back to article Cambridge firm gets $26m for tiny-projector tech

A Cambridge company looking to develop miniaturised projection systems for use in converged handsets has secured $26m of VC funding. Light Blue Optics raised the cash principally from Earlybird of Germany and Capital-E from Belgium. Funding was also forthcoming from the British 3i group and the UK's National Endowment for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. cor

Uhm,

"Projected market share no illusion as holographic light weight get flash of cash."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"sugar cube" -- kiss of death

I'm still waiting for my "sugar cube" terabyte storage device

(see http://www.newscientist.com/blog/technology/2006/03/terabyte-holo-memory.html for an example)

Anything technological that's "sugar cube" sized never ever seems to make it to the marketplace.

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Cuppa?

"Yes please... and have you seen the new 'sugar cube' projector?"

<stir stir stir>

"Oh dear..."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: "sugar cube" -- kiss of death

>> Anything technological that's "sugar cube" sized never ever seems to make it to the marketplace.

Perhaps the prototypes all got dissolved in tea?

5. Day Barr

Re: "sugar cube" -- kiss of death

> Anything technological that's "sugar cube" sized never ever seems to make it to the marketplace.

How about the ubiquitous "technology for enabling the speedy delivery of discrete portions of sucrose to hot beverages"?

Two please.

6. Graham Marsden

Sugar Cube?

What's that in EU Standard Grapefruits?

7. hugo tyson

Sugarcube...

...sized things never work, apart of course for USB keyring storage, a TiB in about the volume of a sugar cube, and the cameras in untold number of phones.

Though sugar-cube size *and shape* is a bad idea for marketing, you'd just lose the thing.... so you'd have to buy a fresh one... that's brilliant! Sell it!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SI units

Since when is sugar-cube sized an approved unit?

Grapefruits please.

9. Stu

Lazerz?

Ahh this reminds me of the new tech I read about a while ago, not sure if it's the same thing, but they manage it by replacing the normally used large white lightbulb and TFT filters, and replacing them with scanning lasers.

Its easy to make a cheap red laser, semi-easy to make a cheap green laser, but blue ones aren't, but have come along now, theyre built into blu-ray players such as the PS3 (you can pay a company to pull a laser from a PS3 and make you a laser pointer! www.wickedlasers.com).

Theoretically, combining similarly powered red, green and blue lasers should be able to give you any colour with PWM. Scan them a la cathode-ray but using mirrors, and you can make full colour displays.

The great thing is that the mirrors can be minute, extremely light, and be moved precisely with very little power.

So except for the blue laser obstacle, its a wonder why they're not here yet - It'd be great having even a monochrome red or green scanning laser display!

Its not exactly magic guys.

Slightly concerning being stood in front of them though

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scanning Laser Projection Display

Done. Little larger than a sugar cube, sadly...

http://www.microvision.com/pico_projector_displays/index.html

This topic is closed for new posts.