back to article Vodafone Twitterer takes aim at some beaver

Vodafone had a burst of Friday-afternoon fever with a tweet informing the world that its weekend plans involved purely heterosexual attractions. The tweet in question was sent just before four this afternoon, and was followed by a rush of apologies that are still swamping the VodafoneUK twitter channel. The offending tweet has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom_
    Alert

Wait...

People follow Vodafone? No wonder people think twitter's rubbish if that's how they use it. :)

2. Jonathan Hogg
    FAIL

Should definitely be fired in my opinion

Just look at that errant apostrophe!

Standards of literacy today...

1. Richard IV
      Headmaster

And how's it errant?

Apostrophes can also be used to indicate skipped letters and/or contractions.

Don'[o]t get me started on the general habits of these ne'[v]er-do-wells. E'[v]en nigh on half past 2 o'[f the] clock I knew that homo'[sexual]s could well be valid.

2. Number6

Is it Errant?

Given that you can use an apostrophe to replace letters as well as indicate the possessive, "homo's" could be a short form of "homosexuals". Twitter does encourage brevity after all.

It was interesting seeing the Vodafone feed after the vent when customer service caught up, identical messages twittered @world, presumably to everyone who complained. I suspect they were trying to fill the feed with apologies and make it hard to find the original text.

3. Duckorange
    FAIL

I take there will be similar fury...

...at the dreadful Keith Chegwin gag underneath as well.

4. Marvin the Martian
    Stop

Greengrocer's apostro'phes'

Should they apologise for their spelling or for the contents, or both separately?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Security finaly a priority

It's a sign of our times that you would rather admit to having homophobic staff over being hacked.

6. Suburban Inmate
    Headmaster

E-minus! Pathetic effort.

If you're gonna make it a last day bombshell, as speculated, and live to the whole world (those that give a monkey's about the hour-to-hour babblings of a corporate entity, at least) then make a bloody effort!

Dont even get Me start'd on the twitters' lack of Capitalisation and abuse of apostrophy's!

7. b166er

Erm

or her

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ban corporate companies from using Twitter

Companies like Vodafone should be banned from using twitter and the likes of services like youtube. Have you noticed these web services are all great -initially- but once the stupid corporates all jump on the bandwagon and "add their corp presence" they completely ruin them.

So, sombeodys "job" at Vodafone is to monitor a twitter account? How utterly sad and shows how low they go just to mooch with people. Perhaps if they answered their PHONES in the first place this trash wouldn't be necessary.

1. Andy 97
      Thumb Up

Icon request

Please can we have a Nelson [The Simpsons] doing a "Ha ha" icon

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Not only, but also.

And while you're at it give us an icon with really gratuitous rolling eyes :D

9. JC 2
    Coat

ok, BUT

... did Vodafone get any beaver?

I hate stories that don't have any meat to them.

I'll get my coat.

10. Misoriented
    Unhappy

Meanwhile, back at the ranch

Still no apology for the existence of Twitter itself.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Joke

Why apologise?

Twitter serves a highly valuable purpose.

Imagine teh intawebs as your large country mansion in the Cotswolds, set in several acres landscaped by Capability Brown. Now imagine what said dwelling would be like were it to lack a Septic Tank....

11. Bilgepipe
    FAIL

I spy....

...with my little eye, someone who thought he was logged into Twitter as himself.

12. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: And how's it errant?

No no NO. Plurals do not take apostrophes even after abbreviations. NO.

Hello, Monday, gosh, you look like shit.

13. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Is it Errant?

Well, that's balls - 'homos' is literally shorter than 'homo's', isn't it? So for Twitter purposes it would have been better to actually, er, get it right. Or alternatively, go and jump off something and not clog up the internet with more offensive crap.

Sigh.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Saving to aid wealth

I think the discussions are missing the important point here: what does "preserved for prosperity" actually mean? Does it offer better returns than saving something for posterity?

15. Graham Bartlett
    Joke

@TeeCee

To be fair, it was the Septic Tanks who created teh intawebs...

16. CatNinja
    Joke

Of couse they may have been...

...refering to homosapiens and had decided to go wildlife spotting instead.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Its clearly been misunderstood by you lot...

Guys, there has been a massive misunderstanding with this.

The original message mentions "homo's" and "beaver" - this means the chap is bored of homo sapiens and is looking for some animal sex with a river beaver (we recently re-introduced these into the wild up north in Bonnie Scotland you may recall). Wild Beavers are known for their cleanliness especially, and home sapiens are not know for the same, thus the reference to "dirty".

However ... this revelation about 'beaver sex' is obviously now at a whole different level to the accusations of gay-bashing which is far more accepted in society.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like