back to article Red Dwarf's Kryten exposes iPhone number

Red Dwarf thesp Robert Llewellyn has been left a tad red-faced after exposing his mobile phone number to the interwebs. Llewellyn was evidently so fired up about the acquisition of a new iPhone 3G that he slapped this snap of the boxed Jesus Phone up on Twitpic, unaware he was laying bare his most intimate digits: Robert …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. georgeclooneylookalike
    Coat

Smeeeeeeegg-heeeeeeaaad!

Enough said.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He's an actor.

He's on Red Dwarf. I like Red Dwarf. But for the life in me I can't see why that should mean I, nor anybody else, would want to call him? He could paint his number in 100 foot high digits on the side of Red Dwarf itself, I still wouldn't be interested.

1. Rod MacLean

Red Dwarf

...and they've only made 3 (I think it was 3) episodes of Red Dwarf in the last 12 years or something!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

7 series

"...and they've only made 3 (I think it was 3) episodes of Red Dwarf in the last 12 years or something!"

More like 7 series/seasons.

1. Steven Knox
          Boffin

12 years goes by very quickly

Exactly 8 episodes were released in the past 12 years -- specifically season 8 (Feb 1999 - Apr 1999). Season 7's original airings ended in March, 1997 -- over 12 years ago.

2. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

What happened to the screaming hysteria?

> He's on Red Dwarf. I like Red Dwarf. But for the life in me I can't see

> why that should mean I, nor anybody else, would want to call him?

> He could paint his

...obviously not a Red Dwarf fan then.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@JEDIDIAH

Yes I am a fan, so much so that after the first ten minutes of the recent 3 part special I stopped watching. However, I still don't see why I would want to call any of them, it's just something I can't get my head around. Red Dwarf is a TV programme for entertainment, the actors did what they get paid to do and on the whole they did it well. They act, I watch, that's the end of the relationship.

3. Richard 120
      Paris Hilton

Scrapheap Challenge

He does that too, and probably other things. People (not like us) have this wierd celebrity worship thing going on. I don't really get it, but they do, and they would phone the number for similar unknown (to me) reasons.

The only celebrity worth worshipping is the Moderatrix.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Scrapheap Challenge

Damn straight. Now please put the binoculars down and get out of my garden.

3. Professor Tinklepants
    FAIL

Oh, spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska!

Clumsy Appletard mode activated, Sir....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Appletard

If Kryten was that incompetent, surely it would be a sign he was running Windows 1,002k?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

He's not dope

he's a twit.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Got your number

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPhone - All style and no substance

No wonder so many celebrities love them. They probably feel a kindrid spirit.

7. irish donkey
    Happy

Well, Space Corps Directive 195 clearly states..............................

No man should get a double poraliod over a i-Brick

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@irish donkey

What's a "polariod"? Some kind of futuristic alien?

1. Steven Knox
        FAIL

When calling attention to a misspelling...

by referencing it as if it were correct, it's generally best to repeat the misspelling. I think the majority of us know what a "polaroid" is, and certainly the Red Dwarf fans know what a "double polaroid" is (and just by context, the majority of the rest should be able to figure it out...)

2. Oz
        FAIL

Epic fail

If you're going to remark on someone's bad spelling, at least make sure you spell the word (in)correctly! Otherwise you just look a complete ass. No wonder you posted anonymously ;-)

8. Smallbrainfield
    Unhappy

There's rather a lot of Apple

product in that pic. Is he yet another celebrity stooge in the pocket of Steve Jobs fawning over slick but ultimately just a phone/pc/thing you leave on the bus tat? I think we should be told.

1. Mike Watts
      FAIL

look again

the picture was clearly taken in the Apple store - you can see the little perspex price block in the corner.

9. PaulWizard
    FAIL

To coin a phrase...

OOOOPPS

10. LinkOfHyrule
    Jobs Horns

I like Red Dwaf but...

...Typical Apple Fanboi

...and no I'm not taking the mickey out of "typical Apple users" I said typical Apple fanboi. Anyone who has seen his website, watched his video podcast or heard him on a certain 'Apple fanboi' podcast presented by Leo 'the lovable fanbio' Laporte knows what I mean!

Think about it, taking a pic of new Apple product and tweeting it = FANBOI - just another example of putting Apple (the cult) first before your own personal safety, security and dignity.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@LinkOfHyrule

...and what about those celbrities that love Andriod etc etc?

Some of them have posted pictures of their new phones too...

And surely you must be one of HIS "fanbois" if you've been to his website, watched his video podcasts etc!

1. LinkOfHyrule
        Paris Hilton

Hehe got me!

Ok ok, I admit it, I'm just teasing the Apple fanbios - but please, they do ask for it sometimes, well always nearly!

I take the mick out of all platforms, its just that the media is so obsessed with Apple that its rare these days to find a good opportunity to take the mickey out of M$ or Linux. I've completely ran out of blue screening jokes and if you say anything bad about Linux you get accused of being part of the axis of evil and a penguin hater!

And for the record, anyone who take a picture of a cardboard box, dose a youtube video of themselves opening a cardboard box or tweets about a cardboard is silly - unless of course your name is Stuart Ashen or its a huge oversized cardboard box containing one usb cable from HP, in which case I expect a full in-depth report here on the Register!

Paris, cos we have all seen her box!

2. martinX

Blame Twitter, not Apple

"Think about it, taking a pic of new Apple product and tweeting it = FANBOI"

Blame Twitter, not Apple. Twitterers tell the world about making a sandwich, so a tweet that involves leaving the house is actually a step up.

11. Neil Shepherd
    WTF?

While He's About

Totally off topic but would someone mind giving him a call and asking what the f*ck happened to Scrapheap Challenge?

