back to article Freebie BlackBerry bonanza kicks off

BES Express launches today, offering free software for those who want to host their own BlackBerry servers but lack the budget to do so. RIM has started giving away copies of its BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express, which will integrate with Microsoft Exchange to sync up BlackBerry devices as well as offering the most …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing to see here, move along.

This isn't exactly new. I've been installing it regularly for the past 4 years since it was first announced here. Still got a dozen from 2006 running that version of it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/03/rim_sme_blackberry_giveaway/

Looks like a marketing release passing off as news.

1. Rasczak
      Boffin

Different version

The link you give refers to a single user 4.1 version where you have to pay for the extra users and have to have a BES tariff from your carrier, which is generally more expensive than the BIS tariff you get for personal users.

This new version is 5.0 with availability for up to 75 users included and can be accessed using a BIS or BES tariff.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Still nothing new here

Hence I said I've been installing it since 2006. Each year they increase the capacity and scope, and last year they renamed it. But it's not a new concept any more than Office 2010 is a newer concept than Office 2007. It still does what it did before, gets you on the ladder to hopefully uprade to full BES

2. Growler
      Stop

Something to see here

That Reg story states that the 2006 free version of BES Express only supports one user; you have to buy a license for 2-14 users then it's the full-fat BES or nothing.

This new version does not seem to have a limit on the number of devices, just the policies that can be applied.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

1. eugene
        Thumb Up

just register each device

It doesn't actually only support one user, rather, each BES download comes with one CAL, based on the BB's PIN.

So all you do is download BES once per phone - you'll be given a CAL for each phone. You can then put your multiple CALs into your original BES installation and it'll work happily. And just like Dibbley, I did this in 2006 and as recently as three months ago with BIS.

2. Select * From Handle
    FAIL

Meh.....

after you have finaly found the link to start inserting your details to get this software, you will get to the last page with a "submit" to process the order. only to be greeted with "We're sorry, we are not able to process your payment at this time. Please try again later or contact the store administrator."

Blackberry Fail Again!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Camera?

"control of third-party applications and even the device camera."

whut???

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And why

does one still need /the worst excuse for an email server on the planet/ to run this stuff?

1. Al Jones

Living in the real world

Because RIMs paying customers have apparently decided that MS Exchange is far more productive for them than the alternatives.

The full-fat paid for version supports Lotus Notes or Novell GroupWise as well as Exchange.

2. J. Cook Silver badge
      Boffin

I know why...

Because the worst excuse for a mail server still has probably one of the better calendar/resource sharing setups out there, and people have been using it for years.

Personally, I've *love* to see an Free/Open Source product that handles calendaring, shared resource management (i.e. conference room booking), corporate address books, as well as Exchange/Outlook.

Besides, any sane corporate administrator has a separate mail gateway to filter out the spam/malware/phishing crap and provide a firewall to exchange.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like