back to article MS botches Office 2010 prices, hikes Professional by £30

Microsoft got its sums wrong on the price tag for the boxed version of Office Professional 2010, forcing it to hike the product by £30. The company revealed UK prices for its Office 2010 editions yesterday, but mistakenly priced the off-the-shelf Professional version to retail at £399.99. "Following the announcement on UK …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Stephenson
    Linux

£399?

Still £399 more than I'd be willing to consider paying for it.

I'll stick with oO.

2. AndyMM
    Gates Horns

Time for Open Office

Says it all

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Prices?

Is that right then? $499 for the US version and £429 for the UK version?

"Rip off Britain" - we need an icon for that surely?

4. Gabor 2
    Happy

Little difference

Someone willing to waste 400 Pounds on a product that can easily be replaced by OpenOffice for free, should also be ok to pay a little bit more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

But but but

Following the perceived wisdom on this board, that would surely make them a fanboi, wouldn't it?

Coat, gotten, exiting.

5. Neal 5

yes, but all said and done

a quick check of my favourite retail supplier in a few weeks time will save me approximately 100% of the price anyway. Not to name names, but uTorrent is a very handy little torrent client indeed.

6. GeorgeTuk
    WTF?

Sorry but how much?

That is outrageous.

I know that is off the shelf but come on that is just silly. How can you justify that now? iWork (admittedly not as good) is just $80.

I think you have just lost yourself 130 licences, the only thing is Outlook, if I had a good alternative to that and could save in .DOC then I will be moving. I will actually be actively looking into it now.

7. Eugene Goodrich
    Paris Hilton

2+2 does equal 5...

... for sufficiently large values of 2.

8. Neil Greatorex
    Thumb Down

£429 sodding pounds 99 pence

WTF?

If it cost them a bazillion pounds to develop, with projected sales of something like 5 or 600 million, to recover their development costs & make a small profit, sales prices of 3 to 4 pounds a unit would be about right. If I'm a zero out, then 30 to 40 pounds.

Obscene.

1. Magnus_Pym

Yes but.

It doesn't just have to recover it's development costs. It has to cover the entire cost of running the worlds largest software company because they are making fuck all elsewhere. All those loss leading xboxes. All those xbox returns. All that Vista and Win7 crap that only get a few dollars from OEM prices 'cause nobody was stupid enough to buy it off the shelf. All that 'We will buy company 'x' and make ourselves king of business opportunity 'y'". Zune FFS. Big business and government using the threat of Linux to negotiate huge discounts.

They have been spending money like water and only really have one shaky product that they can load the price on because it still has a sort of monopoly.

9. woodmans
    Unhappy

ye Gods!

coo.......so what does it do that's different for '07 or '03........is OpenOffice looking better by the minute?

1. Citizen Kaned

if its anyting like the difference between 03 and 07

then all they will do is make it even less stable and move the icons to a stupid bar so you cant find anything. and they wonder why people bootleg their stuff eh?

we certainly will be dropping it if we ever upgrade. greedy bastards.

10. John 29
    WTF?

Let me be the first to point out....

...the US preinstall of Pro is $399 you say - not too bad.

Our boxed version (assuming we can't have the preinstall for some strange anti-competitive reason) is £430.

Current exchange rate is 1 USD = 0.6363 GBP so...

that's the eqivalent of $683..

which means our economic recovery must be in full swing because how else could we afford this price?

1. Guus Leeuw
      Coat

Pointing out the point-outer

Well John 29,

comparing apples to apples is what we scientists do...

The comparison then runs between $499 and $683. Which is far less bad than your peaches and apples comparison there.

Just my $0.02,

Guus

Mine's the one with Office 2010 for Partners in the pocket :-)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

typical

they must have used excel to calculate it.

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

What??

Who the hell would pay that for Ofice? I stopped using office years ago due to its ever increasing bloat of uneeded crap.

openoffice anyone?

13. alain williams Silver badge

Stupidly expensive

I never realised that it was that expensive -- I'll just stick with OpenOffice if I need a word processor

14. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Bloody hell over £400 for an office package

Bloody hell!! Over £400 for some office software, and M$ wonder why businesses haven't upgraded since office 2003 (some places still even use earlier versons) and private individuals (such as me) just download a torrent! 2003 does everything I need it to do, not to mention that I hate the ribbon interface in 2007.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

As the 1980-es joke about a job ad for "romanian minister of economics" says

2+2?

