back to article 5000 desktops and a virtualisation project

If you’ve got ‘Virtualise Desktops’ on your to-do list for 2010, you might want to hold your horses a minute, because we’ve got something that might make that project a little more pleasant. On 18 Feb at 11am GMT we’ve got the project leads from a 5,000 strong desktop virtualisation project joining us in our studio. They come …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. metrodon

Shame it's the same day as a major Sun VDI event

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

2. LawLessLessLaw
    Boffin

5000!

My friend's at Sandia fire up 1,000,000 at a time !

http://www.sandia.gov/news/resources/news_releases/sandia-computer-scientists-successfully-boot-one-million-linux-kernels-as-virtual-machines/

1. Keith Oldham
      Linux

Re : 5000!

Just remind me - how much would Windows licenses cost for this experiment - GNP of a small state & then there's registering them.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Virtual desktops

I worked for a company that did this for all their worldwide satellite offices. They even used full-on PCs for the viewers.

Slight problem with the VPN and nobody did any work, anywhere, in the world for a week :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

oh?

I guess they made everything except for the VPN redundant? I guess they wanted to save $30k

4. devtty

I want to see the thing in plain text

This sort of video recording of a conference is kind of slow, and make otherwise fantastic topic boring - a bunch of experts kidding around with usual greeting would waste a good deal of time.

I would rather read the transcripts in plain text

5. McVirtual
    Alien

Fud me thinks

I'm pretty sure this is the Hyper-V deployment that Microsoft actually gave away to the client, and paid for the consultancy to support the deployment, and also paid 30k for the media hype around it... Oh and did I mention it isn't anywhere near complete or fully functional.

Not that I'm against this in any way shape or form, I like variety, what I do not like is the big MS marketing wallet coming down and forcing clients in to a pricing argument versus what they actually need to deliver a successful project.

My $0.02

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

ElReg and the art of Bullshit

"Tony Lock from Freeform Dynamics and Neil Sanderson from Microsoft. "

Thank you. Headline should be "Yet another Microsoft advertisement!"

Hyper-V is as efficient as Terminal Server was in 1990, supporting even 5 simultaneous users/"virtual desktops" on one PC, so they are using 1000 PCs for this? Who pays the licenses?

Standard PC on Linux could support 100 users without any virtualisation and you'd need only 50 of those to do same job. 5 to 10 if you buy real hardware and just one if you use a mainframe.

(True and tried thing, 2000 virtual machines and a couple of users in each, on IBM's mainframe, about 2005 or so. No sweat at all for server.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like