back to article Google Chrome 4 lands (Windows) extensions on world+dog

Google has unveiled a "stable" Windows version of Chrome 4.0, providing all PC-based users with access to its new Chrome extension gallery. Mountain View unveiled Chrome extensions in early December, but until today, they were only available to those running the Chrome 4.0 beta. Google says the Chrome extensions gallery now …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

'fanbois still waiting'

By 'fanbois', do you mean people who use Macs?

Oh for f#sk sakes Register, get of this tired old bandwagon already - it's getting really boring now.

Yep, I'm using a Mac right now, it's great - best damn computer I've ever owned... but, I've got an Ubuntu box upstairs and my PVR is running Ubuntu.

I'm running Ubuntu at work with an XP virtual install.

Does that make me an Ubuntu 'fanboi'?

Whatever, it means I can choose to install Chrome on another platform - or perish the thought, on a virtual machine on my fanboi???

BAH!

1. Gil

Re: Fanboi

Shut up, you fanboi

1. Pandy06269

Well said, Matt

I wholely agree with Matt - I'm using XP at work right now but my main computer at home is a Mac and yes it's the best I've ever had - I'm not going back to a PC that can only run Windows.

But I also run Windows 7 on occasion on that Mac, and I also have two Ubuntu VMs on the Mac, and 8 Ubuntu servers at work - I use the best OS to suit the job.

So, Gil, what does that make me?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Megaphone

So, Gil, what does that make me?

Isn't it obvious?

"Shut up, you fanboi"

Won't be long before there is a new definition of a Fanboi: one who complains about being called a fanboi.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@matt 89

This is a typical rant from a fanboi... just accept your fate and you'll be much much happier!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Badgers

Time to change your tune?

By 'fanbois', do you mean people who use Macs?

Yes.

By 'freetard', do you mean people who use *nix & open source?

Yes

to put it simply Freetard = some one who doesn't pay. Fanbois = someone who overpays.

So whats a Windows user? well if they pirate everything then freetard - if they buy everything a fanboi.

Now get over it. The rest of us have.

argh too many icons apply...

:Thumbsup:GO:flame:grenade:shouty:Pirate:Penguin:MSLove:MSHate:MacLove:MacHate:Badgers Paws:

4. OffBeatMammal
      Troll

how do you think the windows users feel...

.... when almost everywhere else they are the ones constantly sh@t upon for being stupid sheeple

I have a Mac, an Ubuntu machine and several Windows ones so visit several sorts of communities.

The Mac ones tend to be "oh, shiny! shiny!" and don't dare ask questions that imply the Mac isn't perfect because obviously you're just not cool enough to get it.

The Ubuntu ones tend to be totally propeller head and woe betide you asking a question and ending with " and hopefully there is a way to do this in the UI" because obviously you're a Windows (or Mac) using looser who doesn't realised the power of Linux and people who need GUIs are l4m3rz

The Windows ones tend to be like a confused old uncle. lots of well meaning folks pointing you to circular references that don't really answer your problem.

Sadly... these stereotypes will continue to be reflected and picked on until they are no longer true (and maybe then just for a few more years until the horse is truely dead)

BTW I do think the high end Mac laptops are amazing

2. Eddy Ito
    Grenade

"Your operating system is not supported."

"Google Chrome is available for Mac OS X 10.5 or later, Intel only"

Yes, I'm still running a PPC chipped ibook. It works fine for what I use it for. Yes, I have a perfectly good atom/ion combo but it's attached to my TV and yes, I have a nice quad core desktop for doing the heaving lifting... But, inasmuch as this is pretty much my pre-netbook netbook used for my casual surfing, I'm not buying another while it still works fine and will simply do without Chrome and it's hair extensions. So what if I can't watch the metropolitan opera in HD online? That's what the big screen is for, thank you very much.

1. OffBeatMammal

PPCs Macs are a dying breed

it's sad but if you look at Adobe and Microsoft and even Apple they've all declared the PPC machines end of life.

Time - and hardware - moves on and so my original MacBook Pro (tiny little 12" one) has been added to the museum in my cupboard!

For a while I ran a VNC client on it to get to a newer shinier machine for heavy lifting and used the PPC one for web and email but the experience was lack luster so I bit the bullet and took the upgrade (deals on refurbished Macs from Apple are pretty sweet by the way)

3. Big-nosed Pengie

title

Do they have NoScript yet?

No NoScript, no deal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Or Adblock

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

1. Ralph B

Adblock and Noscript

Yes, Chrome has Adblock (first thing I installed), but it doesn't seem to have Noscript (at least, not under that name.)

Worse is that this long-term Opera user can't find an equivalent to the mouse click gestures to go back and forward in history that's hard-coded into my spinal column. Oh, there's an extension that gives you a single page back/forward, but not two or more pages. Irritating.

2. OffBeatMammal

Chrome has the fasted javascript engine

and the first thing you want to do is turn it off?!

4. KenBW2

@Fanboi rant

You use Ubuntu? Then you'll be equally annoyed at being called a Freetard then?

Get over it, I have

5. Il Midga di Macaroni
    Thumb Up

42% performance improvement?!?

I'd expect IE9 to have a 42% improvement over IE8 because IE8 is still about a tenth the speed of any other browser, but Chrome, already one of the fastest browsers available?!

They must have some fairly smart cookies there in the Chocolate Factory.

