back to article Apple's mega Mac on hold (again)

Apple has stopped production of its multi-troubled 27-inch iMac. Or so say unnamed sources speaking to MacBidouille/HardMac. According to those sources, production of both the Core i5 and Core i7 models has been shut down entirely. The Core 2 Duo versions of Apple's top-of-the-line all-in-one were not mentioned. Seeing as how …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gold Soundz

I have the 27" 3.06ghz dual core

It's my second, as the first one had the flickering screen. I received some of the best customer service I've ever encountered when contacting Apple for a replacement. They admitted fault immediately, told me there was a problem with the hardware and I took it back to the store to be given a new replacement within five minutes of arriving, complete with gushing apology. Better still I only brought back the machine, not the accessories, so I gained an extra magic mouse and wireless keyboard in the process.

This one has been absolutely perfect since I got it a month ago and I love it to pieces. I wonder just how bad this problem really is - after all, those without a problem don't shout about it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Jobs Halo

I also have a 27" 3.06ghz dual core...

...and it has been working perfectly (touch wood) for two months now.

2. ThomH

Has to be pretty bad?

You'd imagine it's got to be pretty bad if they actually have temporarily shut down production. I'm typing this on one of the original 2006 MacBook Pros that got a lot of bad press for being weirdly noisy, and though I've had no problems all I remember was Apple publicly denying the problem while quietly admitting to it on a warranty-by-warranty basis.

3. Terry Barnes

How bad is it?

If they've stopped a production line knocking out profitable kit - the answer to your last question has got to be somewhere inthe order of "pretty".

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree

When I had an issue with my then top of the range iMac over dead pixels the Apple reps were very helpful.

I had it replaced three times in the space of one month because i wasnt happy with dead pixels.

Mind you I did see a total own goal in one of the Apple stores, they lost themselves a potential customer, all down to one rep not getting basic customer service and politeness.

5. Waffles666

Apple

"I received some of the best customer service I've ever encountered when contacting Apple for a replacement. They admitted fault immediately" pity they can't fess up like that to the media when they mess something up i'm sure i'm not the only one here getting tired of apples "head in the sand" approach to problems

2. Ammaross Danan
    Boffin

Well

Apple makes some very pretty stuff. I, however, would never buy an all-in-one setup, even if it did have a 27" display. Can you imagine shipping your last year's worth of personal info and data off to Apple just to have them repair the screen? And if the screen was dodgy and they replace the whole unit, you better hope they mirrored the drive properly, and that the new drive isn't dodgy either.... Yes, you could make backups of the data (as you should be doing anyway), but it's still a pain not to even have the computer for the week(s) it takes to repair it, when you could have simply plugged in that old 19" LCD that your new machine's LCD replaced.... I just smell a design fail here. Not in usablility, but in the event something goes wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Simple solution...

Buy two!

/Joke alert because sometimes the obvious is just too obvious

2. Gold Soundz

Data

You'd ship a computer off to *any* company with a years worth of data on it? Personally I have a time machine image and I totally wiped the Mac before I took it back! No company acting on a warranty is going to be responsible for data loss, even in an enterprise environment (I'm a network sys admin)

My entire backup was restored in 40 mins once I got the new one home - no big deal.

3. Rod MacLean

Hmmm

If you buy a brand new computer and it stops working in the first week or so then you're not going to have much data on it. Unless of course you've got data to move over from a previous computer - in which case, you'll still have the DVDs/external HDs that you used to put it there in the first place...

I've got an iMac and use external drives for all important information (something which I've done since I had an Amiga in the early 90s)

4. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

On our planet...

"Can you imagine shipping your last year's worth of personal info and data off to Apple just to have them repair the screen?"

...we have a thing called backups. Just use Carbon Copy Cloner (free), and hell, wipe the hard drive in the machine you're sending off, if you're concerned with other people getting free copies of all your donkey pr0n.

A lot of people buy "all in one" computers, called "laptops", and they manage by not being retards, and backing their data up sometimes. Well, the smart ones do, anyway.

3. Cookie Monster
    Jobs Horns

Where the famous Jobbesian reliability?

Don't the fanboys always rave about how great the build quality and reliability of their overpriced vanity pieces are?

Maybe they need the help of St IGNUcius rather paying their several thousand pieces of silver to the Jobbesian cult.

1. Ted Treen
      Coat

I believe

you are Steve Ballmer, and I claim my prize....

Mine's the one on the hat-stand that's just been thrown out of the window

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Nah...

That's blatantly Stallman.

4. -tim
    FAIL

Work in progress?

Its not just Apple that get headaches from this machine. I have one at work and I can only use the thing about 2 hours before a headache forces me to do something else. I haven't had a computer do that since the days of hooking them up to the tv.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

TV

I first started getting headaches on some Dec monitors but it turned out to be the vertical scan rate which was doing it. TVs as monitors have always been fine, as have Macs. Certain screenmodes on my old PC were a bit dodgy but since Winblows gave me a headache anyway, it's now long gone ;)

5. jai

really?

mine shipped on Saturday - so did they shut down production yesterday?

6. DEAD4EVER
    WTF?

27 inch imac

well its not often i post a comment about a apple product been faulty but here it goes im very suprised at apple for this imac causing so many issues i think there falling alseep a little usally apple always delivers great products without issues well as far as im aware. does it still make apple a rubbish company no it doesnt i mean for starters apple doesnt quite act like windows whenapple release a os they dont charge an arm and a leg like windows and have multiple oses charging different prices having different options i mean jeese i quite fancy having a apple but its the price that scares me hehe

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Oompff..!

Somewhere in there, a comma and a full stop are trying desperately to show themselves..

One set of headach pills please..

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

No surprise there then...

...Just usual 'i' Crap!

8. rjb

Seems to make sense

Makes sense. The 27" ships in 3 weeks while the 21.5 is 24 hours according to the Online Apple Store as at Mon 8th Feb 2010... An associate of mine has recently purchased one and it keeps shutting off without warning and without shutting down.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like