back to article Federal judge slams Patriot Act

A federal judge today struck down provisions of the Patriot Act as unconstitutional, adding fuel to the politically charged debate over the controversial law. US District Judge Ann Aiken slammed Patriot Act amendments to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) for eviscerating the Fourth Amendment to the American …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JeffyPooh

The 'Rule of Law' in the USA

Hmmm. Is that why a copy of the Magna Carta (*) is being sold-off in the USA (**)? I mean, I guess they don't really need it any more, do they?

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_carta

** http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7014220.stm

2. Branedy

Let Freedom from tyranny reign

Finally a Federal Judge stands up for the Constitution

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Judge Ann Aiken is My Hero

With Congress to weak to Impeach King George W. and handing our rights awaay right and left it is nice to see a real voice of the people stand up.

4. Aram

The War On Terror©®

Game over man, game over!

The Terrists (authentic Du(m)bya pronunciation) have already won. In the space of a few years and with the help of truly gargantuan databases and a few constitutional shortcuts, we've lost many rights that took centuries to win (on both sides of the Atlantic).

Then again, what does it really matter? We've got barely half of the UK electorate voting and a decent chunk of the populace are barely literate or interested in the world around them.

Give 'em sports, soap operas and reality TV and continue to trample on their few remaining rights. No one will really notice.

5. laird cummings

Bread and circuses

I blame an increasingly poorly-educated populace. Power grabs by politicos are nothing new... If it's not the right snatching at the 4th amendment, it's the left, snatching at the 2nd and both sides are interested in interfering with how and what you can do with your person, your property, and your thoughts.

But that's old news - in the past, an aware and participant population kept the bastiches, left AND right, at bay. Not so any more. Now, increasingly, all the voters care about, when they care about anything, are bread and circuses.

Look in the mirrors, folks. You have the government you deserve.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

good.

It's moments like this that bring a smile to my face. Not all is lost in the US of A. Thanks Burke, always worth the read.

7. RRRoamer

Hard to ague with that...

"Look in the mirrors, folks. You have the government you deserve."

Between public education and mass media, it's amazing that ANYONE in the USA even remembers that we HAVE a Constitution!

8. Eric Dennis

FINALLY

Finally, a judge stands up for our constitution and our rights. It's about time someone stood up and did something about our rights being trampled on by the Bush/Cheney Circus.

9. Mike

Have you forgotten...

that this is all subject to review at the Supreme Court level, and that the Supreme Court is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the White House these days?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prosecute the Lying FBI & DOJ Agents

Since the court documents indicate that much of the reason that Brandon Mayfield and his family were so persecuted was due to sworn statements made by DOJ and FBI agents, I'll believe it's really going to do some good when I see them hauled up on charges. Lying under oath is a CRIME - it's called perjury. When they're prosecuted and convicted, I'll believe it.

11. Bernadette Newburg

Cheney Administration

Notice the author said "Cheney Administration." Always knew Dumbo the elephant was nothing more than a puppet.

"Look in the mirrors, folks. You have the government you deserve." Uh, I for one kinda resent that. I did not vote for the current monarchy; not either time. I have spent the past 7 years fighting every move he's made. It's the rest of the population that deserves the mess we're in. Well, okay, not everyone - I know there are other people out there who have their eyes wide open - and their heads on their shoulders, not up their asses. Of course, the rest of it is true - Give them their football, their remote, their Survivor, and their health insurance, and their cushy arm chair, and they couldn't care less if the rest of us go to hell in a handbasket. If it doesn't touch them, or affect their retirement plan, then it goes right over their head and under their feet. But when it finally does, they are the ones who scream the loudest. And when they hear about this, they will probably sarcastically say, "Oh, and you'd rather let the terrorists get away and blow up another skyscraper?"

It'll be interesting to see how long this judge has her job under the current regime. Or if they manage to get rid of her, too.

12. Eduard Coli

What do you expect?

The US of late has become a declining oligarchy not unlike those of Europe.

Like those in Europe it is very different country if you can afford it.

13. Tim Coughlin

Re: Have you forgotten...

"the Supreme Court is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the White House these days." I wouldn't count on this. One of the drawbacks to appointing conservative leaning folks is their tendency to adhere to the constitution literally. I believe this will eventually bite the Bush administration in the backside. Or, at least, I can hope so...

14. preethi

and

this is the government and country trying to teach freedoms and rights to other countries.

ever heard stones ....... glass houses

patch your own holes before ifngering others'

This topic is closed for new posts.