back to article Power7 power lunch and launch next Monday

It looks like IBM's initial Power7-based servers are going to be launched in New York on February 8. Big Blue sent out the invitations today. IBM is being vague about exactly what it wants to talk about at the event, which is being held Mandarin Oriental Hotel Ballroom on Columbus Circle, except to say that customers and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. -tim

Can't always get what you want..

Can I get one in a Mac Pro?

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
      Jobs Horns

Would you want to?

Apple's no longer supporting the PPC, ie no OS upgrades.

I don't know if the commercial shops are still building fat / ppc application binaries for OS X.

But yeah, I feel your pain :(

At a very critical moment, Apple possibly played the safer card and went intel. We now have to pay for it. Lame.

It's all apple's fault

2. Jesper Frimann
      Linux

Engines

Well it would be like putting a truck diesel engine in a porche.

// Jesper

3. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Gues..

that 8 AltiVec's running at 4+ GHz could be nice ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Cool...things are getting interesting

Nice scoop if it is true.

IBM only does announcements on Tuesdays so not sure what the Monday meeting is about. It might just be smarter planet. Either way it has to be better than the five hour Oracle/Sun self love session last week at the Oracle campus. Crazy Larry already left for the boat ride, so maybe Scooter will pinch hit with the Cat and the Mr. Bill Board.

I would think that generally it makes sense to put out the simpler system first then the high end which takes significantly more test last. Nothing to do with chip yields as the smaller systems have higher volume and use more chips.

Intel introduced Nehalem in a two socket four core a year ago and will finally introduce a four core eight socket this year. So go figure.

The Terminator has left Sun for IBM

3. E 2

If I...

bung in 4 5970's will it get me 100+ FPS in Crysis? Under Vista?

4. Kebabbert

E 2

Probably not, as Crysis is not helped by a large cache. Games uses lots of data that can not be cached: you enter a room, go into another room, explosions, fire, sound, enemies, etc. All that data is too much to cache. You never reuse the same data set, again and again. Hence, you can not cache.

As we all know, POWER6 can reach full speed only if it can cache everything in it's large cache. I expect POWER7 to be similar: depend upon a large cache. If those CPUs must go out to RAM and fetch data all the time, then performance drops significantly.

So, probably no Crysis.

5. David Halko
    Go

Can't wait to see it!

Alright!

Can't wait to see POWER7!

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Vendor Fanboys

Please have an open mind about Power7. Look at what it will do for the industry.

Do not bash something just because you usually bash anything but your favorite vendor.

HP - You'll have Tukwila soon enough...although its been pretty quiet lately

Sun - Try not to mention ROCK or Venus were canceled ....or how Yellowstone falls will not be for two more years.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sun T5440

I doubt anyone will be able to beat the T5440 result of 4,720 SAP users for years.

1. Jesper Frimann
      Thumb Up

What do you mean ?

You've gotta be kidding...

I predict that a four socket POWER7, the upgraded version of the POWER 550 will beat the T5440 with at least a factor of 3, on the SAP STD 2 Tier benchmark.

Basically POWER7 will clean house.

// Jesper

1. rch
        Thumb Up

Good call, Jesper!

"I predict that a four socket POWER7, the upgraded version of the POWER 550 will beat the T5440 with at least a factor of 3, on the SAP STD 2 Tier benchmark."

http://www.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx?num=100

9. E 2
    Happy

@Kebabbert

Hey, thanks for the explanation, but it was just a joke I was making.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like