back to article Freecom Network Media Centre

Sleek aluminium housings are all the rage with hard disk manufacturers, and Freecom’s Network Media Centre is no exception. Available in capacities from 1TB to 2TB, this single-disk Nas box promises to be your ultimate home media server thanks to the inclusion of UPNP/DLNA streaming support, an FTP server, a BitTorrent client …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bassey

Sounds okay actually

Your initial description got me hooked. Whilst I know what bit torrent is, I couldn't give a crap about it. iTunes is the spawn of the Devil so that's another plus. And given that, as you pointed out, the Media Centre version is aimed at the home market - how many homes do you know have gigabit ethernet networks? I certainly don't. Most are going to be plugging this into a 10/100 port on their ADSL router and sending it out over homeplug or wifi. From your figures, it looks like the device can make pretty good use of an 11n connection and can certainly saturate a homeplug network.

So, actually, it starts to look quite decent and the price seems pretty reasonable too.

1. Neoc

Re: gigabit networks

<puts hand up> I have a home gigabit network. And that's a proper network with a 12-port switch, an ADSL router, a Wi-fi router, laptops, netbooks, Windows PC and Ubuntu mail and web servers. Why? Because I could and I had the option to go in and lay cables before they closed up the walls when the house was built. Allows me to stream large video files between the file server and the WDTV in the lounge.

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge

It's not that hard

Cabled gigabit network? That's me.

Ever since someone decided that ethernet could go over twisted pair instead of co-ax, you've been able to install the stuff and use for anything. I have TV aerial down one length, lots carrying ethernet and a few carrying phone or audio.

Upgrade from 10-baseT to 100-baseT to 1000-baseT just ment buying a new switch. Been able to watch streaming video since long before WiFi n, and still do. No glitches, even though the neighbours can barely download a webpage from the saturated airwaves around here!

2. Timjl

Re: gigabit network

<puts hand up> - I've got one too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Performance

I got a 10 meg hub, will this affect the performance?

I guess if it transfers at 14 megs a second I'll only lose a little performance.

Arp Arp Arp

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Performance!

I got a 10 meg hub, will this affect the performance?

I guess if it transfers at 14 megs a second I'll only lose a little performance.

Arp Arp Arp

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bassey , You dont have 1gig, crazy boy. :)

are you crazy bassey "how many homes do you know have gigabit ethernet " EVERY SINGLE ONE of the many people any respecting tech users build PC for people, thast who, you mean YOU dont, thats just silly when you can get a single 1gig PCi ethernet card for £4 and a 5 port 1 gig hub for £25, and 30 foot/10 meter generic old cat5a cableable of 1gig for many years for a few quid.

id like to see the HD blue ray file details you played on the xbox360, i dont beleave it or it a non standard H.264 encode as the xbox 360 cant play even an mp4 container with avc encoded cotent about 10Mbit/s bitrate....

provide the Full mediainfo data for this 8 gig HD file you claim plays over this devices ethernet without transcoding to a far lower spec AND actually plays smoothly on the xbox360.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like