1. James Hughes 1

I was thinking much the same

It's refreshing that there are still coders out there who can optimise. I see so much rubbish code nowadays it's scary. People have got so used to huge CPU/Memory limits that code is bloated and inefficient, and companies rarely give up development time to improve. Coders who grew up on BBC micros and 640KB 8Mhz PC's write much more effective code.

For companies, more features = better instead of make faster = better. Glad to see Google is going for the second option.

1. Keith Oldham

Re : I was thinking much the same

Sorry, I just had to say that I started programming on a Science of Cambridge (=Sinclair) Mk14 with 256 BYTES of RAM - you could JUST fit a moon-landing game in.

2. Bassey

Re: I was thinking much the same

> Coders who grew up on BBC micros and 640KB 8Mhz PC's write much more effective code.

That's not entirely true. I grew up coding a Speccy 48k but my code is still bloated and inefficient. You might not like it - but when you are writing code for a living, "just works" is usually fine. It's okay for some guy in the Chocolate Factory, churning out code that they give away, to spend hours fine tuning everything. I have to hit features and deadlines and pass tests. Anything else is a cost.

You might not like it, I'm certainly not keen but that's reality for most of us.

6. Lars Silver badge
    Linux

Sentences get old

Sentences get old and tired, fruit company, fanbois, freetards etc.

Invent something new, and besides, what about the fangirls.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

hey .. weren't you at the party ?

.. that would be fangurlz .. silly

2. Pithy Username
      Grenade

@Lars

Have you ever watched the X-Factor, Eastenders, X's Got Talent or any program -"On Ice"?

IMHO (I should think of another acronym for that, I guess) people just love seeing the same old thing.

I love the fact that:

1. Vulture Central moved from having all comments visible to having them on a link, so I don't get pestered by the comments of, in the words of Newton, "little Smatterers".

2. Sometimes the journos at El reg bait the masses (such as myself) into checking out the comments by using title words such as Freetards and Fanbois. I know I won't be disappointed, and wasn't this time. I've *got* a Mac and don't code, so if I want to use tiny-userbase programs someone has released, I'll probably need to use Windows of some flavour.*

In summary, I find Fanbois, as both a word and a concept, bloody funny...!

*I could dual-boot, I could use Parallels, I could even use WINE, but I may as well use Win7 to save time using something that often needs to run natively as it has been written in bedrooms.

7. Sim
    Coat

Ad Block?

err.. probably not

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

...or...

In light of CC's comment "definitely yes"

2. Benny
      Thumb Up

You mean like this?

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?hl=en-US

8. CC
    Thumb Up

Now I can use this without all the advertising crap!!

Well, It is much faster than FF 3.6 and the extensions like Flash Block are much better done than in FF as is the Ad Blocker and the Click and Clean, just what I use currently and it has really made Chrome something I will be using as my default browser from now on with FF as backup.

Safari and Opera have been relegated to Interesting but not worth wasting time on.

9. nobby
    Unhappy

i must be old or jaded.

well i just paged through ten pages of "most popular" extensions and didn't see one that looked worth the effort to download.

i think i must be old *and* jaded

10. James 127
    FAIL

Still not compatible with PayPal

I'm very close to switching from FF but Chrome still does not work with eBay's & PayPal's postage.

Fix that and I'm ready to make the move now that we have a proper adblocker

11. Barry Tabrah

Six of one, half a dozen of the other

Is there really a tangible benefit to installing Chrome on a Mac? After all, Safari and Chrome are both based on Webkit and it's not like Safari is unstable or particularly slow (unlike our good ol' PC friend IE).

1. mccp

Tangible - maybe not, but...

I use Chrome on a Mac just because I find it easier to use than Safari and I like the New Tab page on Chrome, better that than Safari's equivalent.

@ the fanbois at the top - the trouble is, although you don't like the term, you still can't help gushing about how great your Macs are; plus, the whole point about a wind up is to get a response - keep quiet if you want the term to go away.

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Metz, you utter hack...

if you could be arsed to look into it, rather than thinking up 'witty quips' to taunt 'fanboi's' with, you'd gone to the extensions page (http://chrome.google.com/extensions btw) and notice that it says this;

"Google Chrome Extensions are not supported on your browser. Please download the Dev Channel of Google Chrome to install extensions." with a handy link to the dev version, that works just fine, thanksverymuchforasking; http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?extra=devchannel

Now admittedly, this isn't the 'gold' RTM (or whatever you want to describe it as), but to guffaw at the Mac faithful because they can't access features that have *only just* been released on the Windows is a bit puerile, unless you're looking for click throughs. The fact is if one is prepared to use a 'dev' version, then this feature *is* available on the Mac version. This *is* Google were talking about, isn't all their software in beta/dev in perpetuum?

13. Tim Croydon

NTLM

They just need to get NTLM working so I can see my company intranet without having to enter credentials all the time and I can finally use a single browser for everything!

14. mhenriday

Those who use the stable version of Chrome

are to be congratulated - as we users of the so-called «dev channel» know, version 4 of the browser is a real doozy - quick, reliable, and not least, over a thousand extensions, among which a good adblocker, AdBlock+, Delicious Bookmarks, AutoPen, etc, etc. Way to go, Google !...

Henri

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whats Better than calling someone a fanboi?

Getting them to rise to the bait!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like