back to article Arab conned into marrying bearded lady

A Dubai man whose fiancée kept her charms hidden under a niqab opted for a quick divorce after his first glimpse beneath the veil revealed she was cross-eyed and sported a beard. According to Gulf News, the unnamed "ambassador" never saw his intended's face on the few times they met, but was convinced all was well since the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 18
    FAIL

2 horrifying terms

First of all "Moral Damages", suing someone else for you breaking your morals is retarded

Secondly "hormonal deficiencies", what the hell!?! that sounds like "not horny enough"... hmn actually I think I might refer some of my exes for that.

2. Puck
    Pint

Free pint to anyone who can...

...explain "moral damage".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

moral damage

any religion any time any place=moral damage

2. gsej

It just goes to show..

Moral damage = damage to feelings or reputation.

All in all, this sad case just shows that it's still worth heeding that old wiltshire saying:

"always look at a woman's face before you marry her, if you are the sort of person who might get upset when she later turns out to be less attractive than you were led to believe."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

En Francais

No wonder they want the niqab banned in France. Armpit hair is bad enough...

I'm curious. My local bank requests motorcyclists remove their helmets, yet there is no sign requiring the niqab or even balaclavas be removed...

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Joke

Non?

Probably because anyone wearing a balaclava in a bank is probably also carrying a shotgun and demanding to make a withdrawal. There not the sort of people you ask to remove there facial gear!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Grenade

Re: Non?

Reminds me a hotel I once stayed in somewhere in Africa, probably Uganda. It was apparently against hotel regulations to keep automatic weapons, explosives, poisons, or nuclear material in their rooms. I never could quite imagine what type of person would wonder around with such items yet feel obliged to honor such terms.

1. Rodrigo Rollan
          WTF?

Not as puzzling...

has anyone read the form you have to fill to enter the US (form I-94W). I quiote:

C. Have you ever been or are you now involved in espionage or sabotage; or in terrorist activities; or genocide; or between 1933 and 1945 were involved, in any way, in persecutions associated with Nazi Germany or its allies?

Ahhhmmm: Yes ? Who would acknowledge this in a freaking form !

In sudafrica, firearms are quite common amongst the population. Some nightclubs have gun lockers !

1. Anonymous Coward
            Badgers

@Rodrigo

"Have you ever been or are you now involved in espionage or sabotage; or in terrorist activities; or genocide; or between 1933 and 1945 were involved, in any way, in persecutions associated with Nazi Germany or its allies?"

I would think that you'd be expect to lie. Then when they do find out, there is a good reason to deport you. If you answer correctly - and they miss it - well you are in a good place deportation wise.

2. Cookie Monster
            Alert

It's an easy way to cancel your visa

If you lie on your visa forms they can cancel your visa very easily. They can even revoke a green card and American citizenship obtained through naturalisation if you lied about such things

3. JohnG

"Have you ever been or are you now involved in...."

'C. Have you ever been or are you now involved in espionage or sabotage; or in terrorist activities; or genocide; or between 1933 and 1945 were involved, in any way, in persecutions associated with Nazi Germany or its allies?

Ahhhmmm: Yes ? Who would acknowledge this in a freaking form'

It is a legal issue. If the people concerned are honest (very unlikely), they will probably be denied entry to the USA. If the people concerned lie (as one would expect), they will have committed an offence when they submitted the form. This offence allows them to be deported with minimal proof of involvement, whereas proceedings for more specific crimes might be more complicated and the outcome is less clear because their level of involvement may be relevant.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I say old chap..

Reminds me of the signs at security in a UK nuclear power station I used to visit, it asks you to hand over any bladed weapons or firearms before entering the site.

Honourable bunch those terrorists.

3. Roby

Re: Re: Non?

Or how about simply the questions they ask when you check in at an airport...

"did you pack this bag yourself?"

"are there any dangerous materials in your bag?"

"could anyone have put something in your bag without your knowledge?"

2. Gold Soundz

Niqab

I needed to go to the job centre today. A muslim couple walked in, woman in full niqab (post box style, just eyes showing), the husband wearing a hoody. The security staff asked him to remove his hood; the woman was not challenged and allowed to keep hers on. So, if you want to put a hit on the Job Centre, you know what to wear.

1. Ilya
        Grenade

Just wait.

Oh, no worries, mate, it is bound to happen.

All that it takes is a cartoon.

4. Eddy Ito

I understand

You put a fresh blade in the razor one day only to find it dull after you get up the next morning.

5. Duncan Robertson 1
    Coat

Redeeming features

Must have had beautiful eyes...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

even more untitled...

