back to article Street View pulls Canadian murder scene

Google has pulled images of an Ontario murder scene from Street View, the Windsor Star reports. At around 2am on 21 July, 2009, 24-year-old Nicholas Ingram was stabbed to death in the parking lot of the Leopard's Lounge and Broil strip club at 1190 Wyandotte St. W, Windsor. Later that day, the Steet View vehicle passed by and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. epocalypse
    Big Brother

You made me look.

And although the main offending image is gone you can still see the murder scene and associated crime scene tape if you move along the street a bit.

1. Sean Bergeron
      Big Brother

Just a black screen now

Still, while there's some snickering to be had, this should be unsurprising to anyone who's ever viewed security cameras in a large office building. Hint: *lots* of people pick their noses in the elevator.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Law
    Paris Hilton

agreed!

"Street View on Google Maps shows what you would see if you were walking down the street yourself"

Yes... if you were on stilts with binoculars...

1. oddie
      Coat

but..

you seem quick to presume that this is not the most prolific method of executive travel for most pundits here at the reg?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Stiltz is not ilegals, neither are binocs

please stop now. dont be givin em gubermentals ideas.

As an aside my eyes see more than streetview, dont need no Bins. perhaps an optician could help you.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

anon for some reason.

pics or it didn't happen!

5. jake Silver badge

I can't be arsed to look ...

... but does this mean google maps stays away from the East Bay and Vallejo like the rest of the sensible people on the planet?

6. 3G

looks

Looks like a nightmare on Elm Street.

7. Crazy Operations Guy

Wouldn't the driver have noticed?

I mean how hard is it to remember "Murder on 3rd street, probably should tell the supervisor"

Of course this IS Google, always doing things without consideration for local laws or even peoples' privacy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wrong algorithm?

Like google news and their search engine, the street view cars are driven by computer generated algorithms.

Obviously their AI is limited, and they might have lost that variable regarding the murder scene.

Either that or they accidently put a book scanning/OCR algorithm into that street view car, and it thought the murder scene was just part of the plot.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Gates Halo

google is evil

get used to it. The times when google stood for "do no evil" have long passed. Now they make M$ look like the good guys :))

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title Required

Usually I'm all for black humour but aren't we just laughing at some poor bloke getting stabbed here?

9. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Windsor?

I prefer the Cleveland 302

1. jake Silver badge

Cleveland 302 (5.0l) ...

Most Yanks who know about Ford's line of V8s have never heard of the 302C, just the 302W ... In the interests of any hot-rodder who might be reading this, the 302C heads are an interesting alternative to increase compression on most of Ford's W/C/M line of engines. Just pay close attention to valve/piston clearance ...

I had a set of Aussie Cleveland heads on my 351ci (5.7l) '70 Mercury Cougar for a while. Then I got busted for running racing fuel on the street & put the stock 4V heads back on it so I could go back to pump gas (petrol). Until they dropped the octane levels of "street" fuel to the point where the motor would ping (detonate) under any normal acceleration. Today it's back on racing fuel, and is only driven at the track. Usually ;-)

On topic: The fuel injection is computer controlled ... and it'd make a good get-away car ;-)

10. Paul S. Gazo

I'm a local

I live in Windsor. I don't get it. The killing happened. The investigation happened. Why having imagery surrounding the investigation is "tasteless" or even "distressing", I don't know. If I were related to the victim, I wouldn't be using Street View to check out the strip club where it happened. Otherwise, who is this footage bothering?

I'd be more disturbed by the fact that when Google imaged our city we were embroiled in a historically unprecedented THREE MONTHS. No garbage pick-up, no maintenance of public parks - our city which does a lot of tourist traffic - looked like hell. That our city is recorded "permanently" as very unattractive is far more disturbing than that one of our average two murders a year happened moments before Google showed up.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Something's missing...

... ah! I know, it's the twit who used to infest each and every StreetView thread with 'Oh come on I cant see what ppls problem is StreetView is cool and you privacy ppl shud get over urselves hur hur!' Change of Google PR strategy perhaps?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

And I can't see photographs of similar incidents on the news everyday?

I can see similar photographs, scenes etc. on the news everyday. Just because you can't see it, it did not happen?

Ostrich, sand, PC comes to mind.

13. elderlybloke
    Linux

Where are your Coppers?

They should be arresting the Google car driver, like they arrest tall of even short photographers over there.

Could be that given the apparent low intellect of your police, they can only identify pedestrian photographers.

The NZ Police have something called common sense, which may have been lost by your lot.

14. Chimpofdoom!
    Go

Apparently...

On August 27th they had a bikini contest...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like