back to article Mozilla warns of 'Microsoft monoculture' in South Korea

The lemur-obsessed Mozilla crew have this week mostly been pushing their hippy ideals in the hope of reminding people that there's more to life than Microsoft's Internet Explorer. Early this morning the open source outfit and Firefox maker took a second stab at the hearts and minds of conscientious web surfers in a post about …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Florence
    Linux

Spot the contradiction

in the following extract from the article: "ActiveX, which happens to be the security"...

Tux, because these South Koreans clearly need to save penguins too.

1. Big-nosed Pengie

WTF?

There are people who still use that shite? Yep - we definitely need an OMG icon.

2. iamapizza
    WTF?

Back to the 1990s

"Sadly, for those vendors at least, their devices do not play nice with ActiveX"

OMG! Where's the OMG icon? OMG!! Dude, OMG!!

3. Bilgepipe
    Gates Horns

CraptiveX

They REQUIRE ActiveX for banking and commerce? Wow, I'm amazed there's any money left, anywhere in the country. They might as well just leave all the cash registers lying around in the street.

4. Jeremy 2
    Joke

<title/>

Did I just read the words 'ActiveX' and 'security' in the same sentence?! You do know there's supposed to be a minimum three-sentence buffer between those words?

5. Callum
    FAIL

asus eeepc

apparently, this is also the reason that asus dropped linux support for the asus eeepc - because the designers (in se asia) couldn't work with it. it isn't just S Korea, the ActiveX problem is across the whole SE Asia region.

1. Big-nosed Pengie

title

If that's true, then we can forget about those rumours of SE Asia becoming an economic powerhouse. Unless its in botnets.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

North Korea

Makes me wonder why North Korea even bother with nukes when one well placed virus will bring South Korea to its knees....

7. Chika
    Coffee/keyboard

Sorry...

The mention of ActiveX and security in the same line. Priceless!!!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

ActiveX is the issue, not MS IE

The reason that Korean online banking and e-commerce transactions are kind of locked into MS Internet Explorer browser is that most of those sites use ActiveX very heavily, and they don't have alternate browsers in mind. I don't think Microsoft actively pushed this; it was the Korean banks and merchants that embraced ActiveX. Many users in Korea do not like to use ActiveX plugins but so far they have no choice.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Firefox needs to

get Active X power and onto the Internet! My bank website recently decided it's required so I pressed the "Internet" button and then when I logged in I got a message telling me to look at the Paris pics and I haven't got as far as checking my balance yet but banking has never been so much fun...

Sent from my iPhone

10. Daniel Garcia 2
    WTF?

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

"Happily, surfers can "make the web better, save a lemur" here. And before you ask, yes, we at Vulture Central were utterly perplexed by that mantra to."

there are a lot more serious things reported here to be "utterly perplexed" than by a little catchphrase.

those Korean are so lucky that their language is hard to learn,otherwise international internet fraud gangs will be sucking up all their Wons.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Firebadger deadheads

All you anoraks keep moaning like 'OMG, they use ActiveX - I'm surprised they have any money left and haven't been hacked by the North'.

Well here's news for you buddies: Yes they use ActiveX and you know what? They're doing just fine.

This is Mozilla's problem, not Korea's. Mozilla is a money grabbing corp who want more customers to make them more money. They're angry that they've knocked on the South Korean door, offered them three boxes of their old powder for one box of their new one and been politely told, "No thank you, not today".

Deal with it, it's a free market. Mozilla only like freedom when people are freely switching to their product. When people freely don't, they cry foul.

And yeah, Unix is dead. Some day soon only America, Europe and a few other outbacks will be left using it while all the major countries (those with billions of citizens on the other side of the planet) will stick to Windows.

Just learn from history. When did any product ever win just because it was technically superior? If 4 billion people want to tell a population of 300M that Windows is standard, then it's standard. End of.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

You sound

like my father. The techno-illiterate dude who thinks Windows is "teh standard". No it isn't, not by a long shot. Not even in banking; that's mainframe territory.

Smartphones aren't that keen on WinMo either; only a small fraction of those run WinMo. Most of 'em use Symbian; so it is stupid for any kind of market to stick to ActiveX, which is insecure anyway.

My bank used to stick to IE-only, they eventually gave in and opened up to Firefox. No one in their right mind would stick to Microsopht these days.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ouch...

-1 Troll for you, Sir!

3. umacf24

fabulous trolling

well done!

12. Bumpy Cat
    Unhappy

Speaking from personal experience

My partner is Korean, and after briefly persuading her to use Ubuntu and Firefox it all fell over the first time she tried to access her Naver.com email address. Also, my brother-in-law's PC is riddled with spyware and viruses. :(

13. Anonymous Cowherder
    Linux

Unix is dead?

With a picture of Jobs on your post? Where is the genesis of OSX, I forget?

Chose to have a choice, save a penguin.

14. Rex Alfie Lee
    Thumb Up

Might sound good but...

...it also means that anyone who doesn't use Internet Explorer (IE) & there are many who don't & would never consider using IE, ever, will not be buying anything from Korea, FULLSTOP. That's the Korean Government & the Korean Banks' choice but no sales will ever happen for me & many others who don't use IE. There are also many non-techs who have been set up with Firefox or something else rather than IE & they would never even contemplate needing to switch to IE to buy something. No tech understanding & if it doesn't work, they're gone.

Goodbye....

15. Dazed and Confused

Re: the AC troll

Well having just come back from another trip to South Korea to work with a major Korean company and their many many large Unix machines.

I also found that many of the techies out there were running Firefox on there desktops.

Maybe the have to use IE to access the bank but there are people using FF.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

@Anonymous Cowherder && Rex Alfie Lee

"With a picture of Jobs on your post?"

You mean the "iHate" image, with Jobs as the devil? Oh, right.

"will not be buying anything from Korea... Goodbye"

I think you'll find that people in those far-eastern countries will soon be happy to "go it alone". All 4 billion of them. As I said, populations of 300M are a drop in the ocean to them. It's like a tiny little island in the south Pacific barking at Microsoft like a yappy dog in the 90s because they wouldn't release Windows in their obscure native language.

They don't _need_ nobody else. Just wait until software gets created in Chinese or Korean, and then gets translated into English as an afterthought. It's gonna be your worst nightmare.

$fanboy=(($UNIX !== $Linux && $UNIX == 'dead') == true)?'mouthfoam':'communist';

1. Phweak
      FAIL

Lack of SSL

They use ActiveX because President Clinton banned the Export Of SSL back when Korean banks were building their online banking sites.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like