....or a lovely personality!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Two beautiful...

crossed eyes at that!!

6. JK
    Grenade

Re: En Francais

To be sure though, you should try walking into the bank wearing a balaclava or niqab O:)

1. JohnG

Robbers

"...you should try walking into the bank wearing a balaclava or niqab..."

I think some guys in Paris have done exactly that a couple of days ago. One of them produced a handgun and they escaped with 4500 Euros.

Then there was a robbery at a jewellers in the UK a while back, where a robber wore a burka.

2. Peter Kay

Wear both, just to be sure.

What could possibly go wrong?

3. stizzleswick
      FAIL

Back in the 1980s...

...a schoolmate of mine (a violinist, no less) actually did go into a savings bank with a violin case. It did not contain a violin... just some cash he wanted to put into his account. No Balaclava, no sunglasses, nothing. Just a trench coat and a violin case.

They hit the alarm button before he was even half-way to the counters.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

Obvious really.

They mistook it for a Viola case and thought he might be about to take it out and play it.

7. lglethal Silver badge
    FAIL

Caveat Emptor perhaps?

In a religion where you cant "try before you buy" surely Caveat Emptor counts for a great deal? He bought it how he saw it, and as we've all been caught out before - things just dont always work out how you hope when you buy without inspecting the goods first! Tough luck, deal with it sunshine...

One question though, he wasnt allowed to look at her face before the marriage but he was shown a photograph? Am i the only one that sees that as absolutely ridiculous. If your not allowed to see the girls face, surely you shouldnt be allowed to see a photo. Alternatively, if your allowed a picture, then why not the real deal... What a ridiculous piece of religious nonsense...

1. The Indomitable Gall

He didn't see her photo...

...his mum did! It says it in the article, in black and white (unless you've been playing silly beggars with custom style sheets in your browser again).

It's men that shouldn't see a woman's face, and his mum is quite likely not to be a man, so it's no problem at all for her to see the potential daughter-in-law's face. Really she should have insisted on meeting her in person, so maybe he should be suing his mother for neglect of parental duty too....

If you're going to be derisory about other people's cultures, get your facts straight first!

2. Yannick
      Thumb Down

RTFA, his MUM saw a picture of her sister

Not quite the same as he seeing a photo of his future bride.

I can't help but feeling sad for the poor girl. And it's not like her parents are gonna pull a similar sting anytime soon, with such publicity on El Reg and elsewhere.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Strictly speaking

Creating pictures of animate objects is forbidden in Islam so it should have served as a warning to the man's family that their future in-laws were prepared to break this rule. However, there is the loophole used by some that as photographs are not created by one's own hands but are made by a camera then it's OK. I rather think this loophole wouldn't pass muster seeing as the events apparently occurred in Dubai so public floggings all round.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Re: RTFA, his MUM saw a picture of her sister

Maybe El Reg isn't the best publicity for a hairy woman, but it may be a stepping stone to Slashdot (surely any woman is a step up...) or a South African Athletics scholarship.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: RTFA, his MUM saw a picture of her sister

What? You think eligible suitors will be browsing El Reg for consumer advice?

3. lglethal Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Reading other websites

Reading other websites it does actually say HE saw the pictures...

From the BBC "The envoy, who has not been identified, told a Sharia court her mother had tricked him by showing him pictures of the bride's sister, Gulf News reported."

So either El Reg or the BBC and Gulf news are wrong... I'm willing to place my bets on the BBC (being wrong) but the facts are not clear cut...

So i stand by my statement!

8. Andy 6
    Pint

could be worse. . . . anal beard ?

beer + turn the lights off + poke yourself in the eyes a few times so your vision goes blury. . . .and all would be fine

1. Jolyon
      Paris Hilton

Beer?

I am not an expert (in religions; I'm very good at beer) but I think booze would not be allowed.

Paris because she too revealed her hair to a man who subsequently treated her like sh­it.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice to see...

...that in some parts of the world they have managed to cut out all that romance nonsense although they've still got a way to go to get rid of the present giving.

10. Captain TickTock
    Joke

Surely the headline should be...

Woman conned into wearing Niqab.

Hang on, not news in some parts of the world...

11. Neil Stansbury

Poor gal

I just can't help feeling rather sorry for the bearded lady.

She's got married (perhaps in good - albeit naive faith), got divorced and been told by the court she's a munter.

I'm sure her self image is on top form right now.

1. Anonymous John

Masked title.

She already knew she was a munter. Hence the deception with the photo.

2. Cameron Colley

There's worse than that...

