back to article Open-source Silverlight project drops early third code

The open-source project shadowing Silverlight has come a step closer to mirroring the latest edition of Microsoft's challenger to Flash. Moonlight leader Miguel de Icaza said a preview of Moonlight 3.0 has been delivered for early testing. Features include early work on UI virtualization to handle large sets of data, and a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hrm?

Is is just me, or is "closed" MS playing at being more "open" than "'open' but really closed" Google these days?

It's not MS who have adopted patent encumbered video formats the FOSS world can't touch, or tried to merge in incompatible kernel code.

What the hell are they putting in the water over there?

2. Nipsirc
    WTF?

Covenant?

Erm, I'm not a legal bod - doesn't this sentence make the covenant not worth the pixels it's projected upon?:

"Microsoft reserves the right to update (including discontinue) the foregoing covenant"

So at any point in the future they can remove the covenant and sue the pants off you? Or have I got it wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not Retrospective

Changes or discontinuity can't apply retrospectively. They can make a Silverlight v5 and change the rules for that. They can even withdraw the covenant and prevent future new distributions but they can't retrospectively change the agreement and sue anybody who is distributing stuff created under the old version of it. They need to be able to change the agreement to do things like including third party distributions, or I guess, to comply with the terms of the next law suit against them.

Practically they want Silverlight as widely used as possible because its the only chance they have of competing with Flash. This gets distribution to Linux without them having to 'dirty their hands' doing actual Linux development. (They can't bee seen to support it directly. There is a version for OSX but I guess they don't consider that to be much competition.) They expect get profit here from selling Visual Studio and Office Online more widely.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

...but...

Everything MS develops is shit.

Why would anyone want to make an Open Source version?

Can someone please point me at a resource that uses Silverlight? I'm dying to find out what benefits it can possibly bring (other than a few new security games that, sooner or later, I'll be forced to play)

1. dave 158
      Unhappy

@ ...but...

Sky Player - for one ........

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ryanair

Their route-map is is silverlight.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Great stuff

Maybe we can ditch Flash and run Moonlight for RIA purposes. Note: NOT silverlight :)

5. Robert Ramsay

I expect...

...that this friendly attitude from Microsoft will magically vanish once they think Silverlight has become sufficiently established. At the moment, of course, it's still at the stage of "Silver-what?"

6. Bob 18

Keep it Simple

Why doesn't MS just develop its own open-source Silverlight for Linux and Mac? Somehow, relying on a gentleman's agreement between MS and Novell for your access to this technology seems risky. Or heck, why doesn't MS just develop its own closed-source Silverlight for all the common platforms, the way Adobe does with Flash?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A good question...

I too don't understand why MS don't port their own code to Linux like Abode have done. The only reason I can think is that someone somewhere inside MS thinks that by doing that it somehow legitimises the "cancer" called Linux which Bill Gates declared a jihad against.

2. Victor 2
      FAIL

wot?

You do know it's Microsoft we are talking about here, don't you?

It's in their best interest to keep Linux and any other non-Windows platform crippled and behind the official version... On the desktop side, Windows is already dominant, they don't need other platforms to work.

7. rollseyes

Silverlight >> Flash

Silverlight is not to have dancing monkeys on the screen but for RIAs... And damned good at it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like