12. The old man from scene 24

I can still read the first 5 digits

So, quite a good replica of Google blurring technology.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Space Corps Directive 10853

Only says don't photo your mobile number when wearing a ginger toupee, doesn't it?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

Perhaps somebody needs to remind him of Space Core Directive 34124.

1. Stone Fox
      Thumb Up

Space Core Directive 34124

No spacecorp operative with false teeth should attempt oral sex in zero gravity?

I fail to see how that's relevant to our current situation sir!

2. Adrian Jackson
      Alert

Re: Hmm

Space Corps Directive 34124? "No serving officer shall multitask, install software from outside the Apple store, use hidden APIs or implement a scripting language."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

RE Hmm

Obvious fail there as the iPhone *does* multitask!

Otherwise, quite humorous - 5/10 for effort!

3. James Melody

Smeg

Space Corps Directive 34124 - "Double helping of pudding on sundays for all officers"

I fail to see how this is relevent?

1. ThaRobster
        Grenade

@Adrian Jackson and James Melody:

I have no idea who you both are, but wilfully inventing Space Corps Directives to make yourselves look clever is an act of war. Ergo we surrender. And as prisoners of war I invoke the All Nations Agreement article number 39436175880932/B.

15. frank ly
    Thumb Up

True to typecast.

What an incredibly clean and tidy desk area. He even has a plastic cover for his printer (?) ! Then again, I suppose this should be expected from Kryten :)

1. Dr Richard

It looks more like an Apple store ..

complete with the latest iMac, "magic' mouse and perspex price block.

16. TimNevins

Ketchup?

"You want ketchup?"...

Followed by the image of a head exploding.

Bet that's how he feels.

Mr.Flibble will not be pleased.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Putting the Information into IT

It would have been nice to have some more details in this article.

Did he get any calls? How did he 'sort' the problem - was he able to change the SIM and if so what was the charge, or did he have to replace the entire phone? If so, did the Apple Store gush over yet another celebrity visitor and do it for free?

If it was a normal phone, you'd just change the SIM (free for a PAYG, not sure about contract), but being the iesuPhone™ (or iPhone as it's sometimes known, for short), and on such a barmy O2 contract, I wonder what happens if you need to change numbers and you aren't famous. And, whether it's all free if you are, as it usually is with St Jobs and his iCardinals.

18. Morphius
    Thumb Up

Do you think he actually said....

"Oh, spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska."

19. Dayjo
    Thumb Up

Haha

What a smeg! Incidentally Car Pool is often entertaining.

20. StooMonster
    Coat

New phone?

El Reg: "new iPhone 3G"

The photo clearly shows a new iPhone 3GS, i.e. a third generation Jesus Phone, not a second generation one.

Personally I am hanging on for 4th-generation iPhone in June before I upgrade.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We got you a gift, it's a C, for Kryten

"But Kryten is spelt with a K!" *sobs*

(This has nothing to do with the article. )

22. Tom_

but...

Isn't that just the default/temporary number that you replace with your own during setup?

1. Paul 4

Only if

you are porting your number, which will still take a few days for some networks.

2. Foxhill

depends

Which one? The mobile number or the home landline number?

23. Sean Bailey

@Neil Shepherd

Screw Scrapheap Challenge, where's the missing series of the dwarf

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: *Neil Shepherd

There isn't one, is there? It's ENDED!

1. TORDFC

Red Dwarf

No, it hasn't ended. There were 3 new episodes aired on Dave last Easter and since then they have commissioned new scripts for a series.

24. Paul RND*1000
    FAIL

Let it be a warning to others

This is the sort of thing that can happen when you're in a rush to post the latest minute details of your life on the interwebtubes.

25. Steve Evans

There are two reasons you should not do that...

1) You'll get phone calls from weird fans

2) You'll get phone calls from weird fans.

I thought it was such an important point it deserved mentioning twice.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Harsh

You lot are a bit harsh :) It's a simple mistake. Have you all forgotten how funny Kryten really was?

27. Captain Save-a-ho
    Jobs Horns

Most intimate digits?

All I see on here is a box and some paper? To say the least, I'm relieved that this isn't NSFW.

And no one wants a PlayMobil recreation either.

And iHate.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He was just the robot

I had to google him to work out who he was. Well, whoops, I am sure he can get a new number.

29. mattmartin

@Smallbrainfield

We'll - you'd expect a whole lot of apple, as that picture was clearly taken in the store itself.

30. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Red alert time, Sir

Shall I change the bulb?

31. Corax

Meh

I liked Red Dwarf too, but I'm not sure why that makes any difference to what, if anything, I think of Robert Llewellyn. He's an actor, and he was playing a role.

That doesn't mean he's incapable of making a perfectly human mistake, or that it's particularly newsworthy when he does.

(It also doesn't mean, incidentally, that he's to blame that the introduction of Kryten as a regular character was the point at which Red Dwarf jumped the shark. It was all downhill from there.)

1. NogginTheNog

Don't be daft!

The arrival of Kryten, the changing of the team dynamic with the extra character, and the way they all started to gel as performers, heralded the golden age of RD (Series 3 to 6 of course).

32. Mike Gravgaard

Phone him...

I would phone him and tell him he's plastered his number already over the internet in his photo and await his reaction staggering but I'm sure he's already aware of this.

I've watched his shows on Llewdtube a few times and quite impressed with the concept but I think scrapheap challenge was so much better but some of it on Llewdtube is interesting.

This and the Prius issue have possibly sent him over the edge...

Mike

33. adam payne
    Joke

Fun fun fun in the sun sun sun

Can't really blame him for making such a mistake they did use him as a battering ram. After that there must have been a few screws lose.

34. pctechxp

Damage limitation

All he needs to do is request a PAC for his old number from the network he leaving (if he is)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like