back to article Windows Phone 7 Series launched

Windows Mobile, farewell. Welcome, Windows Phone 7 Series. Yes, a unnecessarily long name, but one that's make or break for Microsoft's mobile phone ambitions. As expected, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmet unveiled the new OS at the ongoing Mobile World Congress in Barcelona today. Equally anticipated was the news that the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Insane Reindeer
    Happy

A little lat yes

But welcome to the party Microsoft! The more the merrier!

2. James Dunmore
    Coat

Windows 7....

...minutes battery time

...total number of happy users

...number of phones that don't crash

...times as many iPhones sold

I'll stop now.

3. Gangsta

awesome!

Port to htc Touch diamond? - probably not

Anyway, The interface looks good , but will it be the same powerhouse that Windows Mobile was?

Have Microsoft switched their focus to the consumer? or just business people wanting a nicer looking interface.

The former methinks. We've seen this practice from some vendors already. (HTC for example - Touch series)

4. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Mmmm

I do like. Microsoft seem to be getting their edge back - with Windows 7 and now this, they've realised that UI does count. Seem to have realised that a closed ecosystem reaps rewards too - have to see how that works out for them.

5. Jim 16
    Happy

Pretty

As a dyed-in-the-wool Mac & iPhone user, my initial reaction to this latest announcement from M$ is:

That looks pretty, I'd like to try it.

6. Vaidotas Zemlys
    Thumb Down

Office?

I see that Office is going to be pushed upon us. Let us hope that it at least will display the files properly. The utter shite that is Ms office for Mac, doesn't leave me very hopeful, that Ms is capable to produce something usable outside pc platform. Note I am not Mac fanboy, I just had the unfortunate opportunity to work with aforementioned pile of bodily waste products.

7. uhuznaa

What?

Either El Reg is blubbering here or MS. Stringing together buzz-words does not make a good UI. I've rarely read something with less content to chew on.

8. Ryan 7
    Megaphone

Looks good!

Loving the "NO DODGY UI OVERLAYS!" message.

9. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

A Bing button?

Oh, please, shoot me now.

10. Ascylto
    Gates Horns

Come on ...

Give Microsoft Windows Mobile a chance!

It might work!

11. EtonBears
    Joke

Are Microsoft going to pay to have someone make the phones?

No manufacturer control...

No operator control...

All services point to Micrososft...

All revenue goes to Microsoft...

So, why would a major manufacturer make them, or an major operator push them?

I guess there will always be people that will buy Microsoft regardless, but in the phone space I doubt their numbers will be that important...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like