back to article HP talks up slate launch

HP has confirmed plans to launch a tablet later this year, hinting that the machine will cost considerably less than $1500 (£930). The PC giant teamed up with Microsoft to unveil the tablet – currently unofficially referred to as the HP Slate – at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) earlier this month. Phil McKinney, CTO of HP …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jaques Croissant

wow, they're shooting to get it cheaper than a macbook?

..slightly?

Not whelmed, I'd only be tempted if it were around netbook price, otherwise I'll stick with what I have... It's a very.. well, very HP sort of machine.. competant but deadly dull. If it's also expensive, and less powerful than an equivalently-powered laptop..

Most folks have a fairly toy-centric use case for a tablet, so it might well need to cost less, or have a bigger "wow" factor to really sell.

1. Michael C
      Thumb Down

What?

Huh? The MacBook is $899... a 13" MacBook Pro starts at 1099. and the top of the line 13" starts at under 1500... Even the Macbook Air is $1400 starting....

"under 1500" and coming out in summer or later 2010 is not a compelling price point. You are correct that most use cases for a tablet outside of data input in a business are for media centric purposes. A Tablet is not a full-time machine, it;s at best a secondary PC. I don't want a tablet that takes 45 seconds to boot, has to be maintained like any other PC, and for which I need a couple hundred in software licenses to get anything done. This is where Windows falls flat.

If Apple does release a sub $900 iPhone OS based tablet, out of the box it will be nearly instant-on, be home connected, require little effort at all to maintain, requires no AV, requires no "integration" into the home network (streaming is easy, syncing is easy, configuring home networking between PCs to do the same is not), and it's interface is designed for quick and easy use, typing a quick e-mail, posting an album on-line, editing Facebook, or playing a movie to the TV. If you need something more, you need a notebook and even a Win7 based tablet is going to be a poor substitute. An instant gratification platform, like a big iPhone but with some basic document editing features, a version of iPhoto lite, and a small local addressable file system (in addition to the 16 or 32GB of regular media storage) is a perfect solution for something i can leave in the living room and let the whole family use, or take it to the beach. I'm not going to do that with a 3lb 1" thick PC...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

less than an inch and under £930

Wow, that is just too exciting, if it was 1995!!!

There has already been a mac book air, there has already been tablet laptops (toshiba swivel screen effort). I'm sure i saw an advert once that said HP innovate, well not judging by this they dont.

3. Michael C
    FAIL

Not a product I want

Look, if the think is as thick as a notebook, runs Windows (and has to be maintained like it), and has not much more than netbook performance (maybe low end notebook performance), with some HD flare sprinkled on it, yet you take away my keyboard, a form factor I can use on a lap, and the optical drive and charge me a $500+ premium?

Why would I want this? If I'm lugging around a 3lb PC "slate" that I have to maintain like a PC, for the same price or less I could have a much nicer PC (better yet a Mac with Windows on it too)...

A "Tablet" is one thing, a slate is another. A slate must be sleek, light, and provide simple functions, as an EXTENTION of my PC, not simply a second, lower class PC, that I also have to maintain.

Though we don't have formal specs or pricing on Apple's tablet yet, if rumors are true (they're usually not far off this close to release, we're looking at an $800-900 machine that can do 1080p HD (likely wirelessly), play 3D games in much higher resolution than any current portable system other than a full blown notebook, has a beautiful multi-touch OS (designed for it, not hacked on top of Win 7), it can edit documents on the run and sync with the cloud, you can get apps for it for a couple dollars each (and it runs all the ones you already have for your iPhone, and shares it's licenses with up to 5 devices in a household), it weighs about a pound and is less than Half an inch thick, and it has an OS I don't have to muck around with. It's a natural multimedia extension of my PCs and Macs in the house, usable by the whole family, and great for quick tasks like checking mail or syncing some photos or controlling the home theater. Why would I pay more for something less powerful that weighs more and has less unique functionality?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Tee Hee

inch thick?

</Tee Hee>

5. Lockwood

HP Tablet?

Like the HP/Compaq tc1100?

6. D@v3
    FAIL

What's all the fuss?

I have had (for some 5 years) a tablet PC (not a slate admittedly), made by HP. Cost under £600, has a decent touch screen and stylus, handwriting recognition that (mostly) works, and a removable DVD RW drive.

Apart from the battery (which I have killed, although kindly it came with a spare!) it still works well, and has since been updated to Win7. There is no way I'd be interested in paying more, for (what is essentially) less.

7. Chigaimasmaro

They must love what they are drinking

If they brought this out to compete with eBooks or with Apple if they bring out a tablet, they must be drinking some serious sewage. That price tag is way too high for so little features.

8. Charles Manning

Win7?

Well that explains why it has taken so long. It has taken a while for Moore's Law to make the required resources small enough to fit in the box.

Battery life surely sucks, but it will depend on what it is used for.

What are the primary markets?

I've heard of tablets being touted for use in hospitals etc (every nurse carries one to instantly access and update patient records). But for that you really want something that can last a whole shift (12 hours) on a single battery - two at an absolute stretch.

9. Alan Thompson
    Thumb Up

Did you even watch the video?

The HP CTO said that IF they had released is a few years ago it WOULD have cost the now extremely high cost of $1500. But PH didn't want to release it as a niche product like most of the swivel screen "tablet" PCs. Instead, when it releases later this year it will be priced at "mainstream" levels.

To me that means if it has an atom processor and a 10.1" or less screen it will come in between $300-500. Over $500 with an atom processor would make it a impractical for most use cases. At this price point there would be almost no reason to ever consider a netbook.

However, if it comes with one of the new CULV Core 2 duo procs, I could see it selling for $600-800.

With AMD procs they could potentially provide additional power at the same price or the same power at lower prices - like the Acer Ferrari 1810. The most critical things for me are Price, Processor Power (not speed), and Battery Life. A six cell battery would be imperative for 6-10 hours of real use.

I will definitely be buying one if either of these price points is met with their respective procs (or equivalent) and battery life.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Did Fujitsu Siemens not do this?

A few years back Fujitsu Siemens launched a "slate" tablet. Looked cool but was not very useful as you had to do all input via the screen or carry a seperate keyboard/mouse/stand.....

And who says History doesn't repeat itself?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like