back to article Government IT strategy confirms savings target

The Cabinet Office has launched the new Government ICT Strategy with the claim it will save £3.2bn per year from 2013-14. The document, published on 27 January 2010, brings together the initiatives launched over the past year in what it describes as a plan for a "smarter, cheaper and greener public sector ICT infrastructure …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Miller
    WTF?

Dogbert lives!

Please may I be government CIO? I promise to reduce spending by £4bn starting in 2013-4. I just need a 3-year contract at an utterly outrageous salary + guaranteed bonuses and a suitable golden parachute.

Thanks in advance.

1. Andy ORourke
      Joke

I'll See your £4bn spending reduction

and raise you to £5bn by 2012-13, I just need a 2 year contract at an even more outrageous salary, bonuses and a golden parachute

2. Gulfie
    FAIL

Ahem...

Has the government taken into account the no doubt lengthy negotiations between suppliers, and between government and suppliers, to effect the common desktop? I foresee that suppliers will stiff the government for a modification of their contract. And that's before we touch on the technical aspects of the subtly different builds required and the security implications of adopting the lowest common denominator approach that will be required.

I can also foresee similar issues combining the data centres.

In summary, I suspect these savings are (a) over-hyped and (b) mostly not available anytime soon. Yes, you can set up a 'G-cloud' (what a name) quickly, but if you've not developed applications to run inside a standard 'containerised' environment, and not catered for the build and deployment of runtimes either, your cloud is going to sit idle for some months.

I feel an epic fail approaching...

3. Skizz
    Coat

Would the cloud use open standards?

In which case, it would be an Open Government Cloud, or OGC for short! Long live comedy logos.

Would the data centres hosting the G-Cloud be called the G-Spots?

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

Of course it will still run IE 6

On paper, all *apparently* simple, common sense things for a large (and the UK governemnt is very large) institution to do.

The data centre migration *might* be the simplest (and possibly only) one that is pulled off.

Cancelling big *ongoing* projects (did someone say ID cards or the NHS IT programme?) would proobably make these savings lookin insignficant.

Someone I sense *epic* fail.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just impossible to believe this government

it has just been lie heaped upon lie, and it is due to malice and ignorance in near indistinguishable proportion.

Did anyone catch the Security inquiry, they just don't have a clue. It was bizarre, something akin to watching nursery school children being explained the periodic table by Marvin the Mole of Atoms.

Shocking, grown men and women not capable of discussing or comprehending the level of detail that is required of the subject and which they will pass some form of judgement on. We have retards governing, the village idiots are in power, terrifying.

6. Seanmon
    Stop

Hang on...

Isn't the abbreviation "ICT" banned here at El Reg, on the grounds that anyone using it instantly indentifies themselves as a pontificating windbag with no understanding of technology issues and only the most tenuous connection to the real world?

Oh... wait. I see.

7. bobbles31
    Unhappy

Bare faced lieing

and they aren't even trying to hide it any more.

8. Richard Porter
    FAIL

"We are committed to putting the public's needs first,"

Oh yes? Why then are government departments and quangos releasing documents in recent versions of PDF which aren't supported on all platforms and therefore are not portable?

9. Richard Porter
    Coat

Re. Hang on...

Er, isn't ICT International Computers and Tabulators Ltd.?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like