back to article CardersMarket hacking kingpin jailed for 13 years

Prolific malicious hacker Max Ray Vision was jailed for 13 years over a series of massive credit card scams that cost US banks an estimated $86 million. Vision (aka Iceman), 37, was also ordered to pay $27.5m in compensation to his victims by senior US District Judge Maurice Cohill Jr during a sentencing hearing last on Friday …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. 46Bit

Now now Reg...

"malicious hacker", whilst better than just hacker, is a bit convoluted, I'd expect with the people who read this site that cracker is a better option.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't know

I do support your early post, and yes you are right, but as a halfway house Malicious Hacker is not too bad.

2. Kevin Gurney

UK Banks ?

Would any of those cards have been issued by UK based financial institutes ?

If so, would that provide a parallel with a UK based "hacker" abusing systems located in the US ?

3. Mrs Trellis

Here in North Wales...

we think that "a lesser sentence as a result of his co-operation with the authorities in other (unspecified) investigations" is just as pathetic a sentence as that imposed on someone I met in the local Safeway last week - I wonder what one should expect for dogging in the cucumber and celery aisle?

On another issue I really must ask is the Moderatrix is in any way, shape or form related to the lovely Samantha?

Yours in truth, honesty and a five minute-brewed cuppa.

Mrs Trellis

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

13 years is a good start

When he's done with that give him another 50 years just so he understands how to play the game.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

However

But depending on the reader, seeing "cracker" might just imply that he was white...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

13 years for $86 million...

How many years should the bankers get for the billions they have cost the banking industry? Instead they get millions in bonuses. The joke is on us.

7. Joe User
    FAIL

Needs a bigger fine

Steal $86 million, pay $27.5 million in fines, keep $58.5 million. That works out to $4.5 million for every year in jail.

1. James O'Brien
      Joke

You forget though

take into account what he lost to Mr. Madoff and hes probably paying out more then he has...though how does it work in the US (sadly I dont even know and I live here) if you have a balance on funds to be repaid?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes...

Because that's how law enforcement works, they let you keep all the money that you steal and pay a fine that is less than that total...

1. kain preacher

Not in the US

If they can prove he spent the money after he has be convected they can hit him with money laundry charges

8. Steve Roper

No, no, no

Commuting a sentence of 25-to-life to 13 years is just too damn lenient for filth like this. It SHOULD have been "You're going to swing from the end of a rope" commuted to "You're going to die of old age in prison."

9. Neal 5

@anon coward

"But depending on the reader, seeing "cracker" might just imply that he was white..."

I'm not sure you can make any colour association from the context of the story, but you can make the association that the story is about the dregs of society, maybe from that you could imply any colour association or ethnicity you wish to.

As an aside, trailer trash, does actually refer to white Americans, Mr Vision has proved himself to be a charlatan, can one imply from that, he is trailer trash, also?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A lot of people would go to jail for a million dollars

The bankers should be cell mates with this clown.

11. heystoopid
    Paris Hilton

Hmmm

Hmmm , sang like a yellow canary , providing all the good dirt on his fellow conspirators undoubtedly ! The Secret Service will be knocking on quite a few more doors come midnight at the oasis .

12. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Is that REALLY his name?

Max Ray Vision? Really?

Do you think his parents actually wanted to call him Xavier but bottled it at the last second? And given the very catchy real name he then calls himself 'Iceman'.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Butler Did It

I think it's Max Ray Butler. Max Ray is a pretty good name anyway, better IMHO than Iceman. His real name (even the really real one) is better than his fake name. Imagine Magnus Magnusson donning a mask and cape and calling himself Dave Smith.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Put him on ice for 35 years

Being the"Iceman" I think they should put him on ice for 35 years to cool his heals.

14. kain preacher

@Neal 5

Cracker is a racial slur in America. I'm not to sure there is away to put context around it so most Americans would not think so. So if you are going to refer as some as a cracker in America you better make it very clear what you are saying .

15. jon 72

Plenty more Black Hats out There

So am making better use of my time looking for the story about - dogging in the cucumber and celery aisle..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like