That depends. If it is to give it is 3... if it is to take it is 5... If it is for the audited books it is 2...

And only if it is for our _OWN_ books it is 4.

16. steve 9

lol 400 pounds haha

i've seen it all now ... 400 + pounds for an office suite???

lets see 400 + pounds or open office which does everything 2010 does but for free?

real tough choice....

17. N2

decimal point

in the wrong place

£42.99 is about right

18. jake Silver badge

£429.99? Geebus!

That is a freaking HUGE price for what is going to be, in essence, a software clusterfuck. All you anti-OOo folks might want to take another look. And maybe at a few other OS options.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Because you know you want it!

That's OK, I'll get my coat now.

20. unitron
    Gates Horns

60 MHz waffle irons

"Let's just hope the company didn't use Excel when compiling its price list. ®"

Perhaps they still using an original Pentium.

21. Pandy06269
    FAIL

OpenOffice or StarOffice

I bought StarOffice (the commerical version of OpenOffice) 9 this time last year for about £60.

I purchased a Mac in September and bought iWork for about £60.

Even the student version of 2007 was only £80 - now it's gone up by another £30.

I've never ever bought MS Office and with prices nearly 7 times more expensive than its competition, I never will.

Stunned. But in all seriousness, I wonder how many companies will stump up the license fee because they either believe there's nothing else better, or they don't believe something does the job unless you pay for it.

22. Time for a career change
    Linux

Why would anyone...

... pay for an office package these days? Private or commercial use there's no need.

OpenOffice.org, OxygenOffice (OpenOffice with added extras), Lotus Symphony (OpenOffice with IBM's added features), Novell's edition of OpenOffice. Take your pick, they are all free!

Note to Microsoft:

Free, definition of:

Adjective describing something given or supplied without payment, adjective describing freedom from restrictive licenses, DRM, proprietory formats.

Note to El Reg:

Can't we have an icon showing that very British two-digit salute?? Please??

23. Christopher Rogers
    Gates Horns

Really?

Standard edition with Publisher for the mass market at £50 would remove any arguement. Instead, people with either stick with older editions of BT the nuts out of this one.

24. Clyde

does anyone actually pay that kind of money ?

If you've any connection with the NHS it's about a tenner for a legit download. Schools and other government places get huge "discounts". There's the Home & Student version at somewhere between £50 and £100 depending who you buy it from, all legit. Or the student download at £30something.

And between £100 and £200 for an OEM on a new computer.

So who are the eejits buy at £400++ ?

A pricing policy similar to Ryanair's then : as much as can be screwed from the customer.

25. Trygve

it's certainly an interesting illustration of how MS have captured the value in the chain

You want a computer to do some work on and are Joe Average, hence MS is the way for you.

Office Suite - £400

Laptop to run it on £400

Laptop price includes, what, £40-£50 for Windows OEM?

So all those multi-billion dollar fabs making TFTs, chips & HDDs, all the sweatshops to put the bits together, the distribution chain to move the parts all over Asia and then on to your front door, and the service and support infrastructure for the actual computer, plus the R&D to improve things - all of that has to exist on £350 or less, while MS scoop up ~£450 for pushing out some recycled code with a few extra layers of lipstick on. Impressive.

26. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Home and student edition 2007 is GBP 99 - plus corporate programs let you get it cheaper

(I'm using office 2007 as an example as I expect 2010 will be similar in terms of home and student and corporate programs)

I think office is a decent tool and does what I need - however, I would not spend 449 on it - even the upgrade price of seems excessive.

BUT

most home users should be happy for the home and student edition - at 99.99 this appears to be an okay price for software that I need, know how to use, can expect other users to be able to open/read etc (this is an example for Office 2007 - but I'm sure 2010 will be similar)

Most home users will not want outlook/publisher/access

The professional/small business editions are aimed at business - so for a start they reclaim the vat from (bringing the cost to GBP382 / 254 for upgrade). And if it is a profitable company the rest will be tax dedutible - so won't cbe as big a cost to a business as you think).

There are ways to get it cheaper - Microsoft run a home use program with my company - so I get the latest version for GBP15 (ish)

Students with a .ac.uk address in the pas have been able to get it much cheaper - so no we're not all being ripped off.

