back to article Vodafone UK loses roamers worldwide

A network glitch left Vodafone UK customers travelling abroad without data and voice connectivity this morning. The mobile operator said the problem has been resolved, and that a third-party carrier was responsible for the down time. The problems weren't universal, but they were global and hit a lot of roaming users. Reg …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adrian Jones

"The problems weren't universal, but they were global..."

So only those currently on this planet were affected?

2. Rob

@Adrian

Obviously... I've been on Mars for the past few days and my vodafone worked fine.

3. Neil Hoskins

"Reg readers... complained of being unable to get connections..."

So how did they contact you?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Moscow not in Europe

Vodafone may have coughed to it, but a lot of geographers might take issue with that statement.

Moscow is well west of the Urals, at the very least.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funny definition of Europe

We were told this morning (I work for a Voda SP) that the problem was affecting users as far afield as China and Japan - indeed I had customers confirm this was the case - which is a bit more than Europe.

Frankly it's been a bad day on the network full stop...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GSM Roaming Issues

Interestiingly, the Incident Management Report Summary says:

"The Managed Roaming Platform was removed from the network, subsequent changes were also required to support the removal of this."

Perhaps there billing system didn't remind them to pay for the annual license for it?

7. John M

Orange

I'm in the City of London today, and Orange is helpfully diverting all calls to me straight to my voicemail, without giving me the opportunity to answer them. Whilst this is doing wonders for my productivity, it's annoyed the hell out of my wife. Anybody else having a similar problem?

8. Martin Richards

Vodafone Voicemail notifications

I get the chance to answer calls OK, but if I do miss one, they seem to have stopped telling me about it... I have to dial voicemail and see if I've got anything rather than the usual notification text and icon. Seems to have been going on for 2 or 3 days. Is it just me they're out to get?

9. Steve

Not just Voda UK

My phone service is supplied by SFR, the French operator who is a Voda partner. I spent the last two weeks in Italy, during which I could roam onto TIM and WIND, but Vodafone Italy (the preferred network) was showing up as "Forbidden". My wife's SFR phone, though, happily roamed to Vodafone Italy...

10. Gordon

Incommunicado

I'm in the City of Munich today, and Vodafone is helpfully diverting all calls to me straight to my voicemail, without giving me the opportunity to answer them. Whilst this is doing wonders for my participation in Oktoberfest, it's annoyed the hell out of my wife. Anybody else having a similar problem?

11. Chris Royles

I have had Vodafone issues over the last few weeks on domestic calls

Our company (1000s employees) has a Vodafone business account, I have a personal Vodafone UK account. Both accounts, and my collegues have experienced dropped calls, no connections, long waits for connections and silent connections recently.

This has been happening quite often since the 18th. I would say 1 in 3 calls completes OK, even with full network connectivity indicated on the handset.

Our MIS team have quite a few reports logged, with issues with making calls on the business account.

I think there is an issue accross the board, some form of connection timeout, maybe more evident with roaming profiles due to connection delay (???), but also evident on non roaming calls!

12. Adrian Jones

@Rob

You are amanfrommars and I claim my £5. :)

13. Richard Hesketh

I too suffer Vodafone on two fronts

At home and at work recently I've also had silent connections, long waits for connections that sometimes ail, sometimes succeed. Voicemail notifications that can arrive up to 14 days after the call, and calls diverted to voicemail for no readily apparent reason.

Frankly I'm pretty hacked off with Vodafone, but of course they won't give two hoots about me as an individual, and my employer is too small an account ot hold sway - Vodafone deal direct with us corporately anyway, we have to use a service provider.

I'm on the cusp of saying 'screw your contract Vodafone, I want out!' What do we have to do to get these muppets to run a dependable network - I'm beginning to regret leaving Orange! Petition anyone?

14. MGJ

Billing

Has anyone been able to access their bill for the last two months? If you complain, they say they will send you it on paper but it miraculously then gets lost in the post. My last bill was double my normal one and I have no idea how it got so high.

If this was a public sector organisation, we'd never hear the end of it but of course private companies IT project always go brilliantly ;-)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How did they contact you

Ever heard of email Neil?

(From the contact in Johannesburg - which despite the Americans' understanding that anything in EMEA must be in Europe is pretty definitely in Africa).

Helpfully, (not) if anyone tried to call me using a sufficiently intelligent calling system they got told that the number didn't exist - a pity since I had been going to leave a very sarcastic greeting on my voicemail as we reached the (at least) sixth hour with no service.

16. andy

co-incidence?

Is it just a co-incidence that I get no signal in central Bristol this morning?

17. Keith Mitchell

Vodaroaming Woes

LOL - I was in Brussels meeting Proximus, the Belgian operator who bought back Voda's holding last year. Speculation was rife as to the casue of my non-connectivity on 2 devices, now all is clear!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think it was larger still

I work for a UK Company in South Africa (Johannesburg).

I have 45 People based in Johannesburg and all use Voda UK Blackberries, they all had this problem, also 20 users in moscow, others in Europe had the same problem.

I incidentally had a meeting with another mobile company MTN here and they were saying that their users abroad had the same problem.

So it does point to a "carrier" problem to me.

Funny thing was i got the Management Report Summary emails from both networks within 15 mins of each other and both had the same resolution.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That explains....

why both me and the boss had no signal in Beijing last night.

wonder if they had similar issues today as I called her this afternoon and it didn't go to voice mail, and this evening I called and left a voicemail advising i was heading to the bar, and she was rather miffed that i hadn't told her when we met for dinner!!

20. David Reynolds

Brussels problems

I am in Brussels and Bel Proximus will not connect any of the services such as 2345 for topups or 191 for customer services ... although I do get the helpful sms messages from Vodafone reminding me to stay with Proximus for voice messages etc :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like