back to article Archaeologists nail Bosworth Field

Historians have finally revealed what they reckon is the definitive site of the Battle of Bosworth - the 22 August 1485 scrap in which Henry Tudor's army defeated Richard III's forces. As history records, Richard himself led a direct charge against Henry, but was driven back into marshy ground where "he and his heavily …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Number6

My Kingdom for a Horse!

Now we know why he lost - his spare horse was delivered to the wrong field.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

ParcelFarce

How much those fools were behind it! Or could it have been ShittyLink? Sorry...

2. Lionel Baden

i thought

didnt they tend to viscously mutilate the corpse of their foe and display innards and outards on castle walls etc etc

rather than go ......

Footsoldier well done on killing richard.. no no dont worry about the body i dont need any proof.

need sarcasm icon

1. Phil 54
      Pint

Viscously?

Does that mean that they mutilated them in thick syrup?

*Beer because it's not very viscous

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Coat

My Kingdom for a horse

After his horse got stuck in the mud, Richard III really got the hump!

OK, I'll get my coat, and yes I know I should be ashamed of myself...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

nice little bit of history

Thanks for the update.

5. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    FAIL

"within walking distance"

Elsewhere the article says over 2 miles. For your average history buff, that's going to be a half hour walk each way. My guess is that they'll park next to the site and just give the visitor centre a miss.

1. Nate Phillips
      WTF?

My thoughts exactly.

I thought a "mile" was a fairly universal unit of measure.

Granted, I'm a Yank, and things across the Pond often translate differently....

1. Allan George Dyer
        Coat

What's the problem?

Two miles is a pleasant stroll.

Maybe have a small carpark for those who are truly disabled, but the lazy can make do with looking out the car/coach window on their way to the visitor's centre.

There, I even avoided making any nasty remarks about coachloads of obese Yankee tourists - oops, blown it!

Mine's the waterproof one, and the hike boots, please.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

walking distances

"Miles" may be the same both sides of the pond, but attitutes to walking differ!

A mile may be much to far to walk for the average American, but most of us in Britian would think that to be a perfectly reasonable walking distance!

1. Alan Firminger

No

Not to a family snug in a motor car.

2. ian 22

Miss the centre

From the photo, it doesn't appear that there is anything to be seen, other than the farms in leafy Leicestershire. Even the fatal marsh is gone. Makes a nice ramble, I suppose.

3. Alan Firminger

No

Park at the visitors' centre, take free papers, buy souvenirs as a yo-yo carrying a picture of a knight plus a paper knife like a miniature sword for grandpa, and give the field a miss.

It's only a field.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"groundbreaking archaeological survey"

As opposed to the kind where they only seem to break wind ?

1. Robert E A Harvey
      Headmaster

THE RAYS, THE RAYS

You anticipate my view that the vast majority of archaeology involves 'groundbreaking' in one form or another.

But then I'm such a smart-alec

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Re-enactment?

Tories v Labour?

I'd like to see that.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hung like a hog?

Is it just me or does that boar-badge seem to be crudely and excessively endowed. What was that all about?

9. PsyMan
    Thumb Up

Richard III

An important find considering it is the man who gave his name to the jellied eel eating British eastenders to use in reference to having a sh1t (There's a Richard the third in my shoe)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

for those who are truly disabled,

made me laugh more than it should have

11. Gary Turner

Again?

The French pulled the same stupid maneuver just 70 years earlier at Agincourt.. You'd think that folks who spend their lives beating up on each other would at least study a bit of military history. Well, them what ignore it are bound to repeat it.

cheers

12. HTML Mencken II
    Coat

"Nailing Bosworth"

If they're so smart, I'm surprised they didn't start with Kate . . .

Sorry, but it had to be said . . .

13. Brutus
    Alien

I'm surprised..

that no-one has mentioned the rather fetching crop-circles in the upper right of the photo. Or am I the only one that can see them?

Err, OK, moving on <reaches for tinfoil hat>

14. David Sidebotham
    Jobs Horns

My kingdom for a horse(power)?

Did anyone spot that this new site is just a stones throw (or an arrow flight) from the MIRA test track. Its nearer than the visitors centre anyway.

Surely Richard could have called for a Landrover.

This topic is closed for new posts.