back to article Microsoft to cough up surprise SQL Server 2005 SP4 furball

Microsoft has pricked up its ears over customer demands for a fourth service pack for its aged SQL Server 2005 database, and confirmed SP4 will be pushed out before the end of this year. "You overwhelmingly requested another servicing release for SQL Server 2005. Given your feedback Microsoft targets now such release in Q4/ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Gadsden 1

SQL2005 is aging well

Because SQL 2005 was the first version of SQL to come in an x64 edition, there are a lot of 2005 installations that customers have no particular need to upgrade - 2000 to 2005 brought huge benefits; 2005 to even 2008 R2 is a fairly small step, which tends to provoke thoughts of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

2. b166er

By huge demand

there should therefore also be an XP SP4

3. John Sanders
    Linux

XP SP4?

And why not also a Win2k3 SP3?

We're talking MS here customer comes after, not before.

4. Mark Dowling
    Thumb Up

Many SME admins have no choice

They may run apps like Blackberry Enterprise Server which in an SME environment is used with SQL2K5 Express and have no option to upgrade

5. Rob Moir

Not always up to us

Quite often a business will be running whatever version of a database product that the line of business app using it will support. It's no good me wanting to upgrade to SQL Server 2008r2 for whatever reason if my users will lynch me when their CRM app stops working.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like