back to article HTC Hero to get Android 2.1 update in March

Looking forward to the release of Android 2 for the HTC Hero smartphone? Bad news: it may not appear until March, a month or so after the anticipated February delivery date. So says a representative of Irish network Meteor who claims to have heard it from the horse's mouth. HTC Hero HTC's Hero: successor out before original …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Lost focus...

IMHO, HTC have been too busy pumping out products (getting the Nexus One out there for example) than caring about existing Hero users/early adopters. There are some awful bugs with 1.5, ranging from the time it takes to delete multiple text messages to it's odd Wifi traits, but all in all it's a very good OS. Just needs a polish.

1. Greg D
      WTF?

re: lost focus

Deleting multiple text messages: go to Messages > Menu > Delete > mark the messages you want gone > Delete

Why is that a bug? :P

1. Christopher Rogers
        Go

its not a bug as such...

its another feature that is a victim of the slow response times seen on the handset. apparently 2.1 addresses these....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Bring it on!

I agree with AC 12:13. I think it is a great OS & the 2.1 upgrade will be icing on the cake. Orange might bring out the upgrade in about June?

1. Paul Paul

ooo by the way

You probably all know this but I just thought I would see if HTC had updated their sync software so it would be compatible with Windows 7. It appears they put the sync update on a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.htc.com/uk/supportdownloadlist.aspx?p_id=283&act=sd&cat=all

Will be able to update with the new firmware when it arrives then. Er do you think we will have to install the Android 2.1 firmware whilst connected to the pc or might it be an over the air update?

3. James Dunmore
    Stop

Magic...?

Will, as originally reported, the update work on the HTC Magic. Us early adopters have been (pretty much) shafted.

I know I could root/mod my phone, but really that is not what I want to do (voids warranty), but seems increasingly like I'm going to have to.

Hate to say it, but if the current (bad) treatment of existing customers continues, I can only see the iPhone route as a viable option next time around (I don't want to buy a new phone, then 6months later find the software doesn't update).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Erm

The HTC Magic has already been updated to 1.6 by Vodafone, so not sure what you're talking about.

And as for all this "bad treatment" rubbish, you need to consider the realities of business. New products and customers will always be more important than the overhead of supporting existing users. That's just life. If you really want 1.6 (or 2, or 2.1) then you can root and install yourself.

And if you want a phone which is guaranteed to have timely updates of the later versions of the OS, ensure you don't buy a device with a custom-baked ROM (like the HTC sense UI stuff). All of the Google-experience phones (e.g., the Voda HTC Magic, the Nexus one, etc) will get the updates earlier than phones where the OEM has to build and test a new cooked version of the ROM with all their add-ons.

1. Olivier 2
        Megaphone

Existing customers are future new customers

The Magic doesn't have any custom addition and is a Google branded phone. Vodafone say they have no control over the upgrade process and that it is driven by Google. Apple upgrade all the models they can because it helps the sale of new handsets. And customers have expectations. That's also business.

4. Olivier 2
    WTF?

Magic ????

I don't understand why there is so little communication around these upgrades. I don't even need to know the date but why doesn't google/htc say which phone will or will not be upgraded ?

I am delighted with 1.6 on my Magic but as a google phone, I expect I will get more than just the 1.6 update.

I want to get a nexus but I am waiting to see how google and phone manufacturers will treat their customers.

Might have to go iPhone after all if that's the best they can come up with.

5. CitizenErazed

I've given up hoping.

There are only two reasons I want the update - one, for the market app that's not a pile of something messy, and two, for whatever theoretical battery usage improvements I might get out of it. But I'd still like it, /because/. It doesn't help that everything that's mentioned is basically rumour and speculation - the most concrete evidence we've ever had is a tweet from HTC saying 1st half 2010.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

The Nexus One experience....

...is that HTC clearly has the 2.1 code and has produced a nicely put together and polished phone, I've done some testing on it for work purposes and it really is rather nice. Makes my Hero seem a little behind the times, but only in terms of speed and the bigger display. Not all of the speed increase is down to the faster processor I think, the Android 2.1 code is understood to be significantly better than 1.5 was.

However, I don't think HTC are stupid, they know that having mentioned the updates in the US in 2H 2010 that this includes the delays of building customer specific variants. They have clearly had 2.1 a fair amount of time, and if they have the resource to update Sense UI (a major plank of their product portfolio after all across platforms) then I'm sure that they will have been ironing out the wrinkles. There are plenty of leaked 2.1 on Hero videos on Youtube, so they must be pretty close. I imagine that they would be quite happy to release around the time of MWC in mid-February, and there have been plenty of "early in the new year" hints too.

The one thing I really want it to have Bluetooth phonebook access profile so it works better with my car kit, but I have to say that the Sense UI means my Hero looks much nicer than the Nexus One.

And anyway, how much software actually makes it out when people say it will? I'll not notice the delay if I spend the timing sinking a pint or three :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like