She lives in a society where women are traded as goods and can be returned as defective -- but if the guy's not as advertised then tough shit. At least, now it''s known that she's not that attractive looking, she's less likely to be stoned for being sexually assaulted.

12. BossHog

Brraaaanndddyyy!

Caroline of Brunswick.

13. Tom 7

@The Indomitable Gall

"Really she should have insisted on meeting her in person, so maybe he should be suing his mother for neglect of parental duty too"

But how could HE have KNOW on the day who was under the niqab until he peeled it back?

If you're going to be derisory about other people's comments think about it first.

14. Rikkeh
    Go

Moral Damage

Moral damage in this case is likely equivalent to what we would call damage for pain and suffering over in the UK, or "emotional distress" in the US.

It comes from the French, where the word for "mental" in certain circumstances is the same as the word for "moral". What is sometimes translated from French cases as "moral damage" is actually damages awarded for emotional distress. It seems to be the same here.

How do I claim my pint?

15. paulf
    Joke

Life imitates Chris Morris

I had to look up this El Reg story again and watch the trailer:

"Chris Morris jihad film good to go - Four Lions trailer live"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/22/morris_film_trailer/

"So why's she got her hands on her face?"

"Because she's got a beard..."

PS - I especially like the way the story tags allow me to read more about Beards! See the David Bellamy special feature analysis comment.

# Marriage

# Dubai

# Beard

16. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Sheik shaken, suddenly sues in hijab hidden hair horror

Yep, that's mine.

17. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

Should of...

Should of taken 'her' on a pre-marriage holiday to sunny London, arriving at Heathrow so he could of had a butchers at 'her' bits on the perv-scanner!

1. Captain TickTock
      IT Angle

Heathrow perv-scanner...

so _that's_ the IT angle!

18. Neil 7
    Flame

"Quickie divorce"

So the bloke can get a quickie divorce when he makes a mistake, yet a 12 year old Saudi girl forced to marry an 80 year old cousin has to plead for a divorce? Smashing legal system that is. They should have made the bloke sweat a bit longer. And should lock up the parents of the 12 year old.

1. Bill Fresher

Twelve

So this was a 12 year old girl with a beard? and they didn't find any hormonal problems? Something smells fishy.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Thumb Down

Fair?

It's a Sharia court. You know, those places that perform destructive testing on justice.

19. Fatman
    WTF?

Caveat Emptor!

Somehow, I am reminded of a Country song; part of the lyrics are:

"I go to bed at 2 with a '10', and wake up at 10 with a '2' ", or something like it.

I have to feel sorry for that dude. The masquerading schmuck is lucky he did not get "hung by the balls" when the 'jig was up'.

20. William Boyle
    Alert

Pig in a poke?

That old saw definitely comes to mind here! Along with Caveat Emptor...

21. Wind Farmer

Buying a pig in a poke?

Except it would need to be some other animal, presumably, as the gent would have no interest in that either, unless he'd been assured it was a goat.

22. The Mysterious Panda

So Hir not Suite you, Sir?

Couldn't she file (hir)suite against her would-be (hir)suitor? I'm sure she had spent money on him as well, maybe by buying him some nice clothes - surely she should be able to claim money back for her suit (that she bought him). After all, she couldn' really wear it herself as it may not (hir)suite her. Maybe she could become the poster-child for the campaign - she could inspire thousands to follow (hir) suite.

If she cut herself shaving, would she self-apply her sutre?

I suppose I should apologise - making fun of hairy wimmin is hardly (hir)suitable behaviour.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Confused?

Ah, I see, You mean a Facial Beard!

24. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Paris Hilton

Even pictures don't tell us the full story

<- what does Paris actually look like, eh? Would you wake up the next mornning and shudder?

25. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Virgins

..are not guaranteed to be without a beard. Read the Holy Book Of The Great Prophet ! That with all those references to chopping off heads, fingers and so on.

26. Stewart Haywood

Maybe.....

Maybe as he was rather inexperienced in these matters and she was head to toe in black, he just got her upside down.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

The Friday night Niqab

Would seem to have the same effect on your sex life as getting blind drunk on a Friday night, although obviously without the drink, the hangover (arguable in this case) or the restorative next day fry up.

Unfortunate for women that they'll have to stick to the booze/hangover/fry up route to make poor decisions they can disclaim responsibility for the next day.

28. Maryland, USA
    Heart

In Jewish tradition, the groom lifts the bride's veil...

...ever since Laban pulled a switcheroo on Jacob, substituting older-sister Leah for her sister Rachel.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

my oh my

You people just don't let things go, do you?

No, but seriously, I like Judaism. They keep it to themselves.

This topic is closed for new posts.