back to article Who's the world's largest tech firm?

The world's biggest technology company, by revenue, is now Samsung, which has just replaced HP at the top of the pile. For 2009 Samsung brought in revenue of $117.8bn, beating HP which made $114.6bn for the year ended 31 October. It is on track to beat the ink giant in 2010 too - predicting sales of $127bn versus $120bn at HP …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Flugal

Not HP

Didn't I read on E Reg recently that Microsoft claim HP to be the biggest?

2. ShaggyDoggy

HP

"Didn't I read on E Reg recently that Microsoft claim HP to be the biggest?"

Only for packaging

3. bbj

Surely totally wrong..

There is no way this is correct, its just Samsung and/or HP publishing ridiculous figures to make them look good. Clearly Apple are the biggest, best, most fantastic. Why let a few facts get in the way - oh I know why.....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Hate in the post?

Will people now start to hate Samsung purely because they are bigger than anyone else?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Commonality

While one looks at the strictly consumer end of things:

Who has the sexiest monitors/screens?

Samsung or HP

Who gives impression of having a forging ahead product portfolio?

Samsung or HP

One tips one's hat at Samsung.

6. Cucumber C Face
    IT Angle

Microwaves, vacuum cleaners etc incuded?

Samsung have a huge domestic white goods business - if these were not factored out would it not invalidate direct comparisons to MS, HP etc.

There are plainly infinite ways to slice and dice this but I don't see Samsung in many available top tens out there let alone number one e.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_global_technology_companies

7. The old man from scene 24

Depends what you mean by "tech" firm

Goldman Sachs's anual profit was $13.39 billion in 2009. Arguably they're a tech firm.

8. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    FAIL

Now if Samsung would only only...

...build a Blu-Ray player that knew how to play AVCHD.

9. Col. Panik
    Coat

GE is bigger -- do you consider it a tech firm?

As Mr. Face suggested, if you are including Samsung's machinery, appliance, and other businesses in the total, then the definition of "Tech Firm" should probably include GE. GE's reported revenue for 2008 was north of $180B.

Others will probably note that GE doesn't do much in home appliances (or it won't soon) and that a large portion (more than half?) comes from GE Finance activities. So, as others have pointed out "Tech Firm" is not so firm a definition. Any company involved in big machinery or infrastructure is likely to have a significant corporate finance arm. (I remember during the incoming employee orientation at GE R&D we were all told that GE engineering exists to design things that GE manufacturing would build, and that GE manufacturing exists to give people reasons to finance purchases through GE Finance. Chilling, perhaps, but at least frank.)

Mine's the one with the propeller on top.

1. Disco-Legend-Zeke
      Thumb Up

The BASIC language...

...was written on the GE 235 and Datanet 30 computers. In the 60's.

10. Ed Vim

Re: Hate in the post?

>> Will people now start to hate Samsung purely because they are bigger than anyone else?

Tired of hearing this simplistic analysis regarding Microsoft. It's baby logic to think MS is scorned so much simply because it's size. The problem is the unethical and immoral business style MS has used to become a government sanctioned monopoly. MS doesn't offer better products, it rigs the system to the point where there's no real competition.

11. Eddie Johnson
    FAIL

What a Coincidence

They've arrived at the top, volume wise, just as they arrive at the bottom quality wise. A few years ago I was recommending people look at Samsung consumer electronics, now I'm recommending they be avoided. Wanna see a really, really bad Blu/DVD player? Check out a BD-P1400. Or a BD-P1500. Or a BD-P1600. Or... well.. pretty much the whole lineup.

12. JC 2

@ Hate in the post

What makes you think that people prone to hate the biggest, don't hate the biggest top 5, 10, or just hate success in general?

I'll have to agree with Ed Vim though, MS stepped on a lot of toes on their way up and continue to do so.

13. Mike 135
    Go

Watch out for Samsung

I heard they are developing watches with mini projectors and infrared type keyboard things. essentially a laptop in a watch. As well as this they will make watches that monitor your pulse and blood pressure. You can then upload this to a pc and turn your life into an excel graph.

I have been to Samsungs main research HQ in the Suwon disctrict south of Seoul. The place was cramed full of dudes running round with wafer FOUPs, they have 10 fab plants and 2 research fab lines in that facility alone. They also have their own university on site. The Korean government has spent incredible amounts on science education focusing on semiconductor and electronic materials engineering. I wouldn't be surprised if they are competing with Intel, AMD and NVIDIA very soon.

1. Mike Hanna
      FAIL

Mini projector in a watch?

So when you're typing on the IR keyboard and your wrist is bouncing about the screen will too. And what happens if you want to be watching pr0n on the projector... The picture bouncing all over the place is surely going to ruin the experience...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like