back to article Exploding ciggie blows out Indonesian bloke's teeth

A Indonesian man has accepted 5m rupiah (£335) compensation after an exploding cigarette took out six of his teeth, the BBC reports. Andi Susanto, 31, explained to the Jakarta Post that the Clas Mild ciggie detonated while he was riding his motorbike - evidently a bit of a shock since he'd "been smoking since he was a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They taste mank

My driver pulled over for a rest stop in a small village, I got out to smoke a cig and he insisted on supplying me with a manufactured (I roll), I couldn't refuse his generosity. They aren't the smoothest of smokes for sure, I did smoke it rather quickly as well as the whole village had stopped and was staring at me, not being one for limelight I wanted to duck out of sight quickly.

2. S Larti
    WTF?

Is that why

my dental hygienist always tells me that smoking is bad for your teeth?

3. Lionel Baden

matches ?

i remember sticking match ends in people fags an watching with glee as they went off

somebody took the joke a little far i guess

4. Elmer Phud
    Happy

Funny cigarettes

Hmm, had ciggies that have blown my head off but never any that knock my teeth out.

5. Niall 1

No strange materials in the cigarettes

that must make them unique among coffin nails

6. John F***ing Stepp

Used to be able to get something called a Cigarette load.

Little splinter of wood about 1/4 inch long.

Small amount of explosive on the surface.

Could damage your face; if someone figured out that you had slipped one in his fag.

(not being British and all that last line was really uncomfortable.)

1. It'sa Mea... Mario
      Thumb Up

British or not..

..that line was executed perfectly!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

I have heard...

....that manufactured cigarettes include extras to make them burn more evenly including saltpetre. If that got lumpy, it would explain the explosion.

I have no idea of the veracity of my information as it was passed on to me by a handrolling posh girl justifiying her inelegant behaviour.

Essentailly, it seems, hand rolling is healthier, in the same vein that organic vegetables are healthier - no chemicals, man (yeah, right to both, for different reasons)

Yes, I have never smoked

Grenade, so obvious, but no one else seems to have used it, for some reason

1. Stevie

Bah!

"....that manufactured cigarettes include extras to make them burn more evenly including saltpetre. If that got lumpy, it would explain the explosion."

No it wouldn't, unless there were significant amounts of soot and sulphur in there too.

What are they teaching in schools these days FFS?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Bah!

I think the KNO3 hypothesis could be right, you know. It's an oxidiser, and all you need is something for it to oxidise (e.g. fine tobacco- it wouldn't have to be carbon/sulphur) and it will go up quite fast. I agree with subsequent poster though that it would have to be confined for the rapid deflagration to become an explosion. I can see how a freak confinement by rolling particularly hard might cause it though.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

True, kind of

My understanding was that the saltpeter is only applied to the paper. Even if they do it differently in Indonesia, having played with the stuff as a kid, I can say with confidence that it does not explode. Even black power (saltpeter + sulfur and + charcoal) doesn't explode with any force unless confined, and a paper cigarette barely qualifies.

I'm inclined to think either that cig was *seriously* tapered with, or Andi lost his teeth some other way (perhaps falling off the bike?) and invented this story to try and get some good out of it.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I thought there was a recession on?

£55 per tooth??? The tooth fairy in Indonesia must be loaded.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Any excuse for an old joke....

I've been smoking 30 years and there's nothing wrong with my lung.

10. Nebulo
    Thumb Up

Just have to hope

that "New" "Labour" don't hear about this, or the beggars will pass a law that says all cigarettes must explode, to discourage (or kill off) the last few smokers left in the country.

11. Neeblor

lies

I call shenanigans!

12. Bob 18
    Stop

As they say...

One more reason to quit NOW!

13. Rippy
    Dead Vulture

Wasn't that a Nero Wolfe novel?

Instead of Evidence, maybe? it's a long time ago. Serious, military-class exploding cigar.

Tombstone, just because.

G.

14. Connor Garvey

Shenanigans

I second Neeblor's shenanigans.

If that's him in the picture, he still has lips.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like