back to article T-Mobile announces pay monthly package revamp

T-Mobile has formally torn up its old monthly contracts and replaced them with new ones it claims "give customers greater choice and flexibility". Sample tariffs quoted by the telco run from £20 to £35 per month, delivering between 300 and 500 bundled text messages and 300-900 minutes' call time. Depending on which phone you …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Greg J Preece

Uh-oh

The reason I use T-Mobile's network is the existence of Web and Walk Plus, which guarantees that I can use SSH, etc from my phone. Now that they've only got one level of net access, who's betting that it's the usual shite you get from mobile networks, with everything blocked except what good boys and girls use?

Serious question: which mobile networks allow you to use SSH/FTP from a phone? I've already asked the networks, and got various degrees of "uuhhhhh...dunno."

1. RegReaderInLancs

SSH

Virgin allows SSH no problem from their network. I've not tried FTP. I use the S60 port of PuTTY on a Nokia E72.

1. Greg J Preece

Cheers!

Ta for that! Had an O2 user confirm to me today that his contract phone can use SSH. Our Orange business phones can, but that's a business account, so it may be different.

3 reckon they can, and so do I, but I've not been able to confirm it.

Vodafone gave me a really weird answer. They said that they do block ports, but they couldn't tell me which ones, as they've no idea - apparently it changes "on a whim." Nice to know they can sell me a data tariff without knowing what it does...

I'll go into T-Mobile next time I get chance and see what they can tell me.

1. RegReaderInLancs

Re: Cheers!

If it works on Virgin then it should work on T-Mo because Virgin are only a MVNO and they use T-Mo's network.

I think I remember it working when I was on T-Mo last year.

2. Richard S

'unlimited'

So some mobiles come with unlimited access, and some its a flexible booster. Isn't this how it worked before, with Web'n'Walk? And unlimited still means 1Gb? Ok, so that's the best Fair Use Policy on the market currently, but 1Gb seriously? The carrier that offers 10Gb for the same price will get my £££

1. Greg J Preece

1GB?

I was under the impression it was 3GB. That's what they told me when I signed my contract.

Honestly, there needs to be some kind of regulatory involvement on this. Staff who do not have the answer (or have conflicting answers) to even the most basic of technical questions should not be allowed to sell Internet access!

1. madferret
        Thumb Up

You can have 10GB...

The standard WnW limit is 1GB, but there is a 'Plus' option that includes WiFi hotspots and phone modem use, with 3GB allowance. There was also a 'Max' option that allows VOIP and an allowance of 10GB.

My contract is on the original WnW with a whopping 40MB (sic) a month allowance, but I persuaded T-Mo to give me the Plus add-on for £5 a month extra. I hope they don't force the new tariffs on existing customers as I'm happy with what I have, thank u very much.

3. RegReaderInLancs

@Greg J Preece

I've since confirmed that FTP (passive mode at least) works using Virgin's 3G service. You're good to go :)

FWIW I'm on a £25/mo contract that gets me 500 minutes, unlimited (well, 3000 so as good as) texts and unlimited (1GB in reality) of data.

4. Greg J Preece

Cheers Lancs

Much obliged. Hopefully SSH will work on a standard connection without me having to pay the extra tenner for "mobile broadband plus." Feckers.

Now if I can just avoid the shitty way they treat their upgrading customers...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like