back to article Apple iPad to hit UK this March

Apple has confirmed that its iPad tablet will appear in Blighty the month after next. A late March UK iPad arrival is all Apple’s European PR team is willing to say for now. The company hasn’t confirmed what the device’s starting price will be, and the March launch is only expected to apply to the Wi-Fi iPad. Even in the US, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mr vit
    Headmaster

it's just a fat ipod touch

you'll need a new fat manbag to go with it..

who is it aimed at?

2. Jason 23
    Happy

idiots

No, its not aimed at idiots, its aimed at people who want to surf the web/watch tv and read books without getting a bulky laptop out. (er...or a book, obviously)

I wont replace my macbook with one, but for chilling out on the sofa surfin while the missis hogs the laptop/tv then its great, and I'd consider one if I had the spare cash.

Will wait for the next version in truth...assuming I like it when I have a play in PCWorld in a few months :)

Techie geeks please shut up - ITS NOT AIMED AT YOU NOW PEE OFF AND GET A GIRLFRIEND!!!!

3. ukmountie
    Jobs Halo

Grandads first PC

It's great, and it's aimed at Techie geeks, just not the way you think. All those people who ask you what kind of PC should I buy that you've then ended up supporting forever... this is for them.

It is about as close to an unbreakable web browsing, email machine as you can get. It will even handle photo's and let you do the odd document and spreadsheet.

I'm a bit disapointed that it doesn't have a facing camera for iChat/Skype. However that's certain to appear in V2 of the product. And I'm disapointed about multitasking, but for most people it simply won't matter. And which is easier, explaining to Grandad how to get to a background task that's making farting noises every minute, or telling him to push the big "go home" button.

I hope he sells 10's of millions. :-)

1. Macka

I agree

My next door neighbor is a retired ex builder and doesn't own a computer. One of these would be perfect for him. My mother's laptop has also just thrown a fit after some Microsoft update went wrong. According to my father it keeps asking him to reinstall Office every time she tries to use Outlook. My mum just needs to browse the web and do email, so the iPad would be perfect for her. In the mean time I've offered to install Ubuntu on it ;)

4. strangefish

of course

it won't be £309 it will more likely be around the £400 mark if the usual exchange rate rip-off applies once it has taken a trip back across the sea to good old blighty

1. Macka

Don't forget VAT

None of the US prices shown include taxes, so even if (for a change) we got an exact exchange rate conversion, there's still VAT to add onto that.

Of cause we're the ones who are to blame for previous inflated prices because despite being shafted, we still choose to buy. Sometimes I think Apple play this game deliberately, especially if they're struggling to supply enough product to meet demand. If it turns out that demand for the iPad in the home US market is strong then the rest of the world will get limited shipments while they ramp up productiion, and the unit price will initially be higher to cream off those people with deeper pockets and a compulsion to buy. Later on when production is in full swing and the market needs a second kick to really get things going, there will be a price drop. They can get away with this more for international markets because the exchange rate gives them an excuse to play around with the prices and we just encourage them if we continue to buy when the price is high.

5. Ascylto
    Jobs Horns

Prices

These are going to be crucial to success.

As usual ... WE IN THE UK WILL BE RIPPED OFF!

6. Willum08
    FAIL

No Way

Wouldn't have one as a gift - or anything with an 'i' .................

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like