back to article Facebook goes lighter than Lite

Facebook is introducing a lower-than-low-bandwidth way to get aboard its überpopular social-networking service. None too surprisingly, it's called Facebook Zero. According to a the BBC, the service is essentially a text-only version of the Facebook service designed for areas where mobile bandwitch is near-nonexistent - which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Hmm

Is this why tonight, searching Facebook was borked? Totally useless. To be honest it's falling apart anyway in terms of usability - I've heard of too many reports of people being unable to find people in searching: a pretty major failing in a social network. I've experienced it enough myself, along with months of posts randomly going missing.

Give or take the falings of Microsoft or Apple, at least they make tangible products. Even Microsoft - nominally a softare company! - makes products you can touch. I very much doubt FB will be around in 10 years time. Its primary function - contact - will probably be usurped by IT tech generally; if not, an open-source conglomeration of other "social networks" will successfully compete in its back yard. Even Google offers a service, but at some point I imagine its search function will be annulled - within a decade or two. Probably the latter, since predictions of technology are never sooner rather than later - flying cars, anyone?

(Actually, having learned to fly, I now know the dream of flying cars is a "never" rather than "later" - just shows what a bit of knowledge does, eh?)

I don't dislike FB particularly, but it's just another AOL.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

RE: Hmmm

I hate to break it to you but I was searching Facebook last night with no problems... as was my flatmate.

Since I was also involved in two on-line conversations via Facebook, I suspect that the problems are/were limited to your machine...

2. Annihilator

Getting closer...

...until the point where it's just Twitter

3. Mike Flugennock
    Joke

Facebook... Lite?

Isn't that a redundant phrase?

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Like most "Lite" products

Best avoided or consumer infrequently.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

facebork japes aside ...

It's interesting that in a time where we're told everyone wants feature rich content based ona high bandwidth always on connection ... accessibility is still desirable.

There's money in them thar dumb phones.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

APP-alling

Mine's the one with 'Facebook : Just Talk To Your Friends' written on it.

Not 'Facebook : Express Your Sexual Frustration Via Several Thousand Badly Coded Apps'.

7. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

Old news.

You should try the new lower than ultra-low bandwidth version, "Facebook Bugger All". When installed it provides a Facebook icon on your smartphone that links to "about:blank".

The content's a massive improvement over the full fat version....

8. Wize

Its not fully worked since the last 'upgrade'

Lots are still missing posts and cannot get into their apps (the latter being a good thing as I won't get spammed with 'Mary has bought a new pig' crap).

9. Elmer Phud

Siberia?

Try parts of Dorset where 3G will always be 'over the hill' and the overhead lines keep getting taken out by people 'controlling pests'.

Facebook needs to have some sort of policing of the apparent minimum age as it has become popular with 8 year olds.

I'd agree with the first AC -- where's all the stuff gone? Why does it seem to wobble when pictures are being posted - to the extent of them either not appearing ot appearing three times.

Best to sort out the main one first.

10. OFI
    Thumb Up

Good idea.

Can we use the plugin for Firefox to trick Facebook into letting us use the lite version?

Would be a good way to skip the adverts and apps nonsense :-)

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Mr

No plugin needed, just go here:

http://lite.facebook.com/settings/defaultsite/

11. Alain
    Paris Hilton

Carrier support ?

I might be a bit dense (couldn't find a better icon, eh?), but I don't get the idea of support by carrier.

As long as you have IP connectivity to the site and you can render the logon page, what kind of "support" is this ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like