So you can get it for a reasonable price and not have to resort to piracy!!!!!

I don't think MOST home users to need outlook / publisher / access - but if you do then does open office have replacement tools for something like access??????

YES IT IS EXPENSIVE BUT THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE OF MISSING THE WHOLE PICTURE AND THEN PEOPLE REPLYING WITHOUT CHECKING THE FULL STORY

27. Whitter
    Thumb Down

Let's end pointless "upgrading"

Most folk already have an office package.

Why do they need a new one?

28. Stone Fox
    WTF?

correct me if I'm wrong

but open office doesn't have an outlook equivalent?

I'm thinking that's the main reason a lot of businesses will just give up and pay M$.

Anyone tried mozilla thunderbird? Is that good enough to replace outlook?

1. Keith Oldham
      Linux

Re : Anyone tried mozilla thunderbird?

I've never used anything else ( for home use - I used Exchange in a corporate life) so I can't give you pro/con. I only use it as an e-mail client (occ. on Windows -although no more, always on Linux) I've got no complaints or niggles.

29. Rod MacLean
    Megaphone

WTF?!?

£430 quid for something that barely does more than Office 97 did (13 years ago!)

They can go and ram their Office up their arses - then they can pull it out with the bloody stupid ribbon befoer ramming it up there again.

30. Daniel Warner
    FAIL

Not the amount but the exchange...

It isn't that it is priced too high, it is just YET ANOTHER case where we in Blighty get completely SHAFTED by a software company. How can they justify that exchange rate? If it was that they spent a lot of money making it 'British' I'd be a bit more sympathetic, but the ONLY thing they do is sort out the spelling dictionary (Which they still get wrong anyhoo) - they rest of the software is as US oriented as any other.

Gits.

31. Neil 6
    Megaphone

Flex

MS flexing it's monopolistic muscles I see.

I've just tested the new Open Office, it's good, and getting better, but the killer app remains Outlook. Once there is a worth Outlook alternative MS will revise prices, until then, bend over and take it.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

On another note.....

As the mystics have been saying for years and as quantum physics is proving, 2+2 *does* equal 5.

Why? Because some(one) has to be doing the counting.

Bloody heck, I must be amanfrommars's lost twin brother!

33. yoinkster
    Grenade

MS Office >> openoffice

you simpletons may think that oo is good enough to replace MS Office but it's not for real users. It may be good enough for you low-end users who need to put =2+2 in a cell but for the rest of us who have to do serious work, oo doesn't even come close.

Mercifully on the partner programme I'm going to get Office 2010 in my bundles as, as much as I need MS Office, I'd never part with that sort of cash for it.

1. Keith Oldham
      Linux

Re : MS Office >> openoffice

Bol??cks !

I've used huge, complex Excel spreadsheets in a scientific environment - many so large, that Excel couldn't cope and I had to shift to JMP. Of course OO isn't as fast or quite as capable BUT for most users it's good enough given that it's FREE and runs on Linux as well. If you really need it ( or think you do) spend the money - but don't patronize - OO will run really complex sheets within its limits which are considerable. You will not build a cogent argument by exaggerating !

34. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Now that OO supports 2007 Word files...

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/gates_horns_32.png

M$ will do there god-dammest to make another proprietary file format, thereby forcing you to buy a $40 program for $800. Or, you just use Open Document format for free. Geezus, how stupid is that marketing over there at M$?

35. Steven 34
    Gates Horns

Piratebay

And i wonder why people download from torrent site!!!!

With prices like that i could buy the new i-pad plus i-works!!!

36. Neil Spellings
    WTF?

Where have you all been?

Has everyone on this site been living in a cave the last few years and really had no clue on how much the full Office suite really costs?

And as to those who are saying "who the hell will buy Office?" I think you'll find the answer is "majority of large corporates and most of the public sector"

You don't think Microsoft makes a large percentage of it's overall revenue by giving away Office for next to now't now surely?

37. Ned Leprosy Silver badge
    WTF?

How much?!

Bloody hell - £430? I'm not getting into any "x is better than y" arguments here, I'm just astonished at the size of the wad they expect punters to hand over. My flabber is well and truly gasted.

38. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like