRB is so cheap and accurate these days that search and rescue should be obsolete. Anyone going to sea without EPIRB is too stupid to contribute to society and is not worth saving."

Not quite. the modern versions of these are picked up by satellites and the system is known as satSAR. However it is carried as a payload of opportunity, so it's possible that you *might* get in trouble where no satellite is flying over for some hours, possibly a serious matter if anyone is in a critical condition.

13. David Sidebotham
    Jobs Horns

40 hours mission time?

If I can remember back to when I used to fly these things, a plane that size would use about 1kg of fuel an hour. So that would be 40 kg fuel per mission. Try making a vertical take-off now.

B*g*er cant even lift it never mind throw it!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like