back to article Can Sun's GlassFish turn on master Oracle?

In Hand of Orlac, a plastic surgeon replaces the crushed hands of a pianist with those of an executed murder. What at first is a godsend for the ruined musician may in truth be an agent of its former owner's insidious will, compelling its inheritor to murder his own father. We wonder if that works for corporations. Will the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mick 6
    Gates Horns

Both good products - so I'll stick with Glassfish, thanks

I really hope Oracle doesn't screw up Glassfish - it's so much faster than Tomcat and so much easier to use in many ways. And JBoss is just a massive mess as far as my experience goes.

I've had quite good experiences with both WebLogic and Glassfish, but the developer restrictions on WebLogic (5 unique IPs) is a right pain in the butt when it comes to testing, so for most things I use Glassfish.

I hope they don't screw up MySQL too, while we're on the subject. I don't have much faith...

2. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge

Glassfish

We've been to a few Sun/Java events recently and they are, or were at least, pushing Glassfish very heavily. The core webserver uses NIO and is very fast and lightweight, plus the management interface looks fantastic.

We looked at it as a replacement for Tomcat - but although getting it up and running was relatively easy, getting it configured to do what we want was way, way more complex than we wanted.

I'm not sure about enterprise level features, but if they want to make inroads into the huge market that needs JSPs, DB pooling and not much else, they're going to have to make packaging and installation on Linux more Linuxy, and make doing the simple things much simpler. Definitely a Sun product...

3. ScottME

The competitor is JBoss

The primary motivation behind IBM's WAS CE is to have something that's equivalent to (and they would argue superior to) JBoss. When existing or potential WAS customers mention JBoss as a possible alternative, IBM will introduce WAS CE as having the same characteristics: open source, no per-server license fee, but with the option of first-rate (paid-for) maintenance.

It seems pretty inevitable that as the basic JEE server function becomes a commodity, the main market for WAS and WebLogic will be as the platform for stack products, like portal servers, process engines, etc.

4. eduardo pelegri-llopart

Some users of GlassFish

A selection of GlassFish users is available at:

* http://www.sun.com/customers/index.xml?p=4c48f4be-63d5-11d7-86c3-a535ae246eeb

and

* http://blogs.sun.com/stories/

5. DarkStranger
    Thumb Up

Budding Ecosystem for Glassfish...

I have used Glassfish internally now for over a year now I view it as a very good application server. I like it so much that I am using it along with the Netbeans Platform to build a commercial product.

I hope that Oracle doesn't kill or dilute it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like