back to article McKinnon gets a date for 'final' appeal

Pentagon hacker Gary McKinnon and his legal team have been given three months to prepare for a judicial hearing on whether the Home Secretary proceeded correctly in allowing extradition proceedings to proceed in spite of dire medical warnings. A judicial review will consider the strength of medical opinion that the Asperger's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Vociferous Time Waster
    FAIL

Comment-tards

The comments on this article are going to be interesting. Always a fresh new debate on this topic.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Comment-tards

I know, right? Stick the kettle on. Actually, hold the tea, cook us up a shot of skag, eh?

1. TimeMaster T

title

Oh, how I do envy you your icon choice. You Lucky Lady you.

:)

2. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge
      Pint

@ TVTW & Sarah

I love how we've progressed so far with this McKinnon thing that we can completely dispense with the comments section altogether. The debate is so done; we can skip right to bitching about the comments.

I propose the next evolution: Any and all future McKinnon articles are to contain no actual comments. Sarah just hands out a few sarcastic remarks, we change the forum section to read "LE SIGH" in giant letters, and we all move on.

:D

Also to whomever "thumbs downed" TVTW and Sarah for this...grow a sense of humour guys…

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would we extradite to Israel without evidence?

I know that government trust other governments, often removing all barriers in total trust. But as the details of the Israeli actions unwind, it's clear that sometimes other governments act illegally against our interests.

If it's acceptable to extradite to the USA without evidence that this person committed this crime, then why is it not acceptable to extradite to Israel? (Currently the Israel extradition requires evidence that the claimed person committed the claimed crime, but the Home Secretary is defending this extradition as totally acceptable, so on that basis he would extradite to Israel at the drop of a fake passport).

1. The BigYin

Because...

...we are not afraid of Israel, we do not owe Israel billions, we are not dependent on Israel for trade, we are not dependent on Israel for protection.

It's quite a long list.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Are we afraid of New Zealand?

The 'no evidence' clause also applies to New Zealand. As far as I can see there's no rational for it, perhaps Blunkett trusted English language countries but not one who speaks foreign!

It's quite incredible that a politician can be so naive (Blunkett in this case).

As for the rest of them, their inability to admit a mistake and correct it, really counts strongly against them. I found Alan Johnsons disingenuous answers as to what evidence is provided particular puke worthy.

3. Gordon is not a Moron

The timing of the hearing is interesting but predictable

Nicely set up so that both the current and new Governments can blame each other when Mr McKinnon finally gets shipped off Stateside.

4. Wyrdness

McKinnon Gets A Date...

Probably the only date he's ever going to get. If he'd got out more instead of hacking into other people's computers, then he wouldn't be in this mess.

5. Anonymous John

General Election?

I can't believe this will change anything. Opposition parties oppose. There's no reason to think that a future Tory Home Secretary will spare him.

It will probably just trigger a new round of judicial reviews.

Is this comment fresh enough?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ship the dirtbag

Ship the dirtbag to the U.S. and get on with life. He did the crime now he can do his time.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Ship the dirtbag

I told you that phrase will not be tolerated around here. You will be punished, but only when you least expect it.

I mean, really, if you can't do the time, you should think very seriously about not doing the crime. Shouldn't you?

1. John H Woods Silver badge
        Pirate

Nice ....

"when you least expect it" ... <shudder>. Maybe one day you will post a completely inoffensive comment and La Mod will arbitrarily and cruelly reject it. But I've a feeling she's got something much worse in store ... I wouldn't be in your e-shoes or anything.

2. Ted Treen
      Boffin

So by your reckoning...

any US GI who either commits adultery or drinks alcohol in Iraq/Afghanistan* should be passed over to the local "authorities" to be stoned to death?

I don't suppose I should bother reminding you how those nice gentlemen (nice words for Sarah's benefit) from PIRA slaughtered men, women AND children in Ulster, mainland UK and Europe yet the legals AND politicos in the US suddenly became misty-eyed Sons of Erin and not only refused to send back self-admitted murderers, but they continued to fund their "cause".

Pah! A pox & a plague upon US administration...

7. ShaggyDoggy

There but for

Meanwhile this guy's life hangs in the balance.

Have some respect please.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Done and dusted then...

"If opinion polls are to be believed, this is likely to leave Britain with a new government, a factor that may well play to McKinnon's favour. The opposition Tories have tabled debates against the US-UK extradition treaty calling for its reform, in support of McKinnon."

We know we can trust the Tories to keep their word. While they are busy saving McKinnon, we can all pass the time of day having a vote on the fuckin' EU!

Dear McKinnon's mum... Do wake up, you can't trust a Tory politician, any more than you can trust a Labour or LibDum, you are indulging in a massive dose of wishful thinking, if you think the Tories current position is anything more than opposition for the sake of it, they never oppose anything that is actually important.

Badgers, 'cos I have never seen it used before.

9. Ascylto
    Big Brother

Not him!

Send the Civil Servant/Minister twat who signed this extradition agreement instead.

How can we have an agreement to extradite our citizens without evidence? Even to a country which boasts it's the "Land of the Free"(ish)?

The US wouldn't treat THEIR citizens